• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
In terms of his holistic role with the Reds, Kev is/was a once in a generation type of bloke. Yes the shoes will be filled but it will take a couple of blokes to do it.

It will be interesting to see in light of this announcement, how this year will play out. Will it be business as usual or will it be a big, "Do it for Kev!" year?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think if the Reds go into the season with the mindset of 'Do it for Kev!' they may be setting themselves up for failure and putting too much pressure on themselves. There are too many new faces for that to happen.

It should be business as usual and get the combinations working. If they click (and hopefully they do) then yes, as the season progresses and the crunch rounds approach there can be more of a focus on giving Horwill one last crack at the title. But that shouldn't be their season plan.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Question now is:

Does James retain the Captaincy in his final year ?

Or does RG look now towards the future ?

Lots of new members in the squad so it may be an ideal time to chose a new captain. Either way, I have no problem with Horwill retaining the job (as long as his performances warrant that)

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
It will be interesting to see in light of this announcement, how this year will play out. Will it be business as usual or will it be a big, "Do it for Kev!" year?

Remember in 2010 and 2011 how close the team were? They worked so hard for each other. For whatever 2012 and 2013 did not have the same vibe. They seem to have a bit of it back again. Now that Big Kai is leaving and no doubt there'll be others after the WC, a year of doing it for eachother might just work.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Remember in 2010 and 2011 how close the team were? They worked so hard for each other. For whatever 2012 and 2013 did not have the same vibe. They seem to have a bit of it back again. Now that Big Kai is leaving and no doubt there'll be others after the WC, a year of doing it for eachother might just work.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
That, I would love to see. A better example than when we held out the Tahs on our on line for the best part of a half a game would be hard to find. Those boys would've died for each other rather than miss a tackle. If we get even a bit of that back we'll be going well.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Question now is:

Does James retain the Captaincy in his final year ?

Or does RG look now towards the future ?

Lots of new members in the squad so it may be an ideal time to chose a new captain. Either way, I have no problem with Horwill retaining the job (as long as his performances warrant that)

I think he should retain the captaincy. He said he wants it and there isn't a better option.

In 2016 the options are:
Cooper - will he be here?
Slipper
Gill
Browning - will have to cement a starting role this year to be considered and that is unlikely

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
I'd throw in big Dave McDuling as a captaincy option then too.
Probably have to be getting more time on the paddock this year though. Have to admit the Reds should have a remarkable leadership group - 2 former Wallaby Captains, one former Wallaby VC and the current Wallaby VC, two 50+ test capped locks, an All Black, an Australian and Qld Rugby League legend, still a number of players from the 2011 era, and some of the brightest back row talent in the country. Good enough on paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Time, tide, and eternity wait for no man. Nor does rugby.
James, enjoy your sunset playing years with the Harlequins, you have been a true servant and leader to Queensland rugby.
Make 2015 a year to remember before you leave, both with the Reds and the Wallabies.... the Rugby Super 15 trophy and the Rugby World Cup, now wouldn't that be something grand.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
This may have been discussed on this thread recently, in which case my apologies, but can anyone tell me aside from RG, who are the coaching/training staff, and their roles.
And just how good are they?
I think Nick Stiles and Steve Meehan are still there. Stiles team won the NRC. Meehan did a pretty good job with Country in the NRC considering the injuries they had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Cooper to captain in 2015 in my view. Absolutely love Kev but knowing it is his last year we need to use it as leadership transition into the next period. Could also be a big help in retaining him in Australia not that, that is my reasoning. He seems to reach his best when given responsibility. Link proved that during his tenure at the Reds.

T

TOCC

Will Genia to be next cab off the rank.. Was very close to signing with Bath but Stade Francais beckons, Gonzalo Quesada(thats his real name) the manager of Stade has said he is on the list but a contract isn't yet finalised.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
He seems to reach his best when given responsibility. Link proved that during his tenure at the Reds.

I wonder how Simmons would go, he is firey like kev was before he started and Simmons has alway performed at his best when under pressure, if people start to say he should be dropped he would step up.

Captaincy might keep pressure on him to perform.

That being said, I would have Saia if he signs for a few more years and then Gill

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Anyone going to see the Reds, Saders Feb 6th? I know Ballymore is special etc but it is just a pain to get to from the Southside of Brisbane via public transport. Anyone go this year to the trial, what was the parking like, all the streets around Ballymore now have restricted parking don't they?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Parking is a nightmare. If you want to drive then you're up for a long hilly walk. That's what I did. I think there were shuttle busses running to the main interchanges though from the looks of things.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
So Australia Post delivering Reds member gear on a saturday morning, weekend before christmas..... there's just something a little strange about that.

Still waiting on the shirts though...

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Why is everyone assuming Cooper will stay and Genia will go. Cooper could pick up a lot more than either Genia or Horwill.

Status
Not open for further replies.