• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Disability

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LBA

Happy to talk about disability - permanent disability? Disability caused by an accident? Since birth? It is a very broad brush stroke - just saying the word disability.

A lot of people put talking about any type of disability in the to hard basket. Unless it impacts you directly or somebody close to you - a lot of people talk the talk but cannot walk the walk.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I worry our society is losing compassion at a great rate and we are not showing the maturity to talk about disability.

Happy to talk about disability and hope it is a productive conversation where I can learn how to best do my part. I am the carer to my mother who is physically deteriorating and was when Dad had his battle with cancer. The hardest part was and is getting the balance right between helping giving the person their dignity. Nothing but intent but always worried about causing offense.

This forum is probably a good place to start. Last year many of us felt comfortable enough here to open up about our mental health issues and the discussion was productive even if it only created more empathy and alertness to those who have trouble with it.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Yes. I heard it on the radio this morning. This is very sad. She was feisty, funny and fierce in calling "bullshit" when needed. Australia will miss her, perhaps without even recognizing her influence. Best wishes to her family and friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.