• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LBA

I cannot get that song out of my head now - Tell me where the freaks at - Timmy Trumpet - one freak will be at Hen and Chicken next Saturday.

One thing I did notice about the starter on Saturday was that she was female and she continually said - No yellow card - reprimand only - then one race - a crew was late and she did give them a yellow card. No consistency - so I will name her the freak.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Oh and beware fellow forum contributors - I used the word "tetchy" in a sentence today when I was with my friends and their children and they still have not stopped laughing.

So be warned using words from the GPS Rowing forum does not work - "little pig" speaks his own language.
Sure you used it in the right context? Such as, "Honey, I feel a little tetchy tonight maybe we should retire early?"

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I cannot get that song out of my head now - Tell me where the freaks at - Timmy Trumpet - one freak will be at Hen and Chicken next Saturday.

One thing I did notice about the starter on Saturday was that she was female and she continually said - No yellow card - reprimand only - then one race - a crew was late and she did give them a yellow card. No consistency - so I will name her the freak.
Aah, you were paying attention... It was because they were sooooo late getting there, a reprimand would have been a bit weak.

L

LBA

Yes they were sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo late but she said all morning - I am not handing out Yellow cards today. Then she did. Consistency - rules are rules - I bet none of those boys would know what a yellow card is - they night think it is some sort of prize.

If you are going to be late for a good reason - get a runner to tell somebody and get it radioed through - everybody was carrying radios - I noticed that as well.

L

LBA

Sure you used it in the right context? Such as, "Honey, I feel a little tetchy tonight maybe we should retire early?"

Quote - nah "Tetchy is more crabby. So I am really confused - I did use the tetchy in the right context - as per your meaning.

Honey, I feel tetchy tonight maybe we should retire early - is not the same interpretation of tetchy as crabby in my world.

But hey I live under a rock - everybody around me has not stopped laughing since I said out aloud I do know about Game of Thrones.

In my world if you retire early to bed it is not because you feel crabby, especially if you say we retire early.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)

tetchy means irritable, short-tempered and is related to the word "testy". tetchiness is behaviour rather than mood.

Touchy means sensitive, so relates to feelings rather than actions.

for example:

He's a bit touchy about his baldness;

or

That school report is still a touchy subject.

In other words, a sensitive or embarrassing topic might have someone feeling touchy.

Whereas:

I couldn't wait to leave, she was so tetchy the whole afternoon.

or

It's difficult to help someone who is so tetchy.

Neither would be appropriate to ANY bedtime ritual that I'm familiar with, but maybe that's because bedtime and lights out is the same time every night at Wentworth, and the Freak stalks the corridors.

Reactions: LBA
L

LBA

tetchy means irritable, short-tempered and is related to the word "testy". tetchiness is behaviour rather than mood.

Touchy means sensitive, so relates to feelings rather than actions.

for example:

He's a bit touchy about his baldness;

or

That school report is still a touchy subject.

In other words, a sensitive or embarrassing topic might have someone feeling touchy.

Whereas:

I couldn't wait to leave, she was so tetchy the whole afternoon.

or

It's difficult to help someone who is so tetchy.

Neither would be appropriate to ANY bedtime ritual that I'm familiar with, but maybe that's because bedtime and lights out is the same time every night at Wentworth, and the Freak stalks the corridors.

L

LBA

:):):):):):):)

Thank you Sally and "Little Pig" for the English Lesson - I really thought it was just a made up word that young people use.

Since joining this forum I have bonded with google maps and now have to buy a dictionary. :):):):)

Back to hide under my rock !!!

L

LBA

I know that I have been ebullient on this forum but I promise I will sit with my dictionary when I log on so as not to take away from the topic GPS Rowing.

Sincere apologises "Little Pig" and "Sally":oops:

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
I know the yr 10 only row once whilst the senior crews row twice but the this is a fast group of yr 10s
1st yr 10 VIII won by Shore with another fast time 6.14.77. Fast enough for 1st in the 2nd VIII and 4th in the 1st VIII and only 4 secs slower than the Shore 1st VIII
The first 3 place getters in the 1st yr 10 VIII (shore, kings and riverview) had faster times than their respective 2nd VIIIs
I haven't seen them but I was told by a slightly unreliable source that the sector times for the last 500 in the yr 10 Jnr VIII were amonst the fastest of the day with kings doing a1.32.23 which was faster than anyone except SJC & SIC 1st VIII

Wind may have been a factor. Early races had a WSW, while the Yr10 VIIIs had a brisk ESE behind them and the last races for the SnrVIIIs had a less pleasant NNE

L

LBA

Shore draw up - all races 1500m and there was information at the bottom - for the first time.

