• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
What does it say about us that we lost even though we made the majority of the play, and England 'barely played' (the set-pieces excepted)?

Your incessant blaming of the ref is exhausting as well, especially when you don't even know the laws involving the maul
Yeh when they stop moving forward the ref calls use it once. Then again. As for the ref. This game was average but his other games this year have been bad and this was a big game. Should of had a big game ref. He missed a few things that helped us don't worry. Like quades meter forward ball that TH kept calling flat.....

dasduke

Frank Nicholson (4)
Disappointed but let's keep it in perspective.

If our scrum didn't keep losing us field position through penalties, I think we could of got away with it.

I don't understand why the scrum is such a persistent issue. Is it the cattle, the coaching? Both?

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Actually, if we have thought that a victory of NSW in the last Super Rugby season could increase the crowds at rugby games next year, this spring tour made several steps backwards and now I don't think the crowds will increase next year. At all levels: Rugby Championship, Super Rugby and NRC

:(

T

TOCC

Not actually a decade. The rot set in with regard to physicality in 2008 when Jason Weber was replaced as Wallabies S & C by Peter Harding as part of the Deans experiment. Deans didn't pay attention to strength conditioning because in New Zealand brute strength is a given.

Harding had a preoccupation with bar speed with weight restricted to 30% of 1 rep max IIRC.

How many reps were players doing, 100 for each set? That's incredibly stupid if true.. That sort of intensity might be good for endurance occasionally, but I can't imagine a professional rugby team building their whole S&C program around it :/

T

TOCC

So I chose not to watch the game, I'm in the middle of some uni exams and don't have the luxury..

What happened In the pushover scrum, I read Simmons was subbed off at halftime for Jones, was Skelton on the field at the same time?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We were always on a hiding to nothing with our new coach signing on the dotted line on his way to the airport to meet a group of players that he didn't pick, some he didn't even know. He also did not have his choice of coaching staff outside of Nathan Gray.
There is no way we could have won this game because our forwards just got poleaxed in every aspect of the game. No way to pretty it up.
However, we could have come away with wins against Ireland and France and we all would be hailing the tour a great success despite the above.
Cheika now has a super season and a shortened RC to prepare his Wallabies for the RWC. A good start would be to immediately fire all of the coaches that have anything to do with the forwards, including set-piece, fitness and strength. Send them all back to Shute Shield or schoolboy rugby.
He then needs to rally the Super coaches and get all on the same page regarding fitness, strength and technique in-between now and the RWC. Does not matter if all of our provinces play the same way this year. He also has to identify all tight 5 potential now and make sure that they do not go anywhere. Letting PAE go is a travesty of monumental proportions.
I suspect we will see a very different forward pack come the RC, and rightly so. If not it's unlikely that we will make it to the playoff stages.
I feel sick to the stomach.........

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Cheika learns that test rugby, certainly isn't super rugby and shouldn't be played as such.

Disappointing result, disappointing tour. Regardless of how long Cheika's had with the team - it isn't a different team. Maybe the implementation of his style could have been gradual rather dropping the entire defensive system and rebuilding the attack.

Shaky, shaky times 12 months out from the world cup. ARU need to be held accountable.
What was wrong with the defensive system?
They scored 2 tries off the back of two dominant scrums.
England had no other opportunities to speak of.
Their defensive system worked well IMO.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was good. Ran for more metres than anyone else on the field and defended well.
Phipps was off today. The rest of the backs were fine. If we had a half decent pack we would have won that by 2 scores.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Another lesson we could take from tonight was in relation to mauling. The more the shape of a pack's maul resembles a set scrum the more efficient and effective it will be. In this respect the England maul was exemplary. By contrast the Australian forwards were splintered and dangling around the fringe of the maul.

Not the sort of thing you concern yourself with when your focus is on smart, creative, attacking Pulverising rugby.

