• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I noticed "little pig" was online and might have had a quick reply.

Women hang out in the ladies toilet and chat. I meet a jail warden in the toilet and she was lovely.

Hmmm…. I'm sure she was but is there a pattern developing here LBA? Hanging around the toilet block at the 2000m start…. women hanging out in the toilets to meet female prison guards? What is going on here???? Please explain!

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hmmm…. I'm sure she was but is there a pattern developing here LBA? Hanging around the toilet block at the 2000m start…. women hanging out in the toilets to meet female prison guards? What is going on here???? Please explain!

I think I saw Lizzie and Doreen down there today but the Freak sent them back to their cells.

L

LBA

Still, everyone has to pitch in and learn to do it right. That's part of rowing, rigging, unrigging, loading, strapping down, gearing, adjusting, pitching and learning how to join an eight so it doesn't leak. Perhaps it may have something more to do with parents not wanting to hang around after a long hot day at SIRC?

For the locals it's easy to draw up to starting line at H&C. Joeys and Kings will row around and I think Riverview often tow their boats around and beach near the park/jetty…. maybe not all. I think the Iggies seniors may row around 'cause they use it as a training run as well.

Could not agree with you more - but like anything the devil is in the detail - everybody wants to rush to the podium to collect the hardware but there is a lot of bloody hard work behind the scenes.

To have a pretty garden you need to shovel to shit - I guess there is rowing and then there is rowing - it would be great to turn up and just step into the boat - prepared by an assistant - but life is not like that.

I did hear that ISRA Champs were cancelled due to the parents melting in the grandstand :):) or maybe there was a prison break and all the wardens were recalled.

So the best vantage point would be Rodd Point ? Not many toilet blocks there :) - I will see what I am doing - it will be interesting to see the boys race without lanes and the other obstacles that can present themselves. Do parents hire boats and float around??

Oh and do the Riverview boys swim behind the boats being towed or get on a bus and get dropped off. The logistics behind these events are impressive. Riverview and Iggies are the same school - I am a newbie at this GPS lingo.

At least I have made one friend - I will not stalk the lady I met but if I see her again I will say Hi - I did mention to her I got told to move on - she laughed and said I could go into the hut if she was in the hut and saw me. I would have to wear camo gear and of course be sent to the firing squad afterwards.

L

LBA

Oh and beware fellow forum contributors - I used the word "tetchy" in a sentence today when I was with my friends and their children and they still have not stopped laughing.

So be warned using words from the GPS Rowing forum does not work - "little pig" speaks his own language.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I noticed on Saturday a number of scratchings by GPS senior crews. Kings scratched its 1st VIII and 4th IV, while Scots stracthed its 2nd VIII. I believe in each case it was because only one or two boys were out. If your 1st XV had a couple boys sick, you would bring guys up to play - you would never scratch your team. I know there is not as much depth in the rowing as there is in rugby, and if one guy is sick in rowing in the 1st VIII, bringing someone up has a domino effect over the whole squad. However, should it not be the priority of a school to field a 1st VIII over the 2nd VIII?

Added to this, I am not sure if it is a good strategy to have 7 of the eight miss out on a race just because one boy is out.
Grammar and Joeys did exactly that and made replacements to their 1st VIIIs (and probably 2nd VIIIs as well) so that they could race.

L

LBA

Hi LBA, if you are wanting to watch the races at Hen & Chicken this weekend, maybe dont go to Rodd Point - that is in the Iron Cove.

Barry you will be pleased to I have bonded with google maps. You are so polite and respectful of my learning curve - much appreciated.

I have a tinny trip planned with a good mate - it is my intention to look at all the GPS boat sheds from the water. I think I will also ask for a quick run over all the courses.

L

LBA

Results of the big GPS sculling trials ???

No results posted - yes they get a patch - but it is not a patch on what they should receive.

Did Shore turn up?

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Tis a shame no rowers from any of the schools get on this forum and post. Can then get results not posted such as the sculling trials.

My guess is Joeys would win.

On the positive, the times this year are slower than last in the 1st VIII so a crew can come from nowhere after Xmas holidays and test them. While biased, Jennings is able to do this with last years VIII outrowed by Scotch at the NSW State Champs only to beat them reasonably comfortably at the Nationals. Riverview and Scots may also be able to do this. More the merrier at the front the better I say rather than one horse races.

MR

L

LBA

Cost to parents? What is the seat fee to compete in a GPS Regatta? Are all the boys registered as Metro Junior - or let me guess GPS have their own classification and they pay the minimal amount to Rowing NSW.

And no real back lash to Sally the flying Nun from Shore parents ??

I also agree if you have a boys who are sick - move boys up a crew it would be great for the whole rowing shed. Rather than scratching. Joeys and Grammar did a good thing. Depth can be an over used term - experience - all good experience. The whole shed working together to fill in the gaps and race - communication between coaches and boys - excellent thing I think !!

