• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
To'omua gets over the gain line most of the time in close quarters with little space and quick ball allows the outside men to have space. His defense and second playmaker skills are pretty special as well.
No question that Bob knows a thing or two about the caper but TK also benefits from having a little extra space to build up a head of steam. He also has a good eye for a gap.
He reminds me of Mat Burke (1980's version) from Waverley. He played much the same way and had comparable strength.
I am sure Burke played at 12 at schoolboy level and was very good but 13 was his best position.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
England retain the 23 that got up over Samoa:

England squad to face Australia:
Forwards: Dave Attwood, Kieran Brookes, Dylan Hartley, James Haskell, George Kruis, Courtney Lawes, Joe Marler, Ben Morgan, Matt Mullan, Chris Robshaw (c), Rob Webber, David Wilson, Tom Wood
Backs: Brad Barritt, Mike Brown, Owen Farrell, George Ford, Jonny May, Billy Twelvetrees, Anthony Watson, Richard Wigglesworth, Marland Yarde, Ben Youngs

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9579407,00.html

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
England retain the 23 that got up over Samoa:

England squad to face Australia:
Forwards: Dave Attwood, Kieran Brookes, Dylan Hartley, James Haskell, George Kruis, Courtney Lawes, Joe Marler, Ben Morgan, Matt Mullan, Chris Robshaw (c), Rob Webber, David Wilson, Tom Wood
Backs: Brad Barritt, Mike Brown, Owen Farrell, George Ford, Jonny May, Billy Twelvetrees, Anthony Watson, Richard Wigglesworth, Marland Yarde, Ben Youngs

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9579407,00.html
Mystery to me what they see in Haskell

T

Train Without a Station

As always with Dwyer, it's worth paying attention to the content of his arguments.

Older posters may remember this, but when he was advocating Beale at 13, it was part of a wider system of advocating an elusive, playmaking 13 and a crash-ball 12, which he described as reversing the traditional center roles. At the time, this was ridiculed because it was the opposite of what was then in vogue, but soon many international teams were playing precisely that style. Strangely, it never caught on in Australia. Instead we moved towards the New Zealand second-five configuration and have pretty much stayed there since.

Internet posters come and go, but Dwyer (heart attacks notwithstanding) is still here, and is still making well-considered statements about how the game can be played. If his ideas are different to ours, then perhaps that's an opportunity for us to learn something.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not advocating putting Beale at 13. I'm discussing Dwyer's former advocacy of it. Like KOB says, Dwyer's current thinking is to put him on the wing, and that's an argument I agree with.

I agree with your point, but in doing so only resolves about a third of the problem.

Beale's weakness in contact is already bad. In the 13 channel he would be more prone to isolation. Strength in contact is critical there due to the extra time for support to get to the tackle contest. Then there's the defense.

Bob coached a great World Cup victory in 1991. That doesn't make every idea he suggest pure genius.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's a fair point: numbers on backs mean relatively little in Australian rugby currently, perhaps less so than any other national team. It's about channels now with players running in several of them. I guess what Dwyer means with Kuridrani is that he wants the sledgehammer running more at the defensive 10-12 channel, and the rapier running more in the wider channels. That's probably more papaltable to fans than actually putting a 12 on Kuridrani's back. It also implies the second playmaker playing somewhere other than in the centers.

It is possible to play the second playmaker at 15, as the Saffas do with Willie. I just can't see Matt To'omua being as effective if he is back there. Quade maybe, but I think he has to be our primary playmaker. In the Ireland game, To'omua played first receiver on many occasions when Foley and Quade were at 10 and in those situations Kuridrani becomes the proxy No 12. Works best imo if we are running the ball out of a defensive situation.

Toby Spencer

Stan Wickham (3)
I really would like to see:

9: Genia
10: Tamoua (play flat and hard at the line)
11: Speight
12: Beale (crash ball 10 means beale would have a bit more time / space)
13: Falou (try something new with TK out injured)
14: ACC
15: Quade (second playmaker option at 15 like SA. Links well with Genia down the blind side)

Would be an exciting team to watch!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I really would like to see:

9: Genia
10: Tamoua (play flat and hard at the line)
11: Speight
12: Beale (crash ball 10 means beale would have a bit more time / space)
13: Falou (try something new with TK out injured)
14: ACC
15: Quade (second playmaker option at 15 like SA. Links well with Genia down the blind side)

Would be an exciting team to watch!
I don't even know where to begin.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
If we're not going to play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at outside centre I'd go with either Lilo or Horne. Both are in decent form, and Lilo is very comfortable playing outside of To'omua.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Lets just throw Hooper in at 13 because he's good at busting tackles and go with Beale at 7 so he can start.

Status
Not open for further replies.