• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
so the problem for City is staring them in the face - 1 group in favour of Kank & against Small & the other Group in favour of Small and against Kank - they''ll need to sort this Division out before the Pre Season or City will be an 'also ran' in 2015

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
Sometimes the more a club strives for credibility, be it by capturing the right coach or the right player group to compete stronger or the desired social standing, then the more they will polarize what currently exists within the group. It happens within all clubs. Some clubs just know how to handle it a lot better without it fracturing them into pieces because they are use to it.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Saw on the SIRU Website that AGM is this Sunday- interesting topic on Agenda is Invitaion for SIRU to play at the Country C'Ships next year- this is a no Brainer - SIRU should accept the invite and this would provide a better pathway for our best players

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Saw on the SIRU Website that AGM is this Sunday- interesting topic on Agenda is Invitaion for SIRU to play at the Country C'Ships next year- this is a no Brainer - SIRU should accept the invite and this would provide a better pathway for our best players

Definitely - I think there would be some Steamers interested in this!!!

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Was interested to read today that one of the Casella wine owners has just been pinned for drugs and firearms.

The article mentioned that Casella sponsor a lot of the local sporting clubs in Griffith – dare I ask if they sponsor the Griffith Rugby Club?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)

What are your thoughts on funding this? This trip would cost approx $10k.

Definitely - I think there would be some Steamers interested in this!!!

Are these the same guys who put their hands up for Brumbies Provincial?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
$10k for the trip. fixed. @ $2 profit per sausage sanga, $2 profit per beer, and $1 profit per soft drink, that is only 4000 beer and sanga combos, and 2000 cans of solo.

Don't know what your "crowds" are like but if you get 200 purchases per game, that is "only" 20 games worth of trading needed.

Rugby Economics as per the Club Fundraising BBQ currency. :)

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
$10k for the trip. fixed. @ $2 profit per sausage sanga, $2 profit per beer, and $1 profit per soft drink, that is only 4000 beer and sanga combos, and 2000 cans of solo.

Don't know what your "crowds" are like but if you get 200 purchases per game, that is "only" 20 games worth of trading needed.

Rugby Economics as per the Club Fundraising BBQ currency. :)

I love your logic HJ! The ARU cut the Brumbies funding this year which flowed on to the grassroots level with a serious hit to the SIRU budget. It's not cheap to put a footy team on the paddock, particularly for a "gala day" type event such as this and financing this is important so as not to impact on other areas of the competition (Senior and Junior alike).

berrablue

Frank Nicholson (4)
Saw on the SIRU Website that AGM is this Sunday- interesting topic on Agenda is Invitaion for SIRU to play at the Country C'Ships next year

Any idea if players would be eligible for the Cockatoos or would it just be an invitational similar to what happened this year with the Sth Aus side at the brumbies provincial champs?
I know there was chat of the Tassie Axemen coming up to Wagga next year for the provincial champs?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Any idea if players would be eligible for the Cockatoos or would it just be an invitational similar to what happened this year with the Sth Aus side at the brumbies provincial champs?
SIRU Players are not eligible for selection with the Cockatoos. The invitation states that there is a "standing invite" for SIRU to attend the tournament.

I know there was chat of the Tassie Axemen coming up to Wagga next year for the provincial champs?
That would be great if it came off!

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Anyone confirm these couple of little whispers I've heard recently...

James Whitely and Jack Bury to Waratahs.

Stirling Ross leaving and Hood to retire from the Reddies.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
heard that the AGM yesterday had its moments when the ARU's new Participation Levy was explained to the Clubs- already talk of several clubs not very happy with the Levy and some of them expressed concerns that they might struggle to get 2 Grades - any body got any $ figures to put out there as to what the Levy is

nipnipnip

Frank Nicholson (4)
The new levy being proposed will cost $168.50 minimum per player. No matter what grade. We struggle to get players at the best of times against league who can supply everything for nothing. Anyone of out of major hub will struggle to get teams this year either that or their bottom lines will really struggle trying to subsidize it!!

