• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Let's pull the boys from this test match then and go home if things are that bad. And given that we don't think there's any improvement in them before the RWC, why don't we pull out of that too?

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'm sorry but I've stepped off the Chieka bandwagon. After we lose next week that wagon will be a mere blip on the horizon.

The fact that Beale got a chance ahead of Godwin is an embarrassment on so many levels.

Shame we lost to Ireland and France.

However, just as I thought of close loses with McKenzie in charge, a loss doesn't necessarily mean a bad performance.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm sorry but I've stepped off the Chieka bandwagon. After we lose next week that wagon will be a mere blip on the horizon.

The fact that Beale got a chance ahead of Godwin is an embarrassment on so many levels.

Cheika is clearly struggling in the role. But who would you replace him with?

Even if they lost every game of the rugby championship in 2015 who would you replace him with?

That's the concerning thing. Cheika is rightfully an international coach based on provincial success.

Past him you'd need to blindly hope somebody who hasn't been as successful would suddenly be more successful at international level.

T

Train Without a Station

Shame we lost to Ireland and France.

However, just as I thought of close loses with McKenzie in charge, a loss doesn't necessarily mean a bad performance.

Close losses to the top teams are different to close losses to teams that Australian has an excellent record against though.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
Close losses to the top teams are different to close losses to teams that Australian has an excellent record against though.

That doesn't allow for improvements of international teams over time.

My opinion is that Irish rugby is at an all-time high in popularity and playing standards, not withstanding BOD's retirement, and France is pretty decent in France historically against the Wallabies.

D

daz

Cheika is clearly struggling in the role. But who would you replace him with?

Of course he is struggling! The man has been in charge for 3 seconds. He didn't pick the team. He has had little to no time to get his message across. He managed to get a spare pair of underwear into the suitcase just in time for the first EOYT game.

Are we really surprised that the team is in a state of flux and confusion right now?

Are there people on these boards really even asking the question about replacing him?

Holy shit. Some of you need to take a few deep breaths of reality.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
I don't think he is struggling.

He is dealing very well with what he has.

Maybe Australian rugby could have taken a few deep breaths of reality after Australia drew and lost by 1 point to the All Blacks following a big loss in Auckland.

T

Train Without a Station

That doesn't allow for improvements of international times over time.

My opinion is that Irish rugby is at an all-time high in popularity and playing standards, not withstanding BOD's retirement, and France is pretty decent in France historically against the Wallabies.

If everybody else improves and you stay the same, you're going backwards and suddenly before you realize, you've become shit.

D

daz

I didn't realise Cheika had been in the job long enough to have had a bandwagon fucking built yet.

One cylinder of breathable compressed reality is being shipped to you, stat.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Of course he is struggling! The man has been in charge for 3 seconds. He didn't pick the team. He has had little to no time to get his message across. He managed to get a spare pair of underwear into the suitcase just in time for the first EOYT game.

Are we really surprised that the team is in a state of flux and confusion right now?

Are there people on these boards really even asking the question about replacing him?

The only the thing that worries me is that instead of having the next 9 months to focus on the wallabies, Chieka is going to be focusing on the Tahs.

So I don't expect a lot of improvement next year either.

T

Train Without a Station

Is there an abundance of test quality players that Cheika would have selected instead? There was potentially one or two selections which had discussion around them but otherwise it's basically the best of what's left.

How much time should he expect. The biggest problem Cheika has had is his time in the role. If he took over next year at best he would have had 2 weeks prior to the first test, which is what he's had now, with a tour match in that time which was a good opportunity to see how some players performed.

EDIT: By his time I mean being appointed so close to the tour commencing.

If Michael Cheika needs a lot of time with the team in order to be successful, he never will, as you don't get that in international rugby.

I also don't buy into any notion that you have to go backwards to go forwards. Success may not be immediately forthcoming, but you don't need to go backwards.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
If everybody else improves and you stay the same, you're going backwards and suddenly before you realize, you've become shit.

"Everybody else"? No.

Australia loses therefore we have gone backwards? No.

I seriously like your pic of AB, absolutley great btw!! But may have to disagree on this one.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
I didn't realise Cheika had been in the job long enough to have had a bandwagon fucking built yet.

One cylinder of breathable compressed reality is being shipped to you, stat.
There was a massive Cheika bandwagon from NSW rugby.

Even Cheika's Mum would recognise this!

(And she's probably from Lebanon, and, yes, I have no idea who Cheika's Mum is!)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
"Everybody else"? No.

Australia loses therefore we have gone backwards? No.

I seriously like your pic of AB, absolutley great btw!! But may have to disagree on this one.

So your okay with losing to France and Ireland?

If we lose to England this tour this tour will be an undoubted failure. This is not acceptable for any team/coach/player no matter how long they have had with the team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the Ireland game was our best one on tour so far. Ireland are arguably at their best point ever and have had great recent form.

After getting blown out the water to be down 17-nil we came back incredibly well and were right in the match. With better execution we could have won it.

Our defence was substantially better than against France and Wales and our attack looked more fluid as well.

The doom and gloom response seems to look at just the Win/Loss column without going further.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
Need to separate what we, as fans, would love to happen and the real world.

Of course I or anybody involved with Australian rugby as a fan or coach or administrator or player is not happy to lose.

Are you suggesting we sack the coach if we lose to England? Or sack which players? And how do we sack players exactly?

T

Train Without a Station

Need to separate what we, as fans, would love to happen and the real world.

Of course I nor anybody involved with Australian rugby as a fan or coach or administrator or player is happy to lose.

Are you suggesting we sack the coach if we lose to England? Or sack which players? And how do we sack players exactly?

We look for a Plutonium powered Delorean, go back to early 2014, back Link and support him over the players!

And then in about 3-4 years transition into Cheika.

D

daz

There was a massive Cheika bandwagon from NSW rugby.

A nice reference to state bias, which means exactly zero and has nothing to do with this argument.

The Cheika timeline began on the day he signed to be Wallaby coach, not when he was made the saviour of Oz rugby by a group of NSW power-muppets. Which is a mirror of Link and QLD, so let's not go down that path.

Status
Not open for further replies.