• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I've been mulling over this post for a few days deciding if it deserved a response or not.

I watch more rugby than most on GAGR. For anyone to question my commitment to rugby is beyond the pale.

Sure, I don't wake in the early hours to watch the Wallabies live, but I record such matches to watch later.

It is a tragedy that certain people question the quality of the commitment of GAGR members.

Lets not be precious. Mr Doug has addressed this when a breast feeding mother took him to task.
My take on it is that he was being slightly tounge in cheek due to the excitement of an upcoming game.
Also, he's old enough that he probably doesn't realise that his VCR will record the game so that he can keep a copy and play it back over and over to his grandkids when they come and visit.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Isn't that the point? Didn't the Irish keep the ball away from him? Wasn't that part of the game plan -- to not get their best runner involved in the game? Or are you saying Ireland just didn't bother to attack?

Part 2: When a player is being iced out of the action, when do they go looking for work?

Ireland kept the ball away from Folau quite well but the fact that Folau didn't attempt a tackle is a sign that Ireland's attack failed to penetrate rather than anything to do with Folau.

I thought Folau was off his game covering the high balls. A year ago, he would have committed to taking so many more of the balls that were between two players or that both he and Foley (or someone else) could have reached.

He owned this area previously and currently he's not committing immediately so we're getting into a bit of a mess. Ireland did well to cause this confusion by placing the kicks well between players.

M

Moono75

I thought Folau was off his game covering the high balls. A year ago, he would have committed to taking so many more of the balls that were between two players or that both he and Foley (or someone else) could have reached.

He owned this area previously and currently he's not committing immediately so we're getting into a bit of a mess. Ireland did well to cause this confusion by placing the kicks well between players.

I think part of the reason for Folau being good under the high ball was his marking skills coming out of his time in AFL. We may be seeing a gradual degradation of this skill because he is not practicing it nearly as much as he would of previously in AFL.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Also, he's old enough that he probably doesn't realise that his VCR will record the game so that he can keep a copy and play it back over and over to his grandkids when they come and visit.
Any of you boys with an HD recording see this field goal attempt?

Still pics from Jay Cee Gee

tumblr_nfikvobfhe1sg3nzko4_1280.png

tumblr_nfikvobfhe1sg3nzko3_1280.png

tumblr_nfikvobfhe1sg3nzko2_1280.png

tumblr_nfikvobfhe1sg3nzko1_1280.png

That was no drop kick, it was a good old fashioned Melbourne drop punt!

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Any of you boys with an HD recording see this field goal attempt?

Still pics from Jay Cee Gee

tumblr_nfikvobfhe1sg3nzko4_1280.png

tumblr_nfikvobfhe1sg3nzko3_1280.png

tumblr_nfikvobfhe1sg3nzko2_1280.png

tumblr_nfikvobfhe1sg3nzko1_1280.png

That was no drop kick, it was a good old fashioned Melbourne drop punt!
Looking at the second to last pic the ball is at a different angle to the previous images which I'd say indicates the ball must of hit the ground and bounced.

M

Moono75

I think part of the reason for Folau being good under the high ball was his marking skills coming out of his time in AFL. We may be seeing a gradual degradation of this skill because he is not practicing it nearly as much as he would of previously in AFL.

That may be so but his NRL form is a long way removed. Folau would have benefited from his time in AFL in being able to judge a ball in flight, dealing with contact contesting the ball and when to leave the ground to take a mark. I'm sure they wouldn't be practicing taking high balls in Rugby nearly as much. It is a skill, maybe they should drill it a lot more.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I thought Folau was pretty solid under the high ball, had a couple of ripper takes. Still has the skill to not only take the ball, but to stay on his feet and look to offload after. He also makes an insane amount of ground in contact.

Basically I am still in love with him. And you should be too ;)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Looking at the second to last pic the ball is at a different angle to the previous images which I'd say indicates the ball must of hit the ground and bounced.

Exactly.

There's a lot of frames missing in that sequence..........

Amateurs at home with their domestic recording devices...........

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm really surprised Simmons didn't rate higher in people's 3-2-1, he ran the lineout very well and got a couple crucial steals.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
'Straight and narrow' - Beale should be told to only run in that direction.

Yeah, at least then the forwards would have a chance to recover the ball when it comes flying out of his arms the moment an opposition defender gives him a mean look.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm really surprised Simmons didn't rate higher in people's 3-2-1

Haha good one qwerty.

Rob Simmons could turn water into wine out on the field whilst making 20 tackles, running a flawless line out, scoring two tries and hit rucks like Paul O'Connell and people like Pfitzy would still complain they'd prefer their Sauv Blanc a bit dryer.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
In the interests of accuracy, take a look at Kiap's video clip (post #1147).
That ball went nowhere near the ground!
It certainly did not appear to. Need that super-slo-mo they use in cricket for catches. Rare skill to kick the ball 3 inches off the turf like that though. If he did.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Fair enough - like hugh jarse I thought the ruling was the direction of the ball (up/down) as a marker for the intention of the action. But I guess if the law in question is deliberate knock on then it has to be knocked on.
Law 12.1e Intentional Knock or Throw forward. A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with hand or arm nor throw forward.
Sanction: Penalty kick. a penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would otherwise have been scored.
A referee would look to see if the palm of the hand was up or down, up you are trying to catch it, down you are trying to slap the ball down. Hence you have intentional knocked on. i.e the Irish intercept he drops that it is a knock on, scrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.