• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LBA

:):)

Sorry if I was not clear.

I want to know why the past two Regatta's were not premiership point Regatta's.

And the going around in circles reference was to - I think we all agree that the website could do with an upgrade - we are not in a position to do anything about it - or at least I am not. We can only circle the issues not actually do anything about them.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
It just means that he two regattas held so far this season aren't GPS premiership points regattas. I think it is only you going around in circles.

Think it's a woman's prerogative to go around in circles! :)

<<<<ducks for cover

Reactions: LBA

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
:):)

Sorry if I was not clear.

I want to know why the past two Regatta's were not premiership point Regatta's.

And the going around in circles reference was to - I think we all agree that the website could do with an upgrade - we are not in a position to do anything about it - or at least I am not. We can only circle the issues not actually do anything about them.
I think they will be eventually included in the pointscore. They're listed as events on the AAGPS website. It's more what we've been talking about - that the AAGPS website is obviously under resourced and sadly neglected (last updated 24/10/14). Apparently, as far as they know, the Riverview Gold Cup is on this weekend! Holy shit... Better get those warning banners out for those pylons!

Some little gremlin will eventually get off their arse and update it whenever they feel up to it - at the moment they're probably having a Bex and a good lie down.

L

LBA

Another question what happens over Christmas to the forum - it just sits on a server until we all start talking about the first of the 2015 GPS Regatta's Scots College 31st January. Bloody hell that is just around the corner. 1st December next Monday.

Will be packing up for Taree before I know it - sorry not GPS I know.

If somebody did not give the Mogwai water it would not have turned into a Gremlin and might have done a better job.

L

LBA

Snap shot! It is a PDF file - should open easily.

Attachments

• GPS Regatta Point Score.pdf
    52.8 KB · Views: 334

alfred

Bob McCowan (2)
Well as the last regatta of this year approaches I have a strong feeling that shore will come back from last weeks disappointment and place 1st or 2nd. I'm sure after such a disappointing loss, David Jennings has rallied the crew together for this week. If not, shore, along with joeys and scots will make great gains on their respective camps in New Zealand, leading to what will be exciting racing next year.
Something that could spark a bit of conversation is the idea of American universities and a growing number of GPS athletes travelling to the unites states to row and study. Would like to hear thoughts on this.

Look forward to seeing this weekends results. My bet is shore and joeys placing first or second followed by scots and riverview fighting for 3rd place.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Well as the last regatta of this year approaches I have a strong feeling that shore will come back from last weeks disappointment and place 1st or 2nd. I'm sure after such a disappointing loss, David Jennings has rallied the crew together for this week. If not, shore, along with joeys and scots will make great gains on their respective camps in New Zealand, leading to what will be exciting racing next year.
Something that could spark a bit of conversation is the idea of American universities and a growing number of GPS athletes travelling to the unites states to row and study. Would like to hear thoughts on this.

Look forward to seeing this weekends results. My bet is shore and joeys placing first or second followed by scots and riverview fighting for 3rd place.
House Tully may be rueing not crossing the ditch this December to get some intensive rowing/racing lessons from those dreaded Kiwis.

It was always said that HOTRs were either won or lost over the Christmas break. My thoughts are that now that the Christmas break isn't the massive (halcyon) nine week summer holidays (before they switched to four terms) the lay off isn't so bad. With schools going to camps at the beginning and coming back for 9 day camps just before term commences, there isn't much of a break anymore. So the schools that do some race training in NZ, I think will benefit. Good psyche up value, racing training, great water in NZ, O/S buzz etc.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)

I think this year RA are basically choosing an U23 VIII solely from US university based Australian rowers (which makes it a little tight for the U23s who stay here). Things still depend on SAT scores but I think it's a still a great marketing tool for rowing. Not many other Aussie sports get you over there with assisted scholarships (i.e. cricket, AFL, rugby.) I heard that not so many have been canvassed from this last season as opposed to the season before... worldwide competition, maybe?

L

LBA

I know of a few boys who have their eyes on the prize - the prize being to study OS and row.

Yes "Little Pig" I heard that about RA as well - there is no real incentive to stay in Australia when you get get a scholarship to row and study. Tess Gerrard is just one example.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I know of a few boys who have their eyes on the prize - the prize being to study OS and row.

Yes "Little Pig" I heard that about RA as well - there is no real incentive to stay in Australia when you get get a scholarship to row and study. Tess Gerrard is just one example.
She's here though. isn't she? Studying out of Syd Uni (and rowing from Sydney?)

L

LBA

House Targaerian, House Stark and House Lannister (don't know who allowed them out of the country I thought they were on a watch list :):) )- All their bags are packed and they will be ready to go - leaving on a jet plane.

Don't know when they will be back again - hopefully their parents will.

"Little Pig" I worked out Shore was House Targaerian - and I am now addicted to Game of Thrones.

L

LBA

She's here though. isn't she? Studying out of Syd Uni (and rowing from Sydney?)

Yes she is here - on the board of SRC - sorry I used her as an example of somebody who rowed and studied overseas.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Ok - the data I used for my spreadsheet was your results with a total at the end. I think yours is interesting. Easy to understand.

Do the boys know how the AAGPS pointscore works???? I think it is a shame that the all the crews do not get to contribute.

For example - I did mention this - the Joeys 3rd VIII who won - were all so excited - but their win does not count in the overall point score.

What are your thoughts on the point scoring system Barry?? Anybody??

I agree that is should be junior and senior - but every crew within the category.
So.... In actual fact we're no closer to an accurate Junior or Senior points score at all?

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Have a look at this - I really do think I have got my head around it now. I do apologise I now know that the 3rd VIII is included but in the Junior pointscore.

If this passes the test I will set it up the same way for the junior.

The only thing is whether the GPS crews get their 1st, 2nd, 3rd place points regardless of the interlopers.

L

LBA

My interpretation of the term "Rowing Interloper" - boys who have filled a spot due to illness or injury ??

Interloper - noun - a person who is in a place or situation where they are not wanted or do not belong.

So bottom line - AAGPS Rule the crew has to be the same each time they race or points are not awarded??

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
My interpretation of the term "Rowing Interloper" - boys who have filled a spot due to illness or injury ??

Interloper - noun - a person who is in a place or situation where they are not wanted or do not belong.

So bottom line - AAGPS Rule the crew has to be the same each time they race or points are not awarded??
Reading just a bit too much into it.... interloper = non GPS schools

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Here is a basic pointscore from last Saturday's Sydney Grammar Regatta - using 4 points for a win, 2 points for 2nd and 1 point for third:

Shore 44
Joeys 32
Riverview 18
Kings 9
Scots 5
Newington 2
Grammar 2
High 0
Based on 2014 AAGPS pointscore system
1st 4
2nd 3
3rd 2
4th/started 1

Looks like 3rd VIII is tallied with Juniors.

That should clear things up (finally!) OK over to Sheldon....

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Conditions will be pretty good for H&C. Get up to 27 degrees with a slight
NNW tail wind @ 17km. Maybe a bit of protection for the first 500m then the breeze may kick in.

Status
Not open for further replies.