• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pocock Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can't believe anyone here thinks that being arrested is a positive example to set. Don't care what it's for, if you feel passionately about something there are numerous legal options to pursue to make your point without have to break the law (this is Australia and he isn't Aung San Suu Kyi).

Should be dealt with in the same way as any other ARU contracted players arrest.

On another note it is easy to take the moral high road on mining when living in a country, that quite frankly without mining would be broke, dark and with a considerably lower standard of living.

That's a rather naive view of the world.........

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Looks like he's staking a claim for immediate inclusion in the wallaby squad.
No doubt the fact that this was a protest will lead to general acceptance that he should be allowed to follow his conscience.
If you want to follow your conscience you don't take the $$$ that come with the contract you sign with the ARU.
Following your conscience is not part of the job description, but commit sexual harassment and assault and we'll throw money at you to get you to re-sign. Funny that.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That's a rather naive view of the world...
Any more naive than protesting on a site nearly a year after the fight in the courts was lost?
The mining co has spent a couple of hundgee mill since then.
This particular fight is well over.

He should pick another site to battle over,where he might have a chance of influencing outcomes.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Any more naive than protesting on a site nearly a year after the fight in the courts was lost?
The mining co has spent a couple of hundgee mill since then.
This particular fight is well over.

He should pick another site to battle over,where he might have a chance of influencing outcomes.

Yes, I believe it was Gandhi that said, "Ah, fuck it............ They've already won."

Such profound wisdom..........

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I prefer a Rugby analogy ....it's like he is going into this ruck after the ball is out.
There are plenty of rucks where he can contest possession.

But hey,it's his time,he can fight whatever battles he chooses.
I just reserve the right not to be in awe of empty gestures.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
What a legend. It would be easy for him to shirk his conscience based upon the repercussions because of his high profile, but he has had the guts to step out there and do what he thinks is right.

The balance between what's good for Australia's economy and alternatively protecting our environment is a massive see saw that takes in thousands of players. From politicians, lobbyists, government environmental scientists down to environmental activists, they all have an important part to play in getting the balance right. I can't condemn Pococks involvement. His part to play is as important as all the others and I respect his decision to do what he has done today.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Pocock has every right to protest , in a polite and thoughtful manner ...if the laws have been broken under those circumstances so be it - he will cop it on the chin like many others before him (including politicians , members of the clergy , doctors , dentists , sex workers , greenies , accountants , students , Professors , Tradies ..etc ) . If you want someone who is prepared to stand up for his convictions and the rights of others (He is a champion for gay rights amongst other causes) at his own expense he sounds like someone I would be proud to pack down in a scrum with . In this democracy Most Australians work for an employer and everyone has the right to protest ... The ARU is far from special ... We have seen changes over the years by those who conscientiously challenge the system and sometimes consequently break the law in order to effect change and or test the judiciary, so if you would rather we didn't have to endure the battles over conscription , abortion , the environment , workers rights , slavery , discrimination and other social injustices , Land rights - Native title , Mining Industry aberrations ..Asbestos , Coal Seam Gas , Water Table issues etc just sit back and relax as you order a $45,000 fine and indefinite suspension ..REALLY???
I told my children to admire sports stars they like but NOT to consider them as role models , just take note of the positives knowing that we are all not perfect as is the human condition . The ARU has more pressing problems to deal with , get over it !

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Looks like he's staking a claim for immediate inclusion in the wallaby squad.
No doubt the fact that this was a protest will lead to general acceptance that he should be allowed to follow his conscience.
If you want to follow your conscience you don't take the $$$ that come with the contract you sign with the ARU.

And what if you act like someone with no conscience?

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Intelligence is what separates us from rugby league. I for one hope players are encouraged to stand up for what they believe in, doing so in a peaceful but dedicated and passionate matter.

I think over the last year we have established that there are too many air-heads in the Wallabies squad. If Pocock is close to a return next year, this is a refreshing headline if anything.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Can't believe anyone here thinks that being arrested is a positive example to set. Don't care what it's for, if you feel passionately about something there are numerous legal options to pursue to make your point without have to break the law (this is Australia and he isn't Aung San Suu Kyi).

Should be dealt with in the same way as any other ARU contracted players arrest.

On another note it is easy to take the moral high road on mining when living in a country, that quite frankly without mining would be broke, dark and with a considerably lower standard of living.
It might be a small time "technical" arrest of little if no penalty.

I am not too sure on NSW law but would guess it is similar to QLD law.

If he was blocking a public area or stopping entry to a business then he could be asked to "move on" by police. If he does not comply without a reasonable excuse then he would be arrested for failing to comply with a move on direction.

Typically this would be a $150 fine and no conviction.

I guess he should get some penalty from the ARU if a conviction is recorded but highly doubt the ARU will do so (unless the mine owner is a massive rugby sponsor). It would be hard for the ARU to penalise someone for this as it is seen by some as a moral issue yet they let immoral players join the spring tour to keep them happy

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Some of the views on here are amazing! People want to label what happened the same as some of the other idiots that are around that have assaulted women, been in late night drunken fights and been thrown off planes. What he has done has just deepened the respect I and a lot of other Austealians have for him. It is similar to his already stated belief in equal marriage rights for all individuals. He is a leader and a person I want to represent my game at every level

domo

Stan Wickham (3)
So breaking certain laws are ok? Who decides? Doesn't the rule of law apply to rugby? Very strange./

Are you actually suggesting Pocock should be punished for peaceful activism on environmental issues? It is this attitude that has characterised Australia's now world famous apathy in this area.

I mean we'd all rather he become a mouthpiece for CSG, shack up with Alan Jones, and sell his soul to the highest bidder but some people just aren't built that way. A crying shame.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Some of the views on here are amazing! People want to label what happened the same as some of the other idiots that are around that have assaulted women, been in late night drunken fights and been thrown off planes. What he has done has just deepened the respect I and a lot of other Austealians have for him. It is similar to his already stated belief in equal marriage rights for all individuals. He is a leader and a person I want to represent my game at every level

Except that it is not against the law to advocate for changes to the law in a peaceful, non-invasive way.
By questioning the judgment of someone who puts himself in a position to be charged with an offence you are not condoning every act or atrocity committed by all prior wallabies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Are you actually suggesting Pocock should be punished for peaceful activism on environmental issues? It is this attitude that has characterised Australia's now world famous apathy in this area.

I mean we'd all rather he become a mouthpiece for CSG, shack up with Alan Jones, and sell his soul to the highest bidder but some people just aren't built that way. A crying shame.

How about I come over to your place and check what books or films you have been watching and then stage a sit in if I don't like them?

Status
Not open for further replies.