• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
My Team for the weekend

Slipper
Fingers
Kepu
Carter
Simmions
Hooper (c)
Jones
McCalmen
Phipps
Cooper
Tomane\English
To'omua
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Speight
Izzy

Alexander (LHP)
Faulkner (THP)
Hanson\Bongo
Horwill
McManhon
Foley
Horne
Lealilfanio\Godwin

If we are going to give everyone a shot this tour then swap in the \ players.

T

Tip

I'd hope it's something along these lines. This way everyone gets their promised gametime.
Slipper
Fainga'a
Kepu
Carter
Simmions
Hooper
Hodgeson
McCalman
Genia
Cooper
Tomane
To'omua
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Speight
Izzy

Hanson
Robinson
Alexander
Horwill
McMahon
Phipps
Godwin
English

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
There is no doubt that the Wallabies are missing Fardy on the Spring Tour.

Fardy, after a poor series against France, had a good/very good 2nd half to the Rugby Championship. Against the Boks in Cape Town he made as many rucks as Hooper but had more impact. Against Argentina, Fardy had the most ruck engagements (36) with Hooper some way behind (20).
These two games also show the change in approach to the breakdown under Link and Cheika.
Under Link, both Fardy and Hooper made few contacts in rucks in Attack with most involvement in rucks in Defense.
Under Cheika, the Wallabies are now holding back on the majority of Defensive rucks. Turnovers, with the inherent penalty risk, are not a priority. The change started in the game against the Barbarians (maybe Bled3??) and in place by the game against Ireland.

Under Link
Boks: Hooper - Attack 20/31 Defense; Fardy - Attack 23/27 Defence
ARG: Fardy - Attack 14/22 Defence; Hooper - Attack 7/13 Defence
BLED3: Hooper - Attack 32/19 Defence; Fardy - Attack 29/10 Defence

Under Cheika
BaaBaas: Horwill - Attack 33/15 Defence; Hodgson - Attack 31/15 Defence; McMahon - Attack 30/8 Defence (Horwill & Hodgson - 'Old School')
Wales: Hooper - Attack 36/10 Defence; McMahon - Attack 26/7; Hodgson - Attack 10/8 Defence (10 mins) (Hodgson "Old School' -thank goodness!)
France: Hooper - Attack 22/14 Defence; McMahon - Attack 30/2 Defence; McCalman - Attack 24/3 (Transition almost complete)
Ireland: Hooper - Attack 34/5 Defence; Jones - Attack 17/2 Defence (Transition complete - everyone follows orders.)

The Wallabies have upped the pressure on the Offensive Rucks with a focus on ball retention but have taken the pressure off the Defensive Rucks with minimal efforts on turnover. I'm not enjoying it as it appears to be giving the opposition a free ride AND they are still getting through our defensive line. The Wallabies look "soft".

No 6 Against England
In the absence of Fardy, Horwill, McMahon and Jones have been tried at No 6 with limited success.

After reviewing all options, it's time to let Hodgson loose at No 6 and see what the tight (Hodgson)/loose (Hooper) combination can do for a full game.

Sharpie always had high regard for Hodgson in the lineout - and called him the WF/Wallabies 'secret weapon'.

Hodgson at No 6 - Some Background
John Mitchell (in discussion with Robbie Deans) had turned Hodgson into a 6 combining with Pocock.
In early 2009, Hodgson was called into the Wallabies to replace Rocky Elsom who was going to have a minor knee clean-out during the Rugby Championship/Tri-Nations. Hodgson's first game was against the Barbarians and unfortunately towards the end of the 1st half he was dropped in the lineout and dislocated his shoulder. 5 minutes later, and just before half time, someone stupidly made a lineout call which made Hodgson the lifter. Being Hodgson, he did the job but that dislocated the shoulder again and ruled him out of the rest of the game. He ended up making his Test debut from off the bench against Fiji. He carried that shoulder injury for some time until it was reconstructed (along with his ankle in 2013).
Hodgson continued to play 6 for the Western Force whenever Pocock was fit. As we know the combination of Pocock, Hodgson and Brown/McCalman became well known in Super XV circles.
Hodgson has always provided injury coverage for ALL back row positions for the Western Force.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Under Cheika, the Wallabies are now holding back on the majority of Defensive rucks. Turnovers, with the inherent penalty risk, are not a priority. It was in transition in the game against the Barbarians and in place by the game against Wales.

The Wallabies have upped the pressure on the Offensive Rucks with a focus on ball retention but have taken the pressure off the Defensive Rucks with minimal efforts on turnover. I'm not enjoying it as it appears to be giving the opposition a free ride AND they are still getting through our defensive line. The Wallabies look "soft".

