• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
'Superiority' doesn't come into it..in a national squad of 32 players, I'd say that probably 28 or so would be common names no matter who the coach is..who fills the other approx 4 seats on the plane is more a matter of perception than anything..

Looking at the squad he inherited, it seems pretty clear that English & Godwin would have stayed at home if he had picked it himself..however, I am also sure he would have given them the benefit of the doubt and had a good look at them at training with a view to giving them a berth and for whatever reason they haven't got a run..McMahon probably wouldn't have been picked to tour either..aside from those (potentially) I think the make up of the squad would have been the same as Link's..

I suspect that Beale got called up because he viewed him as a better option as either of the first two aforementioned players..alone, given he has played in 50 or so tests and those two are uncapped I can kind of understand that..also remember that when the squad was picked Beale was unavailable for selection, and then he became available..I personally would have left him at home but Cheika's job is to pick the best team..Link also picked him when he was available..Cheika's objective is to win the RWC next year, not hand out Wallaby jerseys..

On Shatz, he was an injury replacement..many (even non-Tahs) would argue that due the developing 6/8 'crisis' Stephen Hoiles would have been worthy of a recall, especially considering that he had a blinder of a Soup season and Shatz had a shit one..but Cheika picked Shatz..

Thank you KOB for your thoughts. Like you, I really don't think there would have been a lot of change in the touring party if Cheika had have picked his own squad. There just isn't the reserve of test quality players available atm. However, I do subscribe to the view that he should have given some of the squad more time to show what they can do. In particular, I think Speight and Jones should have been on the bench for France, Cooper should have started at 10 for Ireland after he should have played 15 - 20 minutes at 10 against France, McMahon ought to be given another chance on the bench against England, and out of left field I would like to see Godwin get some time at 13 against England if Tevita is out injured. These are the team and individual development actions I would have liked to see from this EOYT. Perhaps even more so, I think not including one of Weeks or PAE originally and then again when players were added mid-tour was a huge lost opportunity. Those are my thoughts and overall I don't think there is any legitimacy to claims that Cheika might be hamstrung in some way by not having selected his touring squad.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If TK is injured I think there is a high chance that Godwin will get a bench spot this weekend..

Re Jones, I think McMahon was rewarded for his exceptional game v the BaaBaas and then, even though he didn't have a great game himself, for being a starter in the the game v Wales.

I am certain there was an underlying issue with Speight, Cheika would have overlooked his less than inspiring debut v the BaaBaas otherwise..

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Jones improved after those first few errors but he still doesn't appear to be up to speed in a game like that. Yes he needs to get stronger and to learn how to read the play so he can be in the right place at the right time more often than not.
He reminds me off Palu in an extremely high paced game. Bull at a gate stuff.
And Cheiks game is based on pace so he will need to adjust if he is going to be a fixture

edit - McCalman seems to have done so and is everywhere he needs to be. I didn't think he had it in him so hats off to him.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Because it hasn't been used effectively as a development tour?

You say that as if the current Wallaby squad is littered with hardened vets. Other than say AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), I can't think of any one else in the regular XVs that doesn't need the game time at test level.

Also on the Beale inclusion, one thing that may have been a factor is, given the timing of his return, were there many other options that would've been training as 'stand-by' options given the domestic comp had finished up for a while. Who was ready should they be required?

Plus there may also be the money and return on investment factor. Beale is currently on big money regardless of whether he plays a test or not. He might as well be working for it in the squad (this possibility may not sit well with some given the "honour" of playing for representing country, but economics is a big factor these days at the top level).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kuridrani is gone. Out for 5 weeks (not that it matters). Logic suggests AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13 and Tomane to wing.

--

We've conceded the first try in all 3 Tests (Barbarians too) and within 10 minutes - critical we get off to a good start in this one.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Jones improved after those first few errors but he still doesn't appear to be up to speed in a game like that. Yes he needs to get stronger and to learn how to read the play so he can be in the right place at the right time more often than not.
He reminds me off Palu in an extremely high paced game. Bull at a gate stuff.
And Cheiks game is based on pace so he will need to adjust if he is going to be a fixture

edit - McCalman seems to have done so and is everywhere he needs to be. I didn't think he had it in him so hats off to him.

Seriously? Palu worked absolutely fine in Chiekball at the Waratahs.

There seems to be a mystery about what Chieka's "style" is. It's just rugby basics: drive hard then go wide at pace. The only difference between the current norm is faster realignmemt and less kicking.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Palu was OK but he drops off when the pace picks up in test rugby. Maybe he can improve as McCalman has? I see he has been training with Jeff Fenech. Hopefully that will hone is reflex skills.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13 and Tomane to wing means that the soap dodgers will kick to the wings all day.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
I don't think England have more than a handful to get back, all they really can do is improve combinations

Our injury list is at least as long as yours;

Corbisiero
M Vunipola
B Vuniopla
Parling
Launchberry
Croft
Tuilagi
Cole
T Youngs
L Burrell (only just back last weekend so unlikely to feature against you)
Roko

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
As for an England team, this is a combination of what I realistically expect and wouldn't be too unhappy about. It's not 100% what I would pick but its not a bad team on the face of it.

1. Marler
2. Hartley
3. Wilson
4. Attwood
5. Lawes
6. Haskell
7. Robshaw
8. Morgan

9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. May
12. Twelvetrees
13. Barritt
14. Yarde
15. Brown

16. Webber
17. Mullan
18. Brookes
19. Kruis
20. Wood
21. Care
22. Farrell (he won't be gone completely unfortunatly )
23. Watson

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
As for an England team, this is a combination of what I realistically expect and wouldn't be too unhappy about. It's not 100% what I would pick but its not a bad team on the face of it.

1. Marler
2. Hartley
3. Wilson
4. Attwood
5. Lawes
6. Haskell
7. Robshaw
8. Morgan

9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. May
12. Twelvetrees
13. Barritt
14. Yarde
15. Brown

16. Webber
17. Mullan
18. Brookes
19. Kruis
20. Wood
21. Care
22. Farrell (he won't be gone completely unfortunatly )
23. Watson
This

But you know what's really gonna happen. he's gonna pick Farrell first and then fill in the rest of the team around him. Hopefully he starts by at least picking him at 10

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Palu was OK but he drops off when the pace picks up in test rugby. Maybe he can improve as McCalman has? I see he has been training with Jeff Fenech. Hopefully that will hone is reflex skills.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13 and Tomane to wing means that the soap dodgers will kick to the wings all day.
I'd say:
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Beale/Folau
12. To'omua
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Speight
15. Folau/Beale

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
This

But you know what's really gonna happen. he's gonna pick Farrell first and then fill in the rest of the team around him. Hopefully he starts by at least picking him at 10

Farrell at 10 is preferable to him at 12, but from what he has said I think Ford will get a chance vs Aus. Lets just hope it is with actual centres outside him.

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 20.15.40.png

High praise indeed!

Tex

John Thornett (49)
To'omua has owned 12 in almost all of his starts. He tackles far above his weight - almost like Johnny Wilkinson, perfect timing in his kicks out of hand and is a reasonable ball player.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Looking forward to Matty To'omua lining up against Twelvetrees again. Absolutely creamed him last time they met, so much so I think Twelvetrees lost his England No 12 spot for quite a while.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) plays 13 this week I think it may be his last test run-on. The are just too many guys (when fit), position specific, that will keep him on the pine.

If that happens he would be an incredible reserve covering the back 4.

I reckon he will have a blinder !

Status
Not open for further replies.