Well, Andrew Blades has had a few years to fix the maul and hasn't. So perhaps you should stop attaching Pulver's name to everything and start blaming the staff at Wallaby, provincial level, club level, or school level.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
If this is Aus at its worst then fuck me you lot have nothing to worry about. When Ireland, England, France or Wales hit bad form we often drift outside the top eight, sometimes slipping to ninth or bloody tenth (for perspective, where Japan have been occupying the past weeks).

Narrow defeats to Ireland and England teams playing better than they have done in the past ten years isn't the end of the world. The only issue is if Cheika can fix the defence before the RWC with only 5 matches left. But to be honest, the guy is coaching the Tahs so he can test out a helluva lot of stuff with players that will be in your RWC squad regardless. You're basically getting extra training there.

The ARU should be trying to pencil in one or two more training camps. Unlike in England or France the franchises are under direct control of the union, more camps more cohesion. Personally it does look like the team will fall just short of their potential at the RWC, but who knows, you only need form for just over a month, play like you did against Ireland and England in the first half and they'll be there or just about.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not actually a decade. The rot set in with regard to physicality in 2008 when Jason Weber was replaced as Wallabies S & C by Peter Harding as part of the Deans experiment. Deans didn't pay attention to strength conditioning because in New Zealand brute strength is a given.

Harding had a preoccupation with bar speed with weight restricted to 30% of 1 rep max IIRC.

Was that part of the Deans theory that australian rugby players were too big?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think you are wrong on pretty much all your points.

Good luck to you.

Any reasonable person would present a case in opposite of what you have just presented.

The 'wonderful' thing about social media is that your views are exposed to others.

Some may doubt the benefit of the general populace espousing their opinions :)

Benevolent dictatorship anyone?
And the opposite case would consist of the following work of pure genius would it?

Hope you lose all your games next year Waratahs' fans.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I agree with the elephant in the room..the reality is that we had a bad year and as a result have fallen to 5th on the rankings. Despite this we are only a converted try per game from being #2..a differential we can make up through several areas in 12 months

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I agree with the elephant in the room..the reality is that we had a bad year and as a result have fallen to 5th on the rankings. Despite this we are only a converted try per game from being #2..a differential we can make up through several areas in 12 months
one positive though, the lower in the rankings we get the easier it becomes to beat a higher ranked team.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not sure how anyone can be certain we will not get out of pool play: there are some many players to come back, there will be season ending injuries in s 15 and it is simply literally impossible to know what team would be our starting team - for instance Genia might get his mojo back.
It pointless even worrying about that because it is so far out of anyone's control.
What we need to address are the things we can control.
I am very concerned about how our scrum went today - not because of personnel. Posters seems to have forgotten that until this week we have had parity at worst with our first choice scrum.
What troubles me is that we showed no capacity to adapt and not ability to get the officials seeing things our way.
The poms failure to pack straight at LHP was evident on every aerial shot from the first scrum. Cheka has a monitor in front of him. He is wired to Nathan Grey. he must have had a replay. Or Blades must have been able to see it. if Kepu doesn't know whats being done to him then Grey should have been sent to Hooper with a frigging message.
Why was no message sent out for Hooper to get in the ref's ear - tell him they're not packing straight etc etc. And tell him until he does something about it.
Hooper did not speak to the ref once. The ref did not issue a caution. The pommy 15 probably should have been carded for his cynical offside and the ball that bounced off the upright for IF to ground it started from a robinson pass to a lazy pommy runner coming through our backline - none of this shit get's raised with the ref because Hooper is too young, lack authority and may not see some or all of it.
Do you think McCaw would not have been in the ref about these issues?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

I am tired of this argument. The same is true since of the Wallabies since Deans took over. It is not good enough. This is the equal worst ever EOYT isn't it? I see little reason for optimism heading into the RWC.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I am tired of this argument. The same is true since of the Wallabies since Deans took over. It is not good enough. This is the equal worst ever EOYT isn't it? I see little reason for optimism heading into the RWC.
I feel the difference now is that we only to make small improvements in a few areas to bridge the gap whereas in the past we have needed to reach maximum potential..I.e there is greater upside

Status
Not open for further replies.