Good analysis.

However, it's not about contesting evey breakdown, particularly when a particular referee favours attacking side rugby. What do you gain? Compressing your defensive line is all I can think of. And wearing out your players.

The All Blacks fan out, make their tackles, and wait for the RIGHT ruck to drive over or attack the ball.

Turnovers of the type hodgo makes are rare at test level, and occur mostly when your defensive line forces the attackers into isolation.

T

Tip

However, it's not about contesting evey breakdown, particularly when a particular referee favours attacking side rugby. What do you gain? Compressing your defensive line is all I can think of. And wearing out your players.

Slowing down the opposition ball, enabling your defensive line to get set and mark up. Slowing down the oppositions ball means they'll probably commit an extra man in the ruck next time, which is less attackers to deal with.

Turnovers of Hodgesons type would be more common if it weren't for Captain Sooopa Hooper and the way he's changing the way Openside flankers play.

Hooper plays the much more traditional "flanker", circa 1920's...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm going for something radical against England.

1. Slipper
2. Hanson
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Carter
6. Skelton
7. Hooper
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Speight
12. To'omua
13. Folau
14. Tomane
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16. Mann-Rea
17. Robinson
18. Alexander
19. Horwill
20. McMahon
21. Hodgson
22. Genia
23. Foley

I'm assuming Fainga'a is out.

Cooper throwing a long pass to Folau at 13 who can offload in the tackle to Speight or Tomane. We need a TK replacement and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) isn't it. Skelton can spend the first half just bashing people and trying to injure them - at 6 so no scrum impact and 3 locks to defend the English maul. Hodgson and McMahon to speed up the game in the 2nd half and run England off their feet. McMahon on for Skelton start of 2nd half, Hodgson replaces Hooper sometime in the 2nd (he's going to be fucked after the season he's had). Not sure who goes captain, maybe AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Gone for Alexander of Faulkner because Alexander has actually done well at Twickers before and not sure how Faulkner will handle the cauldron.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
These two games also show the change in approach to the breakdown under Link and Cheika.

Ireland: Hooper - Attack 34/5 Defence; Jones - Attack 17/2 Defence (Transition complete - everyone follows orders.)
Great post and that is a pretty amazing stat.
Our starting flankers committed to 7 defense rucks between them - out of the Irish total of 70.

Hooper made 14 tackles and Jones 10 so it's not like they're shirking work.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Great post and that is a pretty amazing stat.
Our starting flankers committed to 7 defense rucks between them - out of the Irish total of 70.

Hooper made 14 tackles and Jones 10 so it's not like they're shirking work.

Other forwards obviously had more involvement in D rucks: Slipper & Fianga'a - 9; Kepu & McCalman - 8; Carter - 7; Simmons - 5.

There's a lot more becoming obvious (especially re timing of engagement and impact) but I'll wait until after the England game.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Other forwards obviously had more involvement in D rucks: Slipper & Fianga'a - 9; Kepu & McCalman - 8; Carter - 7; Simmons - 5.

There's a lot more becoming obvious (especially re timing of engagement and impact) but I'll wait until after the England game.

You can see the approach - either first in as the tackler, and try and get or disrupt the ball, or not in at all and realign for the next phase. Let the big boys hit the rucks and try and slow the ball down

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Hodgson has always provided injury coverage for ALL back row positions for the Western Force.

And isn't this the secret to success in team sports? Everyone working from the same set of instructions.

By the way, I loved your analysis.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Interesting that some of the people who (rightly) criticised Robbie Deans for making too many changes, shuffling players around and in and out and not having a game plan are now criticising Cheika for not making changes and having a definite game plan.:)

T

Train Without a Station

Interesting that some of the people who (rightly) criticised Robbie Deans for making too many changes, shuffling players around and in and out and not having a game plan are now criticising Cheika for not making changes and having a definite game plan.:)

You reckon the same people who criticized Deans for his continual selection of underwhelming players may be the same ones criticizing Cheika for his continual selection of Foley now all 10 options are available?

I think most of the criticisms of Deans were for picking players out of position, not changing the starting team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You reckon the same people who criticized Deans for his continual selection of underwhelming players may be the same ones criticizing Cheika for his continual selection of Foley now all 10 options are available?

Continual selection? It's been three tests.

The Barbarians game immediately before those three tests showed Cooper wasn't ready.

Maybe Cheika is about to make a change but has been waiting for Cooper to get more form and match fitness.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I think most of the criticisms of Deans were for picking players out of position, not changing the starting team.

