• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty sure that it's outside the official test window, and therefore probably doesn't fall under their contract. I'd imagine that they have the rights to all games in the official IRB test window, or something like that.
All the wallaby games are part of the anti-siphoning legislation, so this really has to be a Ten decision.

Reactions: BDA

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
On another note while searching for info on the broadcast for this weekend I came across this little nugget-

The France Australia game had TV ratings of 6 million in France. No wonder we can't compete with their money.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Sounds like the new broadcast deal might just be enough money to keep the ARU rolling. The news of the FTA coverage of Super games is a nice bonus.

Does anyone know if there is any broadcast dollars coming to SANZAR from the Japanese broadcasters?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Sounds like the new broadcast deal might just be enough money to keep the ARU rolling. The news of the FTA coverage of Super games is a nice bonus.

Does anyone know if there is any broadcast dollars coming to SANZAR from the Japanese broadcasters?

If Ch 10 get to replay a game on Sunday am, will it still be shown live on Fox does anyone know. That is, is it a replay or a delayed telecast?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
If Ch 10 get to replay a game on Sunday am, will it still be shown live on Fox does anyone know. That is, is it a replay or a delayed telecast?

i would think it will almost certainly still be shown live on fox sports, particularly because 10 will only want to air the big aussie derbies and what not. I imagine the idea is fox will air the game live on a friday night and then 10 will air it the next morning when it wont clash with any of fox's live sport. The other option would be to play a friday night game at about 10pm on 10

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
i would think it will almost certainly still be shown live on fox sports, particularly because 10 will only want to air the big aussie derbies and what not. I imagine the idea is fox will air the game live on a friday night and then 10 will air it the next morning when it wont clash with any of fox's live sport. The other option would be to play a friday night game at about 10pm on 10

Yes, but do you know? Or just surmising?

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This Test Match not being on free to air is very disappointing. Since it's on the anti-siphoning list, it's pretty much just that none of our FTA networks wanted to pay for the rights to broadcast it. What a sad state of affairs.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
10 is such an average broadcaster, no wonder they're on the edge of going down the gurgler.

Fox subscribers - does old mate Rupert offer a web-stream only option? I've got zero interest in EPL or AFL channels but would be willing to pay for a monthly rugby subscription. If digital is the future, it strikes me that internet streaming based on individual preference must be a part of the menu.

I'd pay in a flash.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
It is strange that 10 is not showing this game as it is probably the most anticipated game of the tour. I have Foxtel so I watch pretty much all my rugby there and I have noticed previously that England games tend to be on the Setanta channel and not on the normal Fox sport channels. Games VS England right might be part of a separate agreement all together perhaps and maybe they could not secure the rights

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
10 is such an average broadcaster, no wonder they're on the edge of going down the gurgler.

Fox subscribers - does old mate Rupert offer a web-stream only option? I've got zero interest in EPL or AFL channels but would be willing to pay for a monthly rugby subscription. If digital is the future, it strikes me that internet streaming based on individual preference must be a part of the menu.

I'd pay in a flash.

Yes.

https://www.foxtel.com.au/discover/foxtelgo/default.htm

Online, and streamed. On a month to month contract, and you can get just sport for the parts of the year you want.

They are still obsessed with selling the set top box version, so it's not the easiest thing to find on their page.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, they've changed it so you can't just get sports anymore. Minimum cost is $50 / month. Ah well.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Well, they've changed it so you can't just get sports anymore. Minimum cost is $50 / month. Ah well.

Seems crazy they aren't pushing in that direction. I baulk at the stupid bundling of useless channels. Happy to pay for sport broadly in a format that suits me.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Firstly, how do you guys live without Foxtel? :eek:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417135487.637325.jpg

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Just phoned channel 10 and they are not showing the rugby. More money showing a constant stream of infomercials apparently (if the tv guide is anything to go by).