• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Regardless of the circumstances, and worst EOYT in modern history could not be considered an excellent job.

Some may consider it adequate considering objectives trying to be achieved. But with relatively conservative selections and use of the reserves, it's hardly been that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Needless to say, the success of the tour depends on this last game. If we lose, it's our equal worst end of year tour since 2005. Win and it's bang on average and could be considered a good result considering all the turmoil experienced immediately prior to the tour.

Another good defensive effort is needed to show that we're learning the new system and our forwards need to aim up.

England are in a bad position as well currently and will be desperate for the win. It's an important game for both sides not just because it's the last time we'll play each other before we meeting in the RWC.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Beating Wales and England in their backyard's a year before the WC would be considered a huge success given the limited prep.

I think we'll get smashed however which is no reflection on Cheika's ability. The whole tour was a write-off, I'm pretty happy with 1 win.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, before this tour, I think winning three of the five games (including two of the four tests) would have been considered a successful tour.

That's still on the cards. If we lose however, I don't think it's fair to call it a disaster.

Realstically I don't think it really changes much heading into next year. We've got a lot of work to do to be competitive at the RWC.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, before this tour, I think winning three of the five games (including two of the four tests) would have been considered a successful tour.

That's still on the cards. If we lose however, I don't think it's fair to call it a disaster.

Realstically I don't think it really changes much heading into next year. We've got a lot of work to do to be competitive at the RWC.
Where losing this weekend will really start to hurt is if we don't get up over SA, Arg away and 2xNZ, all of a sudden we're in the middle of a 5/6/7 match losing streak.

Gives the media a lot of fuel for a very distracting fire heading into the wc

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Where losing this weekend will really start to hurt is if we don't get up over SA, Arg away and 2xNZ, all of a sudden we're in the middle of a 5/6/7 match losing streak.

I agree. The biggest thing a win would do here is allow us to start fresh after Super Rugby without the feeling of a losing streak weighing heavily on people's minds.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Not surprised to see members of the media calling it a disaster as that is what they do, but a bit surprised to see some people here call it so.
a new coach and new systems not to mention the turmoil before hand and the fact that, one game aside (last bled), the wallabies weren't that flash under mckenzie either (argentina & south africa anyone).
i put very little stock in the french series as it is a totally different team now.
obviously want to beat england, and in doing that, i think the tour is fine. largely played well against ireland though a terrible 15 minutes which is largely attributable Luke Jones going into contact too high twice and throwing a horrible pass near aus' 22 and nick phipps brain farts.
for me, jones was terrible in the first 15 but after that looked solid and should be retained somewhere to get him experienced as i think he could be a world cup asset given his hardness and versatility.
i thought the lineout did a fairly good job. a few excellent steals. really rattles me that horwill seems to be struggling to return to form. he's a great big body and he has an excellent opportunity to seize his spot. simmons was good in my opinion and again, after jones' initial mistakes he looked very strong on the scrum. i would persist with him at 6 though bring hodsgon on at 55 -60 mark to close it out.
backline is where the most changes are needed. cooper either needs to start or come on earlier.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a great player but he's not a world class winger and i think more is gained from tomane on the wing than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). i would have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the bench to cover fullback, 13 and wings. unless TK is injured, in which case AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13.
wings of speight and tomane either way. i thought To'omua played great, but neither he nor foley are great kickers of the ball in play. i would have cooper at 10.
my bench would be genia (i think he's looked better than others give him credit for), Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Horne (if TK is out). To'omua and Beale can play 10 if anything happens to cooper.
Beale needs to come from a straighter line when in support and then change either just before or just after getting the ball. i think that forward pass from To'omua was very avoidable and you can see in the replays that To'omua initially goes to pass where Beale should be coming from, has a look and has to readjust resulting in the forward pass.
I'd like to see higginbotham on the bench for the forwards as well and tell him to play tight and take it into contact hard when he gets on.

again, a win against england and, given the tight loss to ireland and the improvement in play, i think this is not a bad tour. ireland are a solid team and beat the boks as well.
will be interesting to see the progress next RC with hopefully pocock, moore, palu and fardy back in the squad.

need to test some new props and locks asap though.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)

Upside is that the Wallabies might be able to develop a "siege mentality".
This happens a lot in rugby league around SOO time but seems lacking in rugby.
There's our 2015 RWC strategy - a siege mentality.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
this is where the talking stops.
gentlemen, it's time for action.

let's roll the Richard Graham for Wallabies coach bandwagon.
who will be first to put a shoulder to the wheel?
who will be the first to jump on?

i expect massive support from Queenslanders for their favourite son coach.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Even if we lost all EOYT games and only beat the Pom's I'd still count it as a net-gain tour. A crowing Kiwi comes a close second to a soap-dodger singing "swing low", so the less emails I get about it the better.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Let me add to my early comments by saying, I'm not saying Cheika shouldn't be coach or that his job is at stake if we lose on Saturday. He will take us to the world cup regardless of the results. But truthfully whatever hype was behind Cheika when he took over will have been smashed into a million pieces by Sunday morning.

I'm really hoping Cheika can turn it around next year, but I have very little faith at this stage. We've now lost 2 games on tour we should have won and I'm struggling to see what improvements have been made to the team that arguably outplayed the All Blacks back in October.

To add insult to injury, Cheika brings his best mate Beale into 23. Why? No one has a fucking clue. But Cheika seems to be using the "I'll do what I want" defence.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Let me add to my early comments by saying, I'm not saying Cheika shouldn't be coach or that his job is at stake if we lose on Saturday. He will take us to the world cup regardless of the results. But truthfully whatever hype was behind Cheika when he took over will have been smashed into a million pieces by Sunday morning.

I'm really hoping Cheika can turn it around next year, but I have very little faith at this stage. We've now lost 2 games on tour we should have won and I'm struggling to see what improvements have been made to the team that arguably outplayed the All Blacks back in October.

To add insult to injury, Cheika brings his best mate Beale into 23. Why? No one has a fucking clue. But Cheika seems to be using the "I'll do what I want" defence.

Why don't you just say;
"I don't like Cheika, anything he does or says, or any decision he makes"
It would save a lot of space on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.