L

LBA

Wind may have been a factor. Early races had a WSW, while the Yr10 VIIIs had a brisk ESE behind them and the last races for the SnrVIIIs had a less pleasant NNE

Don't forget the timing system at SIRC is all manual - the hosting school get parents to sit in the huts and tower and press the buttons.

I thought it would be much more technical than it is - but you get somebody who jumps on the button or has a different line of site and bang a slightly more faster or slower time is recorded. Or only two people in the hut not three so one person has to hit six lanes not three and the timing would not be spot on. Yes wind of course is a factor - but the timing system must be taken into consideration or the operators of the timing system. For example no split times were taken at Sunday's Regatta - they did not get enough volunteers to
sit in the huts.

Times this weekend will all be up to the "Jail Wardens" stop watch. They press start when go is called and hopefully stop at the end - call it through on the radio.

John jones

Frank Row (1)

Crews not attached to the fingers within 2 minutes received a reprimand,they should have received a yellow card as per the rules.The Scots crew who received a yellow card was so late the other crews had already attached themselves to the fingers whilst scots moved onto the course. Not to sure where you are going by describing the starter as a freak

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Crews not attached to the fingers within 2 minutes received a reprimand,they should have received a yellow card as per the rules.The Scots crew who received a yellow card was so late the other crews had already attached themselves to the fingers whilst scots moved onto the course. Not to sure where you are going by describing the starter as a freak
Re: Freak. Think you needed to read earlier comments rather than just jump in. You'd realize it was a humorous and flippant manifestation of jokes and references to Classic Australian TV. LBA made a previous comment about the inconsistency of the starter (which was noted by the starter) but I think we agree the starter was justified in changing her attitude to ISIS.

John jones

Frank Row (1)
Re: Freak. Think you needed to read earlier comments rather than just jump in. You'd realize it was a humorous and flippant manifestation of jokes and references to Classic Australian TV. LBA made a previous comment about the inconsistency of the starter (which was noted by the starter) but I think we agree the starter was justified in changing her attitude to ISIS.
Yes I do remember the Freak and understand the reference, have read the previous comments and have found them to be quite humorous comparing the bros to prison guards

L

LBA

Thank you "Little Pig"

I respect the Boat Racing Officials very much John Jones - they volunteer their time - and it would cost them in fuel to travel out etc... If you had read previous comments you would notice I had made a comment - that if the hosts of any Regatta had to pay them the cost of the seat fees would go up - that could be said for boat drivers , time keepers. There is an army of unpaid workers behind the scenes who obviously love rowing who generously and consistently turn up to help out at these Regatta's.

I also agree the rules are the rules and should be adhered to NOT and interpretation of them. So all coxes should be weighed in 1hr before a race and the weight is 50kg. Yellow cards should be handed out for racing starts in the transit lane, not attached at two minutes etc...

If any of these crews attended Nationals they will be in for a rude shock.

I also witnessed a Boat Racing Official being abused on Saturday - while she was trying to do her best - but did anybody bring that up !!!

People can be very quick to jump to conclusions - do you research obtain all the facts and then make an informed decision. Don't take things out of context.

Thank you again "Little Pig" I found your response to John Jones to be very chivalrous - and I did not even have to look that up in my dictionary.

:):):)

L

LBA

Could somebody please remind me - is there a trophy for the highest point score?

Barry if it is not to much trouble I would like to see a cumulative point score as well - I think it is very interesting.

It is like looking at the Premiership Point Score on the Rowing NSW website. I know a trophy is awarded the club with the highest point score.

If there is not a trophy - that might be something to think about for the future. Every boy who won a race regardless of the crew being the 1st - 2nd or 3rd would feel like he is contributing towards winning the point score trophy.

There is a lot of emphasis placed on the top two crews 1st VIII - 2nd VIII - 1st IV and so on.

But all the boys are training and trying their very best. Just a thought !!

I still believe there is room for improvement in the AAGPS world !

L

LBA

Thank you Barry - you are always so helpful.

Is there a reason why Newington and Sydney Grammar are not included?
The website has not been updated?

L

LBA

I am so confused now - Newington and Sydney Grammar are both listed as being members of the AAGPS - on the website.

So does that mean that Newington and Sydney Grammar will not row at the AAGPS HOR?? They did last year I just looked at the results.

We are going around and around in circles. How would the boys feel if they looked at the website?

Barry again thank you for your response.

AAGPS Members out there - take some of the seat racing money and put it together with the other sports and revamp the website.

What ever the sport the boys all work bloody hard and I am sure would enjoy checking out a great website.

Status
Not open for further replies.