I wasn't being specific to the 10 postion and I wasn't referring to you. I'd be sticking with Foley at 10 in the context of this tour and I disagree that he's been underwhelming. We simply haven't had the chance to see whether other 10 options are playing better and we won't until Super rugby 2015. That's the reality. It's rather like having an argument about whether the sun rises in the east - pointless.

Have a look at the past few pages (in fact you could even stay in this page) and see some of the teams that people have produced with multiple changes, and then do the same for the past couple of matches.

Deans moved people in and out of the team and shuffled people around (particuarly the backline) regularly and employed the play what's in front of you game plan.

T

Train Without a Station

I wasn't being specific to the 10 postion and I wasn't referring to you. I'd be sticking with Foley at 10 in the context of this tour and I disagree that he's been underwhelming. We simply haven't had the chance to see whether other 10 options are playing better and we won't until Super rugby 2015. That's the reality. It's rather like having an argument about whether the sun rises in the east - pointless.

Have a look at the past few pages (in fact you could even stay in this page) and see some of the teams that people have produced with multiple changes, and then do the same for the past couple of matches.

Deans moved people in and out of the team and shuffled people around (particuarly the backline) regularly and employed the play what's in front of you game plan.

And that's where I was disagreeing. From my recollection anyway, Deans hardly made regular changes when not necessitated by injury. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the uproar was that the team wasn't playing that well, and that he failed to react to this.

I'm sure there were of courses instances of this, but I can't remember any complaints of him not picking a stable side.

I was merely using Foley as an example where people who felt that previously, may not share your view.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
There is no doubt that the Wallabies are missing Fardy on the Spring Tour.

Fardy, after a poor series against France, had a good/very good 2nd half to the Rugby Championship. Against the Boks in Cape Town he made as many rucks as Hooper but had more impact. Against Argentina, Fardy had the most ruck engagements (36) with Hooper some way behind (20).
Under Link, both Fardy and Hooper made few contacts in rucks in Attack with most involvement in rucks in Defense.
Under Cheika, the Wallabies are now holding back on the majority of Defensive rucks. Turnovers, with the inherent penalty risk, are not a priority. The change started in the game against the Barbarians (maybe Bled3??) and in place by the game against Ireland.

Under Link
Boks: Hooper - Attack 20/31 Defense; Fardy - Attack 23/27 Defence
ARG: Fardy - Attack 14/22 Defence; Hooper - Attack 7/13 Defence
BLED3: Hooper - Attack 32/19 Defence; Fardy - Attack 29/10 Defence

Under Cheika
BaaBaas: Horwill - Attack 34/16 Defence; Hodgson - Attack 26/13 Defence; McMahon - Attack 29/7 Defence (Horwill & Hodgson - 'Old School')
Wales: Hooper - Attack 36/10 Defence; McMahon - Attack 26/7; Hodgson - Attack 10/8 Defence (10 mins) (Hodgson "Old School' -thank goodness!)
France: Hooper - Attack 22/14 Defence; McMahon - Attack 30/2 Defence; McCalman - Attack 24/3 (Transition almost complete)

No 6 Against England
In the absence of Fardy, Horwill, McMahon and Jones have been tried at No 6 with limited success.

After reviewing all options, it's time to let Hodgson loose at No 6 and see what the tight (Hodgson)/loose (Hooper) combination can do for a full game.

Sharpie always had high regard for Hodgson in the lineout - and called him the WF/Wallabies 'secret weapon'.

Hodgson at No 6 - Some Background
John Mitchell (in discussion with Robbie Deans) had turned Hodgson into a 6 combining with Pocock.
In early 2009, Hodgson was called into the Wallabies to replace Rocky Elsom who was going to have a minor knee clean-out during the Rugby Championship/Tri-Nations. Hodgson's first game was against the Barbarians and unfortunately towards the end of the 1st half he was dropped in the lineout and dislocated his shoulder. 5 minutes later, and just before half time, someone stupidly made a lineout call which made Hodgson the lifter. Being Hodgson, he did the job but that dislocated the shoulder again and ruled him out of the rest of the game. He ended up making his Test debut from off the bench against Fiji. He carried that shoulder injury for some time until it was reconstructed (along with his ankle in 2013).
Hodgson continued to play 6 for the Western Force whenever Pocock was fit. As we know the combination of Pocock, Hodgson and Brown/McCalman became well known in Super XV circles.
I like it but you say it's a game plan and it could be just the player Fardy loves to hit a defensive ruck and slow the ball or steal it. That's his game, he turns the breakdown too shit fight. And I love it

Status
Not open for further replies.