• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Tough game to lose. We're getting really good at finding ways to get close and lose games.

Think this team could go a long way but desperately needs to string some wins together to get their confidence back.

Unfortunately we have England, new Zealand, Argentina away, south Africa and nz again.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
The most annoying thing about the whole Bealegate/McKenzie quitting thing is that everyone can't wait to stick the boot into Cheika. Link got a massive honeymoon while getting smoked by NZ and SA

because he inherited a bigger shambles than cheika did, and had to start his international coaching career against the all blacks, who went undefeated the whole year and a very good springboks side. under link we won 7 in a row, smahed ireland, italy, and argentina. Im not saying that Cheika is a bad coach, but hes not doing as well as Mckenzie did, who even though his W/L wasnt great was still doing pretty well for only coaching us for under 2 Years. The saddest part for me is that i love cheika as a coach, but i dont like that hes coach cause it sort of feels like Beale and the SMH got what they wanted. And before people start complaining that im a Going on about a Waratahs conspiracy im not. I dont think the Tahs had it out for link, i dont think most of the waratahs players like, horne, or Kepu, or Palu or the Waratahs fans had anything against link, but Beale and the SMH certainly wanted Link gone.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Phipps general game was good/very good but his passing was bloody ordinary. Seems to me that set us up to pass quite a lot behind the man. The result is that the ball carrier going into contact has, at best, had to slow down but has often had to alter his shape and angle leading to issues at the breakdown.
Things looked sharper when QC (Quade Cooper) came on but not sure he could sustain that for 60 minutes without a significant error count. We already have enough errors so I'm not sure he should start.
Beale was running backwards across field on his first touch: true to type.
Has TGC not worked out that there's only so many inside backs who can't/won't tackle that you can hide on the wing? And when you do hide them, if they let the ball bounce well their just taking up space that might be occupied by real footballers.
To'omua was a cut above Lilo last week - he must eliminate the grubber at the line in traffic from his game but he did enough to say that we should consider him included and build around that.
TK - syndesmosis injury is my diagnosis and that would mean he won't play again on tour (Maybe TGC had an inkling he'd need another back).
Simmons?
Did you see they actually lifted Skelton in the lineout that Jackson ordered be replayed - because Sexton was going off.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) cannot play wing at this level any more: we need real pace.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Phipps general game was good/very good but his passing was bloody ordinary. Seems to me that set us up to pass quite a lot behind the man. The result is that the ball carrier going into contact has, at best, had to slow down but has often had to alter his shape and angle leading to issues at the breakdown.
Things looked sharper when QC (Quade Cooper) came on but not sure he could sustain that for 60 minutes without a significant error count. We already have enough errors so I'm not sure he should start.
Beale was running backwards across field on his first touch: true to type.
Has TGC not worked out that there's only so many inside backs who can't/won't tackle that you can hid on the wing?
To'omua was a cut above Lilo last week - he must eliminate the grubber at the line in traffic from his game but he did enough to say that we should consider him included and build around that.
TK - syndesmosis injury is my diagnosis and that would mean he won't play again on tour (Maybe TGC had an inkling he'd need another back).
Simmons?
Did you see they actually lifted Skelton in the lineout that Jackson ordered be replayed - because Sexton was going off.
ABC cannot play wing at this level any more: we need real pace.

Totally agree on phipps, Good around the park, quite poor passing, but i dont know about quade having an error count, he had very few errors at all from bledisloe 3 onwards last year ad he played close to every minute last year, Toomuas defence was fantastic tonight. I thought jones was completely missing but it was lucky that Hooper had a blinder at the breakdown and McCalman was good all round. I think there were certainly so positive signs but we still somehow seem to close the gap and blow it at the end.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Suggesting the squad has gone backwards is one thing (notice how I never addressed that in my post).

Using the W/L record of the two coaches as some basis for comparison to drive your argument that they haven't regressed is fundamentally flawed to a spectacular degree.

We need more games and Cheika needs more time before any assessment can be made over where the squad really is, especially as we test out and blood new players.

