• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
On top of this just to confuse things, there is also a NSW Rowing Schoolboy Shield, worked out from non GPS regattas - like the NSW State Champs, SRC Regatta and NSW Rowing HOR. Shore have won this won the most as well, although some other schools have had a go at it. Kings won it two years ago. The current holder is Kinross Wolaroi.

Not really. They have their system and the GPS has theirs.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
There are a few events that are added to the points table for recording purposes such as the 3rd VIII, but they are excluded from the pointscore. I am not too fussed about what events are or arent included in the tables, but the 3rd VIII does seem out of place being put in the Junior section. These boys will all be in Year 11 & 12 next year, and to be grouped with the Year 8 quads is a bit of a kick in the teeth. Not sure who came up with the bright idea of putting the 3rd VIII in with the Junior section of the pointscore. It could be time for the pointscore system to be re-vamped.

On top of this just to confuse things, there is also a NSW Rowing Schoolboy Shield, worked out from non GPS regattas - like the NSW State Champs, SRC Regatta and NSW Rowing HOR. Shore have won this won the most as well, although some other schools have had a go at it. Kings won it two years ago. The current holder is Kinross Wolaroi.

Pretty self-explanatory, really
http://portals.studentnet.edu.au/sports/uploads/DocArchive/DOCARC0003918.pdf

John jones

Frank Row (1)
Thank you "Little Pig"

I respect the Boat Racing Officials very much John Jones - they volunteer their time - and it would cost them in fuel to travel out etc. If you had read previous comments you would notice I had made a comment - that if the hosts of any Regatta had to pay them the cost of the seat fees would go up - that could be said for boat drivers , time keepers. There is an army of unpaid workers behind the scenes who obviously love rowing who generously and consistently turn up to help out at these Regatta's.

I also agree the rules are the rules and should be adhered to NOT and interpretation of them. So all coxes should be weighed in 1hr before a race and the weight is 50kg. Yellow cards should be handed out for racing starts in the transit lane, not attached at two minutes etc.

If any of these crews attended Nationals they will be in for a rude shock.

I also witnessed a Boat Racing Official being abused on Saturday - while she was trying to do her best - but did anybody bring that up !!!

People can be very quick to jump to conclusions - do you research obtain all the facts and then make an informed decision. Don't take things out of context.

Thank you again "Little Pig" I found your response to John Jones to be very chivalrous - and I did not even have to look that up in my dictionary.

:):):)
LBA, I have done plenty of research and know the facts, I have been a BRO for the last 10 years and currently coach a senior GPS crew. I understand BROs do not get the recognition they deserve and frequently cop abuse from the parents and coaches. Whilst BROs will follow the laws of boat racing to the letter during Rowing NSW regattas the GPS have their own rules and request the BROs attending GPS regattas show some flexibility ie late to start,not wearing correct uniform etc etc.Cheers JJ

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
So it seems that my bold prediction stands - Joeys is dominant so far. Perhaps the reason I have had no Shore backlash is that the reality is setting in. I feel for them. After such a long winning streak it must be hard on the boys this season who are falling short of the mark. I hope they are receiving the right kind of pastoral care and wellness coaching; I know, I know, it's only sport but those of us who have been around schools and young people know what a toll it can take.

Having said that, it's refreshing not to have a Shore whitewash of every regatta. Yes, Joeys did well in seniors but coming through Year 9 quads and Year 10 eights the results are much more evenly shared. Much more exciting for all to have genuinely competitive races with less predictable outcomes.

BTW the pointscore page I posted in reply to someone else is up there for all to see on the AAGPS website. Not difficult to find or interpret.

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
I think Joeys 1st VIII have three contenders at this stage, Riverview have been closing the time gap at each appearance since the first regatta of the season. Scots have had things go amiss at both regattas since so we don't yet know where they are at other than to draw an inference from their 2nd VIII's performances which have been very impressive. And Jennings is a factor not to be dismissed so early in the season.
2nd VIII looks like a battle between Scots and Shore

L

LBA

Looks like I missed a great day of racing :mad:

I have checked the results for the past three Regatta's and I would not rule out Joeys 2nd VIII to be win either.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and all the very best for 2015.

No more questions from me - I will leave you all in your GPS world. Time to return home.

Hope all the young men continue to improve their times, remain safe and have lots of fun.

L

LBA

LBA, I have done plenty of research and know the facts, I have been a BRO for the last 10 years and currently coach a senior GPS crew. I understand BROs do not get the recognition they deserve and frequently cop abuse from the parents and coaches. Whilst BROs will follow the laws of boat racing to the letter during Rowing NSW regattas the GPS have their own rules and request the BROs attending GPS regattas show some flexibility ie late to start,not wearing correct uniform etc etc.Cheers JJ

I came to the forum to learn about GPS rowing nothing more nothing less - time to return home. I guess the only real question that I will never get answer for is why?? Why have two sets of rules - never mind. Healthy debate and supporting your view regardless of what it is - is a life skill.

