• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Official Shield Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah there are a few Shawn Mackay trophies going around. So why not something a bit different. Anyone know who was the first womens rugby Captain. Maybe name it after her. something a bit different and shows we support women in Australia Rugby.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
we don't celebrate all the ruggers who died in war, and its a good generic term to have a memorial shield. Lots of club men died and rugby lasted beyond its hardest times, probably even harder than these trying times :p

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
IIRC, Rugby "shut down" during WW2 out of respect for the war effort. Fivekick did not.

Apparently it is one of the reasons behind the current dominance of Mungo on the eastern seaboard.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
So is this going to happen?

I just thought, given no one can decide whether the inaugural shield winners should be the Rising or Brisbane City, why not have them play each other in round 1 of the 2015 season and the winner get the shield? Would obviously need the ARU to back the concept from a fair way out.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

I just thought, given no one can decide whether the inaugural shield winners should be the Rising or Brisbane City, why not have them play each other in round 1 of the 2015 season and the winner get the shield? Would obviously need the ARU to back the concept from a fair way out.

While a r1 Rising vs City match is good idea, I thought everyone was pretty well agreed that it would go to the rising as minor premiers with a perfect in-season record.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
While a r1 Rising vs City match is good idea, I thought everyone was pretty well agreed that it would go to the rising as minor premiers with a perfect in-season record.

Not from what I've read on here. I don't really mind either way but would probably slightly favour giving it to the first winner of the competition. Minor premierships mean little in Australian sport.

But then I thought of this playoff for the shield in round 1 idea and thought it could be cool.

There doesn't seem to be much happening re the Shield now though so it might not matter.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

That would, in effect, be awarding it to the home team. If the home team wins, they keep it; if the away team wins they win it.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
You can talk around in circles forever about how it should run but first you need a shield! Somewhere along the line it's got lost.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Stuff making a shield. That costs money, time and effort.

We are a Virtual Community. Make it a Virtual Shield.

Call it the Green and Gold Rugby (.com) Shield.

@Rugby Future could knock up a decent png or jpg image of the Green and Gold Rugby (.com) Shield.

The "holder" of the Green and Gold Rugby (.com) Shield is then granted a licence to display the Green and Gold Rugby (.com) Shield on their facebook page, web site, etc and on relevant promotional material while they retain the shield.

The rules for challenging for the Green and Gold Rugby (.com) Shield would be similar to the NZ Ranfurly Shield, and would be more or less as agreed to by consensus earlier in the thread.

All the current Holders home games during the regular NRC season are automatic challenges. The winner of the challenge becomes the Holder of the shield. In the event of a draw, the current Holder retains the shield. The Green and Gold Rugby (.com) Shield is not played for in NRC finals/semi finals or trial matches.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
No one will care about a virtual shield. There's essentially one in international rugby and I can't even remember the name of it. Ireland currently hold it.

If you can't hold it up and take a photo with it after winning it then it's nothing. I thought the idea was to create the equivalent of the Ranfurly Shield.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I think it still is, I'm still coming up with a design trying to make it as uniquely australian as possible. I think a nice bit of varnished gum donated by this community might work better than trying to design a trophy design

Reasons:

1. its uniquely australian
  2. its innovative to use as a trophy and reflects our diggers (if we were to make it simply a "memorial shield") in using found objects as tools
  3. its simple, can be budgeted and easily made
it would be one of the most unique rugby trophies in the world in being not a piece of metal but simply the piece of wood behind it and readily recognised.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I think it still is, I'm still coming up with a design trying to make it as uniquely australian as possible. I think a nice bit of varnished gum donated by this community might work better than trying to design a trophy design

Reasons:

1. its uniquely australian
  2. its innovative to use as a trophy and reflects our diggers (if we were to make it simply a "memorial shield") in using found objects as tools
  3. its simple, can be budgeted and easily made
it would be one of the most unique rugby trophies in the world in being not a piece of metal but simply the piece of wood behind it and readily recognised.

I like this. Traditional trophy/shield designs can get bogged down as they are too easy to criticise - we all have different preconceived ideas of what they should look like.

I remember the same argument back in 05 while they were launching what became the A-League. Different stakeholders wanted trophies based off different pre-existing trophies - there were ideas for an EPL style cup, a Test cricket style sceptre, and it all looked to be getting messy until the launch, when they revealed the toilet seat.

After a couple of weeks of 'wtf', the toilet seat's really grown on the league, and 10 years later I can't imagine an A-League grand final without it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, I've got access to a chain saw and a bloke who is a good metal worker

I can have it ready by Christmas!

HorseSizedDuck

Peter Burge (5)
Well, I've got access to a chain saw and a bloke who is a good metal worker

I can have it ready by Christmas!

B3by6knCcAAgPrD.jpg

DONE!

:p

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
obviously the text would be the bottom of the shield. The glass the top. The idea with the glass is that its replaceable, so after 100's of years they can replace the glass simply rather than add to trophy and ruin its initial charm.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
obviously the text would be the bottom of the shield. The glass the top. The idea with the glass is that its replaceable, so after 100's of years they can replace the glass simply rather than add to trophy and ruin its initial charm.

It's clearly an Australia like shape so why would that be the bottom? To me it would be better if bottom was the southern coast rather than the east coast.

That's just my initial reaction anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.