I simply had an issue with the metric you chose to back your argument, because it makes no sense at all.
I never compared their W/L ratios. I only quoted Link's, in rebuttal to the concept that his tenure were the glory days.
His record,and the fact that he resigned a little over a year into the job,demonstrates that they were not.

Today was no better or worse than under Link's reign,or even Robbie's.
We had good moments and bad moments.
The challenge in front of us,is is the same as it's been as long as I can remember.
Our best 15 is good,but we lack depth in too many key positions.
I hope Cheika has more luck than his 2 predecessors in this regard.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Totally agree on phipps, Good around the park, quite poor passing, but i dont know about quade having an error count, he had very few errors at all from bledisloe 3 onwards last year ad he played close to every minute last year, Toomuas defence was fantastic tonight. I thought jones was completely missing but it was lucky that Hooper had a blinder at the breakdown and McCalman was good all round. I think there were certainly so positive signs but we still somehow seem to close the gap and blow it at the end.

Hmm - QC (Quade Cooper).
The pass to KB (Kurtley Beale) - I just don't think he should have been even thinking of it that early in his time on the field: and the answer to that is "that's what he brings and if it comes off....."
There was a noticeable step up when he came on.
Mabye I'm living in his past.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) cannot play wing at this level any more: we need real pace.

Funny you say that about AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), on the Tommy Bowe intercept, he came from the opposite wing to push Bowe wider. Speight is supposed to be the speed man, but didn't get anywhere near him.

Don't believe that pace is the issue there.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Funny you say that about AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), on the Tommy Bowe intercept, he came from the opposite wing to push Bowe wider. Speight is supposed to be the speed man, but didn't get anywhere near him.

Don't believe that pace is the issue there.
What do you think it is?
He had space outside his man at least once and could do nothing with it. My instinct (and I see from the intra match comments its Hugh Jarse's too) was that this was an occasion where with real pace the player would have at least got over the gain line and we might have built something from there.
Didn't seem to me he was actually playing 13 at this time.
I'd need to see where he came from on the Bowe try to assess that.

T

TOCC

The most annoying thing about the whole Bealegate/McKenzie quitting thing is that everyone can't wait to stick the boot into Cheika. Link got a massive honeymoon while getting smoked by NZ and SA

When you have people on this forum calling him TGC(The Great Cheika), he is been set up for failure, Australians love nothing more then to chop down someone put on a pedestal.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Good test, Irish deserved win, but score was good indication, not a lot in it. Have only read a few of the last few pages in comments, but not sure I watched the same game as a few others. Although Hooper did a couple of good things, I think Hooper at times looked like he didn't know what to do at the breakdown, looks a little lost going into breakdown in defensive situations or when the breakdown was messy. As for any complaints about refs and bullshit decisions ,I think TMO's allowing Foley's try trumps everything, and thought both touchies and Jackson missed some bad offside play in first 10 minutes, look at replay if you don't believe , and I thought Wallabies profited quite well there! I don't think there needs to be any wrist slitting yet, Wallabies have got a few forward and possibly leadership probs, but nothing that can't be improved with a bit of work.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Good test, Irish deserved win, but score was good indication, not a lot in it. Have only read a few of the last few pages in comments, but not sure I watched the same game as a few others. Although Hooper did a couple of good things, I think Hooper at times looked like he didn't know what to do at the breakdown, looks a little lost going into breakdown in defensive situations or when the breakdown was messy. As for any complaints about refs and bullshit decisions ,I think TMO's allowing Foley's try trumps everything, and thought both touchies and Jackson missed some bad offside play in first 10 minutes, look at replay if you don't believe , and I thought Wallabies profited quite well there! I don't think there needs to be any wrist slitting yet, Wallabies have got a few forward and possibly leadership probs, but nothing that can't be improved with a bit of work.
Agree with most of that but how do leadership problems improve with hard work?

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Really thought we were going to create something in the last 15 to fall over the line.

Certainly is entertaining watch us play 15 man 7s!

Phipps is so immediate and has one speed - fast forward. There are rewards but consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.