• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Manly Marlins posted a profit in 2014 of $11,500 from a total revenue of $773,176. There's some good equity being created by the Marlins and I hope the lack of ARU funding doesnt hurt next year. Any other clubs posted their numbers yet?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Manly Marlins posted a profit in 2014 of $11,500 from a total revenue of $773,176. There's some good equity being created by the Marlins and I hope the lack of ARU funding doesnt hurt next year. Any other clubs posted their numbers yet?

And some optional expenses included in that as well, so pretty good.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
In the current parlous financial state of the ARU, I'm just glad to be reading about the Shute Shield Clubs making surpluses each year.
Coming from the land of subbies, I would have no idea if we made a profit or loss each year - just how much was in the bank account!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I see they pulled page 3 that details their expenses as line items from the Annual Report.
Commercial in confidence?

B

BellyTwoBlues

In the current parlous financial state of the ARU, I'm just glad to be reading about the Shute Shield Clubs making surpluses each year.
Coming from the land of subbies, I would have no idea if we made a profit or loss each year - just how much was in the bank account!

Call me suspicious but I think clubs in profit will only give Fort Fumble the ammunition to further justify the funding cuts!

Our financial year is calendar year, but we will be in a small profit again for the 2nd consecutive year. Not enough to go buy me my Harley, but profit nonetheless.

Our turnover is nowhere near that of Gordon's or Manly's. In fact, it's less than half of either. So we must be doing alright to keep the expenses down. Or perhaps we just have nothing!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Call me suspicious but I think clubs in profit will only give Fort Fumble the ammunition to further justify the funding cuts!

Our financial year is calendar year, but we will be in a small profit again for the 2nd consecutive year. Not enough to go buy me my Harley, but profit nonetheless.

Our turnover is nowhere near that of Gordon's or Manly's. In fact, it's less than half of either. So we must be doing alright to keep the expenses down. Or perhaps we just have nothing!
Foundations, and the right way, maybe more use of @jimmylanc matchbox car next year

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Back when I was in the public sector, the annual budget strategy rewarded incompetence, and penalised efficiency and good management.
If your division overspent, then they would get an increase of funds and headcount for the next budget cycle, regardless of how the money was actually spent. The efficient managers who could achieve their outcomes within budgets, had their budget slashed for the following year. Money had to be found for the overspenders, so the efficient were punished to be able to provide for the incompetent.

Most "good" (and I use that term advisedly in a Sir Humphrey Appelby context) managers ensured that they managed to overspend each year even if the basis of that overspend was rather "cynical" in nature.

We now turn our attention to SS clubs. There is a danger that those who manage to exercise financial restraint and live within their means are liable to be penalised by the inefficient and incompetent being rewarded with bail out grants because they are too important to allow to fail.

IMHO, the way things seem to work Belly should have got the Harley, charged it to "Ground Hire" and sat back and waited for the inevitable bail out.

There does not seem to be enough recognition for a job well done for living within constraints and doing the right thing.

B

BellyTwoBlues

Foundations, and the right way, maybe more use of @jimmylanc matchbox car next year

Jimmy Lanc's matchbox car has a problem with the brakes at the moment. Don't think that'll be getting out of the garage anytime soon

senior

Peter Burge (5)
That is a great result for the Gordon Club and reflects the incredible effort by the current Board, Friends of Gordon (FOGs) and supporters in fixing the terrible mistakes that had been made. Bring on 2015! Up the Highlanders!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That but, even better walking through the gate with the family is even better.

I'd like to watch more than 1 a week! I try to a game almost every week.

Which brings up a good point about streaming, the downside if you have to watch it live. Would hope they record games too.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'd like to watch more than 1 a week! I try to a game almost every week.

Which brings up a good point about streaming, the downside if you have to watch it live. Would hope they record games too.

Yes all interesting BarTV did the recent central coast sevens and it was a really good coverage.

I understand geography plays a part, i enjoy the Saturday arvo of rugby with the kids in tow and and I contribute to the gate of most clubs.

The NRC is an interesting one;
how were the fox ratings.
what were the crowds like.
when were the games played.
With regards to the Rays, i think their gate would have been substantially better if there were more afternoon games - proof is in the pudding with regards to the gate that some of the clubs get.

Status
Not open for further replies.