• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Welcome aboard

Tribe have been around a while. Not sure of all the history or where the money comes from but they go on some pretty good trips every year.

Had some handy players play for them as well.

Sam Caslick (former uni and wests prems player) runs the show at the moment I am pretty sure.
Some of the other players who have played recently are
Peter lee (aus 7's and sunnybank) Matty garland (GPS), Andrew muirhead (Souths), Jordan taupou (aus 7's Easts/sunnybank), Ryan Leeson (uni), tom Pincus (uni), George Morseu (uni/wests) and Joel Faulkner (Easts). All very impressive flyers

RugbyScholar

Frank Row (1)
Thanks Red Heavy. A few familiar names listed there and some gun players, didn't realize the caliber they attracted. Interesting that Tribe isn't affiliated with a single club, would like to know where their funding comes from as surely the QRU/ARU don't have extra cash to be throwing at these types of ventures.

T

Tigers Tale

Would love to see Joel Faulkner & Shannon Walker on the wings for the Tigers in 2015!!!

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Would love to see Joel Faulkner & Shannon Walker on the wings for the Tigers in 2015!!!
Is Shannon walker injured again? He hadn't featured in the australian 7s team as of late. I know he's had a bad run of injuries but maybe his best bet is to play some 15s this year and push for an NRC spot and see what he can make of that

mathew thushker

Bob McCowan (2)
I think you will find that 'Tribe' is loosely associated with Wests. They train at Wests, and a lot of the Junior Wests 7's teams are playing under the 'Tribe' banner.
*The Tribe colours are also Green with Gold and White trim (not sure if that is deliberate or coincidental)

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
It seems there is some interest in this type of 'independent' 7s team and sounds like the opportunity to go on international tours would be very enticing. Makes me wonder why there aren't more club based 7s teams doing the same thing, I think only UQ and Sunnybank regularly enter competitions and I'm sure most club could put together handy sides.

RugbyScholar

Frank Row (1)
I think you will find that 'Tribe' is loosely associated with Wests. They train at Wests, and a lot of the Junior Wests 7's teams are playing under the 'Tribe' banner.
*The Tribe colours are also Green with Gold and White trim (not sure if that is deliberate or coincidental)

That makes sense. Maybe they also have some association with a player management company? I know Newstar Sports enter teams at 7s tournaments.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
There was a Tribe fundraiser dinner earlier in the year.

I assume some of the fundraising comes from winning these tournaments. I don't know the money on offer but it can be in the thousands of dollars in some instances if you run the table at a competition.

You'd be paying for airfares/backpackers accommodation I assume & if you pull off a scalp like Shanghai (which they did last year) that would help bankroll the season or next year 7's circuit.

The girls team is also pretty impressive. I saw they went to Amsterdam this year.

Anyone interest in the operation, they have a Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/tribe7s

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
From what I've heard they have received ARU funding in the past. It doesn't really make sense as these teams pay no fees to the QRU or ARU and don't have to pay for facilities but get the benefit of players from clubs. If I was a club I wouldn't be happy about it.

RugbyScholar

Frank Row (1)
As Bigdog said its surprising the clubs haven't caught on and started their own teams. I'd imagine if teams like Tribe gain more exposure then it may become more of an issue and clubs may start stepping in.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
From what I've heard they have received ARU funding in the past. It doesn't really make sense as these teams pay no fees to the QRU or ARU and don't have to pay for facilities but get the benefit of players from clubs. If I was a club I wouldn't be happy about it.

Obviously you're seeing it thru the dragon fans eyes, Tribe and Sunnybank have faced off in many Grand Final 7's tournaments and obviously when the tribe win, it's potential money out of the Sunnybank's back pocket (more money for 1st place then 2nd place)

They still have to pay entry fees into the domestic tournaments they enter... So it's not like the QRU/ARU ain't getting it's slice of the pie, further down the track.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
SouthernX, any Premier Rugby developments at Wests? Have the Dogs recruited well or are they in for another tough year?

Tommy B

Bob McCowan (2)
Watching the NRC, I see they experimented with some of the rules, and also changed the point scoring system. Does anyone know if those rules variations will carry on into the Grades competition next year?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I hope the new scoring system doesn't carry across. Obviously a discussion for a different thread but I believe 3 points is too much for a conversion, especially in the lower grades where finding decent kickers can be a challenge.

T

Tigers Tale

I see no problem in adopting the NRC points system in QPR15 but I think they should change the try bonus point back to 4 tries either side because it encourages both teams.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
No, I disagree. I personally like the current points system. When you have a good goal kicker, like Brothers do, the current situation works.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth - even when you agree with me you say "I disagree"???

I see no problem with the 3 point conversions and 2 point pen/DG, what I am saying is that they should alter the try bonus point situation - NRC you got a try bonus point if you scored 2 more tries than the opposition whereas the current S15/QPR rule is that if either side scores 4 tries they get a bonus point.

Filth how are your blokes going to go in the coach's second year.

Are you sure that Greenie will be at Brothers next year?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Are you sure that Greenie will be at Brothers next year?

I saw him post something on instagram stating as such. Said he was looking forward to another year with the Bretheren

IMG_2759.PNG
IMG_2759.PNG

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think Brothers will make the finals. Hopefully they will pick up Thor as well. Graham mentioned how Thor will play the majority of 2015 in club rugby, so whoever gets him, will be the greater. Matheson has done remarkably well with the set-piece, with Brothers having the most dominant scrum in the regular season, as you can testify to, TT.

Greene in butchers stripes for 2015, as Reg alluded to.

Status
Not open for further replies.