• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The closure of the "Politics" forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Well if you guys can't see a problem and won't look for a solution we are at an impasse.

An impasse.
Definition - When a Wallaby back line loses all structure around the 70min mark of a test, start running across field, don't know who to shuffle the ball to and just pass it to anyone i.e. "He'll do, I'll pass it to him"

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't think there is any hypocrisy, politics is a different kettle of fish completely from anything else we discuss on here. It isn't cycling, it isn't rugby, it isn't 'anything else' (ie TV reviews and menial letter-based geography games). The stakes are higher, and people take it very seriously.

Rugby is a fluid thing, and as such the forum rolls on with a new game each week to talk about. Opinions change frequently- player X plays well when everyone thought he was shit, player Y the opposite. As much as some subjects repeat (Quade can't tackle, Phipps can't pass etc) it changes every week, simply because we play a team in a different coloured shirt to last week.

But the politics thread has been pretty samey since day one. Same issues, same people, same views. Nothing changes, people get angrier, it becomes personal and the mods have to clean it up. Rinse and repeat.

I think we generally want the forum to be a light-hearted, upbeat sort of a place. People take their rugby seriously, but at the end of the day it is only a game. Not sure the politics thread fit with that general ethos.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
It seems that some of the moderators are trying to justify the decision by making excuses.

Cycling isn't rugby, cricket isn't rugby, etc. GAGR isn't just a rugby forum.

As for saying "You'll be fine" - the fact is that able-bodied people lecturing me is not fine.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's Gagger's manor, not anyone else's. He gets to set the rules. I'm ambivalent about whether the politics forum is here or not, but if the decision is that it's on hiatus then that needs to be respected. There are other places on the WWW in Australia to discuss such matters.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Good point.

It's was becoming a fairly predictable pattern:

Boyo posts an article
Runner says "no"
Boyo says "yes"
Runner says "no"
Boyo says "yes"
Runner says "no"
Boyo says "yes"
Boyo posts an article...
Boyo posts an article...
Boyo posts an article...
Boyo posts an article...
Runner says "no"
Boyo says "yes"
Runner says "no"
Boyo says "yes"
Runner says "no"

Etc

:cool:

Not always.

The ironing is delicious.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
So ..the thread is kept alive by an ongoing discussion of why it is being shut down ... This could be a Seinfeld episode .... Moderators reply *&^^(@$c TEST PATTERN ...remember the test pattern ?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
(@$c TEST PATTERN .remember the test pattern ?

A Mitchell & Webb classic.....

Tqb.jpg

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good decision I say. In many of the threads the discussions had descended into posters trying to get their "gotcha" moment against another poster. Yes I know that sadly is what politics has stooped to, but just because it's happening in society doesn't mean the Mods/Forum owners have to like it here.

There are some decent forums out there for those that want to debate issues. And for those wanting to throw hand grenades there are the Fairfax and News Ltd comments pages after they post online articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.