• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

T

TOCC

Reports now suggest channel 10 is to broadcast 1 replayed game on a Sunday morning..

It's likely to do little for rugby unions exposure..

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Reports now suggest channel 10 is to broadcast 1 replayed game on a Sunday morning..

It's likely to do little for rugby unions exposure..
Not the worst time in the world for a replay though, doesn't have to rate through the roof to be considered a success, depending on what they pay for it. At the right time it'll suit hungover students who don't otherwise have foxtel, which is probably the demo ten wants. Will be interesting to see what game it is, I assume they'll prioritise Australian derbies, but games in SA featuring Australian teams might be a good option as well, catch more of the rugby fans who have fox but didn't stay up for it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
More exposure on FTA TV is a good thing, regardless of the fact that it's a replay.

I don't know what sort of ratings you need for FTA TV on the non main channels (i.e. One HD) but barring a couple of games a year, Super Rugby doesn't have the following to be broadcast at prime time on a Saturday night on FTA TV.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Believe that Fox onsell those rights so no cash there. Fox judge what they're worth on a commercial basis for resale then go from there.
The way its written here it sounded like the aru were getting something for it, but that might just be because fox paid more knowing they could get it back from ten.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-union/sup...-have-freetoair-presence-20141123-11sfsk.html

Australia's share of the UK rights and a small increase from Fox Sports and Ten will see the ARU receive a substantial boost from the current deal, worth about $25 million annually.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Fuck me. What now?

I thought the NSW Rugby paid the ABC to broadcast the Shute Shield, what's the loss? The ratings seemed decent, 50k or so per match.

T

Train Without a Station

Fuck me. What now?

I thought the NSW Rugby paid the ABC to broadcast the Shute Shield, what's the loss? The ratings seemed decent, 50k or so per match.

Possibly only subsidized, not fully paid for?

T

Train Without a Station

Perhaps they are fully funded by the AFL? If they aren't it's a joke.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
SANFL was 7 Radelaide as of this year. VFL purchased by 7Vuc for next. WAFL is as of yet unknown. I believe the VFL coverage was previously all but funded for the AFL.

What will help is the added incentive for double headers.

By 2016/17, all but 3 of the Victorian AFL Sides will have Reserve sides in the VFL, with 2 of those having reserves in all but name, allowing for Seven to say, have an 11/12pm game on the Saturday, leading into the afternoon AFL coverage, then news, then Night AFL Coverage, with the same thing potentially happening on the Sunday.

I've dropped my consumption of the AFL media quite significantly, but the saturation is such that I'd still watch one or two games in addition to my own teams.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe if the ABC are going to prioritise national events they might be willing to broadcast some matches from the NRC in future.

T

TOCC

Perhaps, but rather unlikely.

ABC are moving towards an era of cost cutting now, that means many of their camera crews will be sacked, and cheaper, pre-recorded content will present itself as a better option ahead of live sports.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
maybe in radio coverage, but I doubt there will be any money for tv.

But, looking at it all a different way, with change comes opportunity. What TV is looking for desperately is $$ which comes from advertising. Yes its sad that ABC are cutting some sports (including SS) but it does open up some sponsorship options, Add in that the the V8's are leaving for Foxtel and will only have a limited showing on FTA (FTA needs content to fill = more opportunity if you have advertising $$) and some V8 sponsors have walked (again opportunity for the game to grab some sponsor dollars and see if FTA will answer the knock at the door) the game may actually be able to use all these factor to go forward.

So we have a foot in the FTA door, and at least the NRC is a product is available to be sold.......its a start, not ideal or the pot of gold but opportunity none the less.

T

TOCC

Well the rumour is that the NRC will be sold inclusive with the next Super Rugby broadcast rights... Depending on which way you look at it, that is a positive and a negative.

Its a positive because it will guarantee the NRC existence for the next 6? years, but it could be a negative as it now has zero opportunity of featuring on FTA.....