• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Lets look at the glass half full. I think Cheika is simply playing it safe and does not have confidence in Coopers fitness.

His ability is not the issue. He is returning from injury and hasn't got enough match fitness and game time to deserve a start. Fair enough if true.

That is the only explanation I can come up with. Because if he is choosing Foley over Cooper because of ability, then we might want to start looking for another coach.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So Gagger past success means that Cheika is incapable of a poor selection?

and Chris Whittaker might have been the most capped half back and the best captain we never had.
Historically, incumbency in the Wallabies does not necessarily run from year to year: so, if the difference between Cooper and Foley is as great as you and others contend it will be revealed in S15 and Cooper will demand selection for TRC.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Come full time on the weekend Cheika switches to Tah mode.

We have a World Cup in about 10 months.

We are losing to teams we should be beating.

We win 70% of the games Cooper starts, 40% when any other fly half starts.

We continue to select players at a level past their ceiling.

I'm disappointed that not everyone is getting a chance like it was suggested, but I understand why Cheika went for Foley (match fitness, goal kicking, tah loyalty etc).

We have many major problems and issues, this is just one.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The idea of Cheika being a conservative coach is probably the most hilarious assertion yet

If you are referring to my post, I was talking about conservative in that he is going to what he knows, not that his game plan is conservative.

Make sense?

P

Paradox

Tomane very unlucky but as Cheika said, Horne deserves a shot. By the same logic, Cooper deserves a go at starting so there's a bit of inconsistency in thinking behind selections. I'm quite disappointed Cheika has not gone with Jones again.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Can't we ban these whinging Queenslanders?

Foley is the messiah. Untouchable.
Sure we have only won 1 of the last 6 tests.
Sure the GAGR audience has ranked him 14th, 14th, 5th, 9th, 14th and 14th in these last 6 tests.
Sure his GAGR rankings have been 6,4,7,7,4,4 over the same period.
Sure we look slow and lacking intensity when he is at 10.

But none of this matters. You clearly only want Quade because he is a Qlder.

P

Paradox

All this continual hand wringing over backline options amuses me, the pig's effort will decide this match

That's why I think Jones should have had a go again...but there's not much we change in the forwards due to injuries.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I think that discipline is very important - giving away kickable penalties is not on (I'm looking at you Luke Jones).

Running too high into defenders is also not on (again, I'm looking at you Luke Jones).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can assume this is the side then

1. Joe Marler
2. Dylan Hartley
3. David Wilson
4. Dave Attwood
5. Courtney Lawes
6. Tom Wood
7. Chris Robshaw (c)
8. Ben Morgan
9. Ben Youngs
10. George Ford
11. Jonny May
12. Billy Twelvetrees
13. Brad Barritt
14. Anthony Watson
15. Mike Brown

16. Rob Webber
17. Matt Mullan
18. Kieran Brookes
19. George Kruis
20. James Haskell
21. Richard Wigglesworth
22. Owen Farrell
23. Marland Yarde

This is the confirmed side.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
Can't we ban these whinging Queenslanders?

Foley is the messiah. Untouchable.
Sure we have only won 1 of the last 6 tests.
Sure the GAGR audience has ranked him 14th, 14th, 5th, 9th, 14th and 14th in these last 6 tests.
Sure his GAGR rankings have been 6,4,7,7,4,4 over the same period.
Sure we look slow and lacking intensity when he is at 10.

But none of this matters. You clearly only want Quade because he is a Qlder.
Someone else posted that you can hardly use the audience ranking as a guide due to various agendas,which I think is quite true.I thought he had his best match against Ireland(except for his kicking)and would be unlucky to be dropped.However,I also would not have complained if Cheika had given Cooper a go,even if it was only to pacify the Qlders.;)
Although I follow the Tahs,I really don't give a shit which state they come from when they are playing for the Wallabies.I would hope that applies to the majority,but doubt it!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

o_O Using Scott Allen for your supporting material. That's cute. Good luck with that.