I hope you are enjoying coaching your crew - it would be both and honour and a challenge to guide these young men.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
You'll be attending next years' HotR, LBA? If yer lucky you might meet me. I've seen only two Joeys crews win in my lifetime: I made a special trek to the nationals in 2005(?) when Joeys were hot favourites and won, and records show Joeys won the Yaralla Cup about 1967; I can't remember that one, probably too busy chatting up schoolgirls during the race. In my son's time they were favourites in 2004 and 2005 but were pipped by Shore both times, a similar story to my year who came second to King's in 1970. Somewhat akin to my experiences of watching the ABs beat Australia by one point, I think I'm up to eight!

Form usually holds good in rowing, if Joeys continue to win leading up to the HotR I'll make an effort and turn up. All this from one who played cricket during his schooldays!

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Maybe the Scots 2nd VIII coach was distracted by his boat companion? On a different note, the Shore 1st eight are niticeably smaller than Joeys; on the other hand Scots 2nd eight are massive while Joeys look more rangy. In one crew (can't remember which) there was a remarkable anomaly - a whol crew quite lean but carrying one absolute giant. We're talkibg huge, maybe 100kg in a crew where all others would be 80. It was noticeable enough to strike me as the boat went past the jetty. Any experts with an opinion on how that affects performance/results?

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Speaking from experience, fpiglet? I personally wouldn't know but it was cause for some amusement among rowers and BROs. First recorded case of "eyes in the boat" for a coach.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Speaking from experience, fpiglet? I personally wouldn't know but it was cause for some amusement among rowers and BROs. First recorded case of "eyes in the boat" for a coach.
Hey, I'm not batting for the other side, not that there's anything wrong with that. But I have seen him surrounded by a posse of schoolgirl rowers! I wasn't there on Saturday but he is obviously having an impact at ISIS in more ways than one!

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
You'll be attending next years' HotR, LBA? If yer lucky you might meet me. I've seen only two Joeys crews win in my lifetime:
Yep. Saw those two as well but I may have been a bit younger. I agree, short of unforeseen illness or disaster, you're in a better position building on form than spending too much time finding form. It's a shorter break these days and with camps at the start and end, I don't think you'll see such a seismic shift in performance from crews that are struggling with their depth.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hey, I'm not batting for the other side, not that there's anything wrong with that. But I have seen him surrounded by a posse of schoolgirl rowers! I wasn't there on Saturday but he is obviously having an impact at ISIS in more ways than one!

From what I was told, it was the boat driver making all the impact, not ISIL's newest recruit. The schoolgirl posse..........well, he has that reputation, but for most KT observers it's considered a case of "legend in his own mind".

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Not that there's anything wrong with that! Didn't mean it that way, I promise - I just assume like all blogs/forums that there's a bit of camouflage in people's stated age and gender, so you never know who you're really talking to.

saucyboy

Frank Row (1)
In one crew (can't remember which) there was a remarkable anomaly - a whol crew quite lean but carrying one absolute giant. We're talkibg huge, maybe 100kg in a crew where all others would be 80. It was noticeable enough to strike me as the boat went past the jetty. Any experts with an opinion on how that affects performance/results?
Was this the joeys 1st IV by any chance? I noticed their 2 seat is quite colossal. The rest of the crew however seem to be quite lean. On another note I noticed they came out with a tandem rig this weekend which seemed to work quite well for them. They also changed their 3 seat to stroke. The new stroke is doing a fantastic job. In both the heat and final he maintained a consistent rate down the course. He should be applauded for his efforts on the weekend. One of the best strokes of a 4 I have seen in a long time. I'd say with this latest change joeys are looking quite competitive to win Yaralla cup at HOR. Not sure what happened to Shore and Scots last weekend. The holiday period will be crucial.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Agree re holiday period being crucial. Hope Jennings can weave his magic though wont be easy given results so far. For some reason we (Shore) always seem to have slightly lighter crews (reason why we struggle in rugby) so lads need to train and eat like madmen over the 6 weeks. C'mon Shore.

MR

saucyboy

Frank Row (1)
Shore have had their fair share of glory over the past years. In my opinion it's about time someone else has a win. 1st 4 2nd 8 and 1st 8 has been pretty well dominated by shore over the past years. A fresh face on the podium would be nice

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Totally agree. A couple of seasons ago there were so many Shore victories in any given regatta that spectators did kind of give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.