L

LBA

Good morning MR - I agree - one horse races are boring.

Healthy competition is a great thing - raising the bar and continuous improving is a great thing.

I have heard on the grape vine that no boy is allowed to post anything - and if found out there will be severe consequences.

There was a whisper that it did happen on Friday and the school concerned is having their IT guys track the post.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
NSW GPS Rugby schools re-imagined as Game of Thrones

BRETT GIBSON NOVEMBER 21, 2013 36 COMMENTS
Continuing the fine internet tradition of comparing groups of people and cliques etc to pop culture references, here are the NSW GPS school rugby teams as Game of Thrones Houses.

Just how right have we got them?

King’s School – House Baratheon

For obvious reasons. They are a big bunch. Probably not too sure who their fathers really are.

Newington – House Greyjoy

Basically a miserable bunch of p***ks

Riverview – House Tully

They’ve got some good real estate but thats about all they’ve got going for them.

St Joseph’s – House Stark

Going through a rough trot that the moment. They used to Rule the North – but are experiencing a looong winter.

Sydney Boys – House Mormont

Still in exile hanging with the Lower Houses. They are smart and have some strong elders but this generation really needs to lift its game and stop being led around by other Houses.

Scots – House Lannister

They hire the best, and always pay top dollar, the Crown still owes them a bunch of gold for defending Bellevue Hill. Basically every other House is rebelling against them. Their jerseys even have the Lion on them, scary similarity really.

The Armidale School – The Night’s watch

They protect us from the Walkers (Qlders) from the North. Many past transgressions are forgotten when the Houses of the South send their boys North.

Sydney Church of England Grammar School -House Targaerian

They are very pretty and have an amazing grasp of modern fashion. They have a firm grasp of the lands across the water from the other Houses. They are basically a bunch of pretty blondes with not much personality.

Sydney Grammar – House HODOR

I always did think this was funny and a good index for the GPS posted a few years ago....​

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Results of the big GPS sculling trials ???

No results posted - yes they get a patch - but it is not a patch on what they should receive.

Did Shore turn up?
I heard an ISIS (Lannister) rower came first... followed by Sullivan from Greyjoy, I think Rossi from Tully third. Not sure of make of remainder though there may be four or so House Stark boys in the mix.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Barry you will be pleased to I have bonded with google maps. You are so polite and respectful of my learning curve - much appreciated.

I have a tinny trip planned with a good mate - it is my intention to look at all the GPS boat sheds from the water. I think I will also ask for a quick run over all the courses.
Remember don't follow the races or the Freak will get you!

L

LBA

I must live under a rock - going into invest in the Game of Thrones boxed set. Early Christmas gift to myself. GPS Rowing is like GPS Rugby - I know nothing about balls or games with balls. I know what a Bow Ball is and that is about it.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Tis a shame no rowers from any of the schools get on this forum and post. Can then get results not posted such as the sculling trials.

My guess is Joeys would win.

On the positive, the times this year are slower than last in the 1st VIII so a crew can come from nowhere after Xmas holidays and test them. While biased, Jennings is able to do this with last years VIII outrowed by Scotch at the NSW State Champs only to beat them reasonably comfortably at the Nationals. Riverview and Scots may also be able to do this. More the merrier at the front the better I say rather than one horse races.

MR
Though Major R if Shore were out front already you'd may prefer a one horse race!;)

L

LBA

Your prediction of Grey Joy first and House Stark 2nd did not come true?

What about Shore - no show from Shore

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Good morning MR - I agree - one horse races are boring.

Healthy competition is a great thing - raising the bar and continuous improving is a great thing.

I have heard on the grape vine that no boy is allowed to post anything - and if found out there will be severe consequences.

There was a whisper that it did happen on Friday and the school concerned is having their IT guys track the post.
Was that Oarhead1? Poor guy. He'll have to hightail to Russia and bunk up with Eddie.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Cost to parents? What is the seat fee to compete in a GPS Regatta? Are all the boys registered as Metro Junior - or let me guess GPS have their own classification and they pay the minimal amount to Rowing NSW.

And no real back lash to Sally the flying Nun from Shore parents ??

I also agree if you have a boys who are sick - move boys up a crew it would be great for the whole rowing shed. Rather than scratching. Joeys and Grammar did a good thing. Depth can be an over used term - experience - all good experience. The whole shed working together to fill in the gaps and race - communication between coaches and boys - excellent thing I think !!
Up to a point.... In the fours a change can really have impact of the balance, weight, technique... I think it's reasonable to try and give as many crews who have trained together a chance to race together. With the VIIIs, one person's illness is another person's chance to step up and shine and that's the way it swings...

Reactions: LBA
Status
Not open for further replies.