Scott Allen comes up with a decent argument every so often, like a broken clock. Oh and stick figures. Mustn't forget the stick figures; you've no idea how disappointed I am he's used only colour.
Just to make my personal viewpoint perfectly clear: all material by Scott Allen is inadmissable as evidence due to it being painted in broad maroon strokes and those statistics or assumptions he picks to suit his argument directly, while ignoring completely those that would render his argument worthless.

Like this bloke:

We win 70% of the games Cooper starts, 40% when any other fly half starts.

Jeezus. I honestly thought your recto-cranial inversion would have finished you by now....

In addition, I watched the game replay today, and took my time. It doesn't take a freeze-frame images overlaid with paintbrush to tell me that twice at least, Speight came in off his wing - when we already had even numbers - and left a man free. And he ran too upright. But he won't be dropped because our insides failed to put him into space, and that's where he's going to cut the fucking Poms to bits.

IF we stop chucking it 10 metres wide of every ruck, that is. Even slow, thick Pommy backs can run and tackle.

The Waratahs success doesn't equal dominance in every single position.

See, here's where you're cornered. Again. And while I'm slightly sick of playing this game, especially as its going OT, it does amuse me somewhat to shoot you down with hard facts.

Foley scored the most points as an individual in this year's Super Rugby season. In fact his total points is more than TWICE what To'omua and Lilo scored together. Or more than To'omua + Lilo + Quade put together if you want it put in terms you can understand.

And given most of you think Beale is shit, Foley's effort must rate even higher, hmm? Or you can fall back on the argument of convenience that Beale helped Foley be that good. Whatever.

Further to this, he played every game at 10 for the highest scoring, lowest conceding team in the competition, which also scored the most tries and conceded the second least, and won the competition the minor premiership with a game to spare.

So perhaps it might not equate to dominance in EVERY position, but as far as flyhalves go, Foley has the Australian competition pretty much fucking nailed. Yeah he had a good forward pack to run behind, but what he did with the ball he got was top quality, and he won games with his goal kicking, which is what we want a flyhalf to do.

So, while I would in no way disparage Quade's abilities, because he is talented, let's stop talking about what Quade did last year on EOYT because it actually isn't fucking relevant. Start dealing with the fact that Foley deserves his spot until he has a 'mare (or an injury), or until another candidate gets enough game time to oust him.

And given Quade's running of the ship didn't result in any tries on the weekend - for which some of the blame must lie with his mate Sanchez - I don't think that will be any time before 2015 and rightly so. I reckon he'll get a decent whack of time on the weekend unless Foley is providing a huge lead; another advantage of incumbency is you get the game time if you're doing it right.

Personally, I think it would be great if all our blokes fire in Super Rugby 2015 and they give Cheika some headaches at the selection table, with the pressure on and a short turnaround to selection TRC players in light of RWC.

He certainly didn't wipe the floor with To'omua.

Not in game 1 certainly. Foley smashed him in game 2 for overall performance though. And can kick goals which apparently To'omua can't do, even when Lilo is in the middle of a 'mare from the tee.

To'omua is a good player. But there are some on here ready to hand him the Wallaby 10 jumper when he has a list of his own shortcomings to address. Like who is going to kick goals?

What I'm actually sick of is everyone ready to shoot Foley down at a moment's notice for making mistakes, then hold their own candidate up on a pedestal like their shit doesn't stink. To'omua turned the ball over three times inside 10 minutes of resumption and missed a touch finder. Quade fucked a high ball and popped some passes that weren't on late in the game. They make mistakes. They also - all three - did good things.

But with Cheika implementing a new set of requirements, they're ALL going to make mistakes. Tahs fans learned that over a whole season.

But if these blokes are as good as you say they are, then by fuck they'll iron out the crinkles and get the positions they deserve. Cheika isn't actually going to fuck around with favouritism, because he's got nearly 3 years left on his Wallaby contract and less than 1 on his Tahs contract.

He knows the goals are winning trophies - RWC, Bledisloe, TRC, Mandela Plate - and that pissing the players off isn't going to help that one bit.

One thing is for sure: Quade will be given an honest and frank assessment of where he sits, and what he needs to work on. Every player at the Tahs got the same thing, and look where it took them.

Status
Not open for further replies.