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
does anybody know if SIRU is going to the Country Championships in Bowral next year ?- it was supposed to get discussed at last Sunday's AGM.I reckon it would be a positive step for the Zone

jb23

Allen Oxlade (6)
Whistle happy, it was discussed all clubs bar 1 were in favour of it and they said it will be put to the board on Dec 1st for the final tick of approval.
While it may be a positive step for the zone, I'd be interested why?
More rep rugby, yes! But be aware NO siru players are eligible for country selection & if the comp is in coffs harbour (example) next year it would probably be a one hit wonder

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Exposure at Country Week is at a completely different level to the tri-series between Monaro, South Coast and SIRU. Not only do you get to play against a more consistently higher quality set of players, you also get to watch higher quality rugby during down times. It is a great networking and learning opportunity. Like I mentioned before, this has triggered a real pique of interest in some players that haven't been excited by the tri-series.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
If SIRU are to participate in the Country Week Tournament, the rep scene around these parts needs an urgent overhaul. No more just selecting guys who put their hands up or like wearing the free kit around. Id start with ;
1. Completely independent coaching staff and selectors.
2. Selected players play or their clubs lose competition points.(works well for the RFL & FFL)
My experience with Country Week tells me that even in division two we will get it handed to us if the current situation remains. I am confident that the best two or three clubs from each of the years since SIRU began would beat the rep sides we have put on the park.
No doubt.
Its a bit of a laughing stock to be honest.
So unless there are changes made to the rep scene, our little sojourn to Country Week will be a disaster.

Heard today again that Ross and Hood wont be playing at CSU next season? Hood finished and Ross looking for success / premiership?? Any chalk out there willing to confirm or deny?
@jb23 you'd look better in blue than green and gold;)

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
You are correct @independant on your general observation ,but, you are not going to get a completely independent management/coach system. The only time I have ever seen this was when Matt Kay who was the head of coaching & development for ACT Sthn NSW stepped in to coach the SIRU team that entered into the first 6 weeks of J I Dent Cup in about 2007 after the local coaches pulled out.

To get your best players you would need poss v's probs games and that stopped back in about 2000 which was back in the days of the SPC which SIRU had 2 teams that played Cent West & Illawarra in a round robin comp. This zone is unique because of the geographic size which is going to be the biggest single issue/ drawback to getting the best players available.

A number of years ago the zone did have a " no rep no play" system just ask Xavier Chiggwidden & tahs. I wish there was a system to make our rep program better but I honestly don't know of one as it's completely in the hands of the participants who make themselves available. Apathy from the players is the single biggest issue not what the zone can't/won't provide. My involvement in zone teams started in 1983.

Just as a comical first hand involvement note, we are not the only zone that has this trouble as I can distinctly remember a few "locals" running out for New England in a couple of games at a Country Week held in Wagga in 1996 and also know another time were a player was driving through a town where C/week was hosted. He pulled up to watch Western vs C.North as he knew a couple of Western players & he ended up playing the 3 games for them. The irony to both these stories is that he and the others weren't even playing in those zones and they represented them because those zones didn't have there best players available.

berrablue

Frank Nicholson (4)
Interesting couple of comments above.
Firstly the SIRU coach this year was Richard Turnbull, who was not associated with any club. I believe that makes him independent.
Secondly as far as I know the only two players that didn't put there hands up for rep duty this year that would of been starters were Dave Armstrong, who had only just started playing when the side was picked and Richard Manion. The notion that there are a number of other quality players in SIRU that don't want to play is just wishfull thinking.
The country regional rep sides are split into two tiers. Although it was quite a few years ago now I was lucky enough to play in two teams. One in each side of the comp. The top tier would be tough but the bottom tier, where SIRU would undoubtably play, would be no better competition than running around against the Monaro or Sth Aus. I have two points here. One, that SIRU would not be playing in a higher standard of competion at country week and two, if the players can't get picked in the Cockatoos why give up the chance to have a run around at Bruce before a Brumbies game.

Status
Not open for further replies.