• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LBA

Cannot see him doing it this next year..sadly !

David Jennings to retire next year? Is that what I should interpret from this comment or that he is not going to consult Ouiga board but pray to the God of Rowing!

What ever the case - he will be sadly missed - he has contributed so much to the world of Rowing especially GPS.

L

LBA

I think I did something wrong - sorry.

David Jennings to retire next year? Is that what I should interpret from this comment or that he is not going to consult Ouiga board but pray to the God of Rowing!

What ever the case - he will be sadly missed - he has contributed so much to the world of Rowing especially GPS.

L

LBA

Another exciting day of racing - I made it all over the course today. Love love the start! Back behind those barricade's please - but I was a rebel and said there is a toilet block.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Im told the change in the grammar crew was necessitated by injury and that another change for the sam reason occurred between races today

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I think I did something wrong - sorry.

I think he meant that he may not be able to win (again) next year.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Another exciting day of racing - I made it all over the course today. Love love the start! Back behind those barricade's please - but I was a rebel and said there is a toilet block.
Watch it! Those BROs are tetchy about the 100m exclusion zone! It's like they give an AVO to the spectators. Because the aligner is in the box they can't catch you so well...Hope you got plenty of kms done on the bike.

L

LBA

Surely he would not have given up just yet !!

Isn't interesting how you can interrupt the written word differently.

This is not the first time you have explained things to me "Little Pig".

Thank you

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Well thank God for genuine female eights racing at ISRA today! It really sticks in my craw that coaches from the IGSSA girls' schools persistently and repeatedly divide their senior crews into fours so that the 1st eight race, supposed to be the blue riband event of any regatta, is a joke usually featuring two or sometimes three crews. Often there is no 2nd Eight race at all, such a letdown for the crews who want some competition.

Today was a different story. What a treat to see a full race - a boat in every lane of the Schoolgirl First Eight. It was a genuine championship event.

It defies belief that there is not some simple rule to stop the girls' schools cheating by avoiding eights racing all season, then miraculously finding a First Eight within their ranks in time for HOTR. Queenwood have been guilty of it on more than one occasion. If you have eight senior rowers then you should be required to enter them as an eight in a minimum number of regattas through the season. Can you imagine a GPS school putting their top 16 scullers into fours the whole season while secretly training as eights, and then voila! we'd like to enter them as a First Eight at Head of the River!

The only two schools who enter eights without fail are the two Loretos. Sometimes they are joined by Pymble.

Heads of Rowing at these repeat-offender IGSSA schools need to be called to justify this position to all the BROs, other volunteers, spectators and other schools who attend regattas all season long. Withholding crews in senior divisions is contrary to the spirit of competition, in both IGSSA and Rowing NSW. Many of us are sick to death of it and watching the opposite, a full field in filthy conditions today, just underlines the problem.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Well thank God for genuine female eights racing at ISRA today! It really sticks in my craw that coaches from the IGSSA girls' schools persistently and repeatedly divide their senior crews into fours so that the 1st eight race, supposed to be the blue riband event of any regatta, is a joke usually featuring two or sometimes three crews. Often there is no 2nd Eight race at all, such a letdown for the crews who want some competition.

Today was a different story. What a treat to see a full race - a boat in every lane of the Schoolgirl First Eight. It was a genuine championship event.

It defies belief that there is not some simple rule to stop the girls' schools cheating by avoiding eights racing all season, then miraculously finding a First Eight within their ranks in time for HOTR. Queenwood have been guilty of it on more than one occasion. If you have eight senior rowers then you should be required to enter them as an eight in a minimum number of regattas through the season. Can you imagine a GPS school putting their top 16 scullers into fours the whole season while secretly training as eights, and then voila! we'd like to enter them as a First Eight at Head of the River!

The only two schools who enter eights without fail are the two Loretos. Sometimes they are joined by Pymble.

Heads of Rowing at these repeat-offender IGSSA schools need to be called to justify this position to all the BROs, other volunteers, spectators and other schools who attend regattas all season long. Withholding crews in senior divisions is contrary to the spirit of competition, in both IGSSA and Rowing NSW. Many of us are sick to death of it and watching the opposite, a full field in filthy conditions today, just underlines the problem.
See those Catholics like to play nice! (Nice work weaving in that reference to GPS rowing to legitimise your IGSSA observations in the GPS forum!!)

Reactions: LBA
L

LBA

I noticed "little pig" was online and might have had a quick reply.

Women hang out in the ladies toilet and chat. I meet a jail warden in the toilet and she was lovely. They have a huge responsibility and all try their best to ensure fair and equal safe racing for all. I would not say she was old. Mature yes but not like some old hag. I asked her heaps of questions and she was friendly and respectful to men who BRO but I got the impression it was a boys club and she has worked hard to learn and be a part of the volunteer group.

One thing I do know - is regardless of any sport - it is a small group of people who are dedicated to it that keep the boat afloat.

So if the BRO's are on day release from warden duty to participate - be happy that they are there - if the schools had to pay them - the entry seat fee would go way up.

So after finding the ladies - and having a chat - I have a healthy respect for these people. There does not seem to be a long line of people studying the rules of boat racing to replace them. So good on this mature female for having a go.

L

LBA

This information might not give you comfort behindtheshed - but I have heard when I have been rigging and moving VII boats - some coaches hate doing it - the coaches think it is to much trouble. If it is not done correctly the boat can leak and the list of other things that can go wrong and the repair bills if it does - all to much trouble. You can put a four straight on a trailer and rig back to a quad. All easy peasy - getting girls to rig is harder then boys.

So if there is an element of truth in this boat shed talk - I have even more respect for the GPS boys - I saw them in the boat park all working together to pack the trailer.

The GPS Regatta's at Hen and Chicken everybody rows around don't they?

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
This information might not give you comfort behindtheshed - but I have heard when I have been rigging and moving VII boats - some coaches hate doing it - the coaches think it is to much trouble. If it is not done correctly the boat can leak and the list of other things that can go wrong and the repair bills if it does - all to much trouble. You can put a four straight on a trailer and rig back to a quad. All easy peasy - getting girls to rig is harder then boys.

So if there is an element of truth in this boat shed talk - I have even more respect for the GPS boys - I saw them in the boat park all working together to pack the trailer.

The GPS Regatta's at Hen and Chicken everybody rows around don't they?

Still, everyone has to pitch in and learn to do it right. That's part of rowing, rigging, unrigging, loading, strapping down, gearing, adjusting, pitching and learning how to join an eight so it doesn't leak. Perhaps it may have something more to do with parents not wanting to hang around after a long hot day at SIRC?

For the locals it's easy to draw up to starting line at H&C. Joeys and Kings will row around and I think Riverview often tow their boats around and beach near the park/jetty…. maybe not all. I think the Iggies seniors may row around 'cause they use it as a training run as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.