• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
All this continual hand wringing over backline options amuses me, the pig's effort will decide this match

It'll be an interesting game up front, as well as in the backs (regardless of our backline selections) since our fast backrowers give us a much wider umbrella in attack, provided we can get quick ball. The breakdowns will be where the game is won and lost, I reckon.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Dont want to quote your post pfitzy cos it will take us on to the next page! But well done, not much there that can be argued with frankly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P

Paradox

@pfitzy Well that post just consisted of setting up straw men and knocking them down. You've come out before and claimed To'omua had a poor super rugby season even though he was nominated for super rugby player of the year. Your comments regarding Scott Allen are frankly weird

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
@pfitzy. All i have to say is. Foley is an average 10 at best. At both super xv and Test rugby. He is far from a poor performer but he also far from a world-class one too.

Is he currently the best option given the current circumstances. Yes. (assuming Cooper isn't match fit). But lets be real, Foley has no real competition for his spot. Cooper isn't match fit. To'omua & Lilo are both considered 12's at Test level.

So it's a bit rich to come to his defense, he needs to lift if he wants to hold his spot. I don't expect him to be a long-term option and either should you.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
@pfitzy. All i have to say is. Foley is an average 10 at best. At both super xv and Test rugby. He is far from a poor performer but he also far from a world-class one too.

Is he currently the best option given the current circumstances. Yes. (assuming Cooper isn't match fit). But lets be real, Foley has no real competition for his spot. Cooper isn't match fit. To'omua & Lilo are both considered 12's at Test level.

So it's a bit rich to come to his defense, he needs to lift if he wants to hold his spot. I don't expect him to be a long-term option and either should you.

So you're writing off Foley's potential as well as his current abilities? Sheesh, that's tough. We could easily have done the same for To'omua and Lilo after a few lean years at the start of their careers, but most people held faith with their ability to get better, and they have.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I wonder when Cheika is going to name his bench.
I really hope Alexander, Skelton or Beale are not a part of the eight yet to be divulged

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
going to be a very testy test, no love lost between these 2 packs of filthy foreign psychos.

Running the gym pony pommy pack off their feet must be the go, if I was Cheika I'd be picking the fittest 8 I could, almost half irrespective of position. No place for Skelton IhOMO

Really hoping Aus put them to the sword, throw twickers into even more turmoil prior to 2015 RWC (the C is for Coronation) (you wouldnt credit it but I think 2015 might even be "The Year of the Sheep"? I REST MY CASE).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
So you're writing off Foley's potential as well as his current abilities? Sheesh, that's tough. We could easily have done the same for To'omua and Lilo after a few lean years at the start of their careers, but most people held faith with their ability to get better, and they have.

Well I don't see a lot of potential. Where is the potential? Is it in his passing game? His kicking game? His defense?

There is a reason why Mckenzie chose Beale to start at 10 before him and that is potential. Beale has a lot - although he hasn't improved the slightest in the last 3 years and is an utter liability but that;s another story. The point is however the potential is there.

Where is it in Foley? I think To'omua has potential to be a very physically dominating player as he has shown glimpses of this, Cooper has potential to be the world best, as he has shown glimpses of this and he is already hitting his potential. Even Lilo has shown glimpses of superb super rugby form in 2011/2012.

I haven't seen any glimpses of anything in Foley. He is really a player with a limited skill-set on both attack and defense.

For the record I hope I am wrong.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Well I don't see a lot of potential. Where is the potential? Is it in his passing game? His kicking game? His defense?

Where is it in Foley? I think To'omua has potential to be a very physically dominating player as he has shown glimpses of this, Cooper has potential to be the world best, as he has shown glimpses of this and he is already hitting his potential. Even Lilo has shown glimpses of superb super rugby form in 2011/2012.

I haven't seen any glimpses of anything in Foley. He is really a player with a limited skill-set on both attack and defense.

Yep I have to agree... Foley strenght is he is safe... Yes there are pkayers with better weapons... Foleys partnership with Phipps his advantage over them at this time...
His kicking in play is average but goal kicking good, he brings points but not quickly enough to win tests...
Cheika needs to try more talent there...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You've come out before and claimed To'omua had a poor super rugby season even though he was nominated for super rugby player of the year.

Where in that post, or any other, did I say To'omua had a poor Super season?

I said he makes mistakes - I said that all three players under discussion make mistakes. They all have at Test level, as recently as Saturday! I said he didn't have as good a season as Foley, which all the stats (and a winner's medal) bear out.

But if you can show me evidence that I said To'omua's Super Rugby season was poor, then do so, or maybe step away from the bullshit cannon and take a breath.
Rather than wang on about "potential", I'm concentrating on the FACT that Foley is the incumbent because, by any measure, he had the best season at flyhalf of any of the Australian players.

The whole point of Super Rugby is to provide Test players. It has provided.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

There is a reason why Mckenzie chose Beale to start at 10 before him and that is potential. Beale has a lot - although he hasn't improved the slightest in the last 3 years and is an utter liability but that;s another story. The point is however the potential is there.

Despite all this, he managed to steer his team to win the super rugby title. Imagine if we'd had a decent 10.;)

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

Foley is a classic running flyhalf. He's very fast and can make breaks. He's comfortable playing flat, which provides opportunities in a dual playmaker configuration. His short passing game is good. His long passing game needs to be developed. Despite what peolpe say on here, his defence is very good. To argue that a young Wallaby flyhalf lacks potential is a failure of imagination.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
He makes the others around him look good.
Beale in S15 was sublime in his first year at 12.
Phipps having his best year ever.
1 try on the weekend and 2 try assists.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
There are many more strings to Foleys bow than him being "safe".
He is a very good fly half but rather than him being "safe" I would say that he makes good decisions under pressure. Something that QC (Quade Cooper) has always struggled with.
It really makes no difference. If we have a pack that will get on top of their opposition then there are several back combinations that could be selected and would win.
Win the forward battle then win the war.
I would have persevered with Jones and kept McMahon or Hodgo on the bench to strengthen our set piece.

There certainly is something in the fact that our recent record is crap and that we are falling down the ratings at a rate of knots but there is no point in making changes for changes sake.

Prefer to see no KB (Kurtley Beale) on the bench. Or at the very least not KB (Kurtley Beale) and QC (Quade Cooper).

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Don't hold your breath, Shelts.

Since you mentioned it, good to see 36 back.

baha1.jpg

baha2.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-duc_7XswvlQ/Unb-qXJCi4I/AAAAAAAAB-Y/_oIQfcWYYSU/s1600/30min+To'omua+try.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.