• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe this is the time for some of the politically conservative rugby supporters to arc up and make their voices heard.

Manly Marlins have a large and vocal supporter base. Perhaps it's time to get out in your electorate (which is the PM's electorate) and make it clear that you're unhappy with these cuts to the ABC.

IIRC the Manly R.F.C. president was a Liberal Party candidate.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The ABC coverage has been up for being chopped each year, for years

Then the SS gets devalued & shortened further by the ARC ...................

This doesn't come as a surprise, much easier to chop this than make the cuts into the arts programs even less watch and middle management fat

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Maybe this is the time for some of the politically conservative rugby supporters to arc up and make their voices heard.

Manly Marlins have a large and vocal supporter base. Perhaps it's time to get out in your electorate (which is the PM's electorate) and make it clear that you're unhappy with these cuts to the ABC.

a cynic would suggest that is exactly why it was one of the cuts

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The ABC coverage has been up for being chopped each year, for years

Then the SS gets devalued & shortened further by the ARC .......

This doesn't come as a surprise, much easier to chop this than make the cuts into the arts programs even less watch and middle management fat

Good point FP -- this is why I suggested the ABC is just as much to blame for this decision as the ex Sydney Uni front rower who now packs down in The Lodge.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

One of a number of cuts to sports broadcasting.

It would have been totally amazing if a niche, middle-class, white bread sport like rugby had been excluded, while sports like women's soccer were dropped.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

I'm no political expert and my comments are unjustified - people have referenced and blamed Abbott - he played, and he is into sport and fitness, i cant imagine he was solely responsible. I'm guessing so would have to ask - what side do rugby demographic people sit?

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Having a politically conservative government has worked so well for rugby in Australia./sarc

The NBN would have allowed organisations such as the A.R.U. (and Cricket Australia, the A.F.L., the N.R.L., etc.) to set up and sell a season pass. Instead we have the Mtm.

Enough Australian voters thought that they knew better.

Every day the Coalition lurches from one catastrophe to another. They would be out of their depth in a carpark puddle.
You never give up do you Boyo? The politics thread was closed champ.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

you mean the ABC getting back at former rugby players like Abbott, Hockey and Turnbull?
You cut the funding and your precious game can go sing - and your constituents who watch will whinge to you!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Serious guys, this is the one comp that is all about Australian Rugby, you get to say it the way you say it, sledge the like of a Tummy Carter, and have a beer after the game. For those that can get to the park, go and watch. For those that can't im hoping Club rugby TV, or BarTv come to the party.

But let's leave politics elsewhere - yeah.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Serious guys, this is the one comp that is all about Australian Rugby, you get to say it the way you say it, sledge the like of a Tummy Carter, and have a beer after the game. For those that can get to the park, go and watch. For those that can't im hoping Club rugby TV, or BarTv come to the party.

Well said Dave :)

boyo

Mark Ella (57)

Well may you say "But let's leave politics elsewhere - yeah.", but the cuts are political, and these cuts lead to the cessation of the SS coverage.

I, and many others, will be much the poorer for this loss.

Don't shoot the messenger as a way to express your disappointment.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Well may you say "But let's leave politics elsewhere - yeah.", but the cuts are political, and these cuts lead to the cessation of the SS coverage.

I, and many others, will be much the poorer for this loss.

Don't shoot the messenger as a way to express your disappointment.
Wasn't directed at you.

How the cuts were applied I think we're the choice of the broadcaster not so much the political party - abc broadcasting SS has been discussed for years.

I reckon if the right effort was put in over time it could be for the better - as disappointing as it might be right now.

Who knows with enough interest maybe commercial TV might pick it up, I don't know what the viewing is like on a Saturday arvo because I'm at the game.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
You totally ignored my points in your haste to denigrate me.
I am truly sorry if you felt denigrated. It was not my intention. I wanted to indicate to you that your input, such as leading on another thread with F(&ck Tony Abbot, our sitting Prime Minister, and in others addressing the challenges of Shute Shield with political declamations, was becoming tendentious.
Boyo - some of us - perhaps only me ;) - voted for a coalition govt. for reasons we thought rational and economically sound. When you come out F*(^cking that, you are the one who denigrates.
Really mate, I wish you well, but when I come to a Rugby forum I do so to talk about Rugby, not the evils of Abbot and etc.
Please talk Rugby. I would bet you know a bit. Carry on with my good wishes.
Couldabeen

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Yes the ABC flicked the SS. And that decision is a disgraceful decision made by the ABC and NOT Abbott and his band of merrymen. To disappoint @couldabeen for a bit, I will speak politics, but only briefly. After being a lifetime Labor Party voter, I have not voted for them since Keating's arrogance got him into the main chair. I voted for Abbott on the belief that the reckless government spending from the previous 2 PM's (the worst 2 in our nations history) would stop and we'll see things back to the way they should be. Sadly though, it is clear IMO only, that Mr Abbott is clearly out of his depth.

That all said, I read in detail the government proposal for the funding cut. The cuts are at 1% of the ABC budget per annum for the next 5 years. So it's not a massive hit in 1 year as the scribes will have us all believe. 1%. That's bugger all. The decision to cut the SS by ABC was made because the management were looking for an excuse to do so.

I am hearing though that there is still a decent chance that the SS will be on free to air in 2015. Albeit one of the major tv networks digital channels but free nonetheless.

On several occasions in recent seasons, the tv ratings in NSW for SS have been higher than the ratings for Sydney Swans matches. This is fact. And hopefully the leadership from NSWRU/SRU/ARU are making any prospective broadcaster aware of that.

Fingers crossed they can pull a Rabbit out of the Hat

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
On several occasions in recent seasons, the tv ratings in NSW for SS have been higher than the ratings for Sydney Swans matches. This is fact. And hopefully the leadership from NSWRU/SRU/ARU are making any prospective broadcaster aware of that.

This is what I don't understand, along with NSWRU financing it, why did the ABC want to cut the SS before the announced cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.