• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

I've become a tight arse

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I never use to be like this. I use to piss money away like there was no tomorrow, but kids and mortgages change your perspective.

Tonight the family and I went out for Fish and Chips. It cost around $40, however I baulked at paying $2 for a pot of sauce. So after ordering I walked home (100m) and got my own bottle of sauce and walked back. Sad really, but I feel better.

Anyone else got any tight arse stories (please keep it about being frugal with money) that will make me feel like I'm not alone?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is not so much a Thai Tarse story, but a Hugh Jarse story.

When I park at a car park where you pay a set sum for a period of time (sometimes for all day parking) and you display that ticket on your dashboard, if I leave early with time left on my voucher and I see someone else coming in to the car park as I am leaving, I will go over to them and give them my ticket.

Never had the offer of free parking turned down.

Sharing the long pockets syndrome.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mate of mine from Northbridge regularly travels to the Airport for interstate business trips.

He is happy to pay for the tolls going south using the Harbour tunnel and Eastern Distributer toll roads, where he only has to pay for the Harbour tunnel ($4 about).

Returning home going Northbound he would "normally" only have to pay for the ED toll. This is $6 something. Instead of that, he will travel through the city and take the Bridge or tunnel avoiding the ED toll. What should be a $10 round trip in tolls only costs him $4.

I'm happy to travel at cruising speed on the toll roads on if it means avoiding the bloody traffic lights and stop start motoring every 400 metres. That is worth the extra $ as far as I am concerned.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I get a perverse amount of happiness from free parking. Especially near Sydney beaches

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Mate of mine from Northbridge regularly travels to the Airport for interstate business trips.

He is happy to pay for the tolls going south using the Harbour tunnel and Eastern Distributer toll roads, where he only has to pay for the Harbour tunnel ($4 about).

Returning home going Northbound he would "normally" only have to pay for the ED toll. This is $6 something. Instead of that, he will travel through the city and take the Bridge or tunnel avoiding the ED toll. What should be a $10 round trip in tolls only costs him $4.

I'm happy to travel at cruising speed on the toll roads on if it means avoiding the bloody traffic lights and stop start motoring every 400 metres. That is worth the extra $ as far as I am concerned.

Reminds me of a recent discovery that warms my tight arse heart: usual trip to airport - tolls on M2, Lane Cove Tunnel, Harbour Tunnel and 43km. Alternative: south to M4, then south again to M5 East, around the back of the airport. No tolls, 35 km, only a few extra minutes at 6am. Sweeet.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Things a real tight arse would do:
Take a dump at work
Before going home from work take a thermos of hot water for your tea
Charge your phone at work

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Things a real tight arse would do:
Take a dump at work
Before going home from work take a thermos of hot water for your tea
Charge your phone at work

That depends on the toilet paper. If it is a two ply, sure thing. If it is a nasty one ply, I wouldn't.

Who doesn't charge their phone at work?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I know of someone who use to go to coffee shops to read the papers. They'd order a cup of hot water that was free and then take a tea bag out of their pocket and make a cup of black tea.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
When Merrick and Rosso were on Triple J they had a segment each week called Tight Arse Tuesdays. The stories that came in were incredible.
Two that someone rang in with that I actually saw happen in a supermarket was someone taking all the brown paper bags for mushrooms, apparently to be used as sandwich bags, and someone snapping off broccoli florets and leaving the stem.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Once spotted a guy a Sizzlers picking just the prawns out of the Thai prawn salad. Pissed me off because if he had just piled his plate up and just ate the prawns they would have bought more out instead we were left with a prawnless Thai Prawn salad.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Parking: One side of the street was 4P (with a ticket), and the other side of the street was 2P (no ticket).
Guess which side of the street I parked on?

Petrol Discount Vouchers: When we have a "big" discount (sometimes 16 c or even 20c per litre off), not only do we wait for the cycle to get low, but we will run the car around to almost bone dry to maximise the number of litres we will get 20c off.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
As a Valiant owner we have a few sayings. One is "sell a Valiant, meet a dickhead".

That tends to flow from the second saying. TAVO. Tight arse valiant owner.

Most Valiant owners became fans of the cars in the 80s when they were dirt cheap. You could get a big powerful car for not a lot of money. As they have become more popular the prices have risen but half of the enthusiast population still lives in the 80's. We all disparage the tight arses until it is time to buy something then we all revert to type and offer $35.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
toward the end of a back packing trip through Africa as a 19year old alone, I paid for a $28 dinner for 4 at a restaurant with my Medibank Private card. They didn't have eftpos or a working manual credit card swiper. They had to write the CC numbers on the slip and manually take it to the bank for processing.

L

LBA

My missus has a penchant for nicking the sugar sachets from coffee shops and sauce sachets from the bakery and stashing them in her handbag. They never get used though.

What bakery still has sauce sachets available for free? I will go there? I have bought a whole bottle of tomato sauce on sale at the supermarket for $2 rather than paying 50c for a teaspoon of it in one of those sachets. Huge sauce fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.