• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU fee structure change for 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Did Shields reveal the name of this QRU staff member?

This so far anonymous quote could be a bit convenient.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Ah. So you weren't there?

Terry Shields and his crew have had it against the qru for many years. Very stubborn and never really open to any help offered. Sorry but if it wasn't first hand then I'm not convinced it was said as such.
Did you ever wonder why they had it in for the QRU Reg. Personally I have had some good interactions with the QRU, so I don't want to tar them all with the same brush, but I understand It's not the first time a comment like has been made. It wasn't that long ago that a member of the QRU was reported to have told a CQRU rep that they didn't care about country rugby and it they didn't care if it ceased to exist. Although I wasn't there for that one either, so I guess you can choose to decide that didn't happen either.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Did Shields reveal the name of this QRU staff member?

This so far anonymous quote could be a bit convenient.
Convenient for what? It had nothing to do with Terry. I'm not interested in naming names in this forum. It struck a pretty sour note with me and reflected my experiences working with the community rugby staff and their policies, which is why I mentioned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Convenient for what? It had nothing to do with Terry. I'm not interested in naming names in this forum. It struck a pretty sour note with me and reflected my experiences working with the community rugby staff and their policies, which is why I mentioned it.
No need to name names. It's second hand gossip anyway.

Look it may be true, and in that case there's an impetus to change the QRU (or that part of it that wilfully wants to cull parts of the grass roots) to fix this.

Or it could be a load of rubbish. If the TDRU has had bad blood with the QRU for years, then there'll likely be two sides to the story.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Did you ever wonder why they had it in for the QRU Reg. Personally I have had some good interactions with the QRU, so I don't want to tar them all with the same brush, but I understand It's not the first time a comment like has been made. It wasn't that long ago that a member of the QRU was reported to have told a CQRU rep that they didn't care about country rugby and it they didn't care if it ceased to exist. Although I wasn't there for that one either, so I guess you can choose to decide that didn't happen either.

It's just I worked for the Qru and never heard this type of thinking at all. Plenty of frustration with the TDRU but as much to do with the personalities involved up there.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
It's just I worked for the Qru and never heard this type of thinking at all. Plenty of frustration with the TDRU but as much to do with the personalities involved up there.

The bloke who relayed this comment may be the only friend the QRU has in Townsville.

Trust me, there's just as much frustration with the QRU in Townsville, and there are plenty of valid reasons for it. Do you realise how ridiculous it sounds to hear that a sub-union has "had it in for the QRU for years"? Has the QRU ever asked why there may be difficulties working with a region? I'd be interested to know in what way the TDRU have been "Very stubborn and never really open to any help offered" - has it ever been asked what help is required?

TSR's comment above rings true, the QRU don't have an interest in improving rugby in regional Queensland because they don't engage with regional rugby. And this gets back to the OP - why would regional Queensland want to cough up $1.2M in NPR fees for a plan to "administer, service and develop Rugby at a local level" when that plan is non-exisitent?

I'm not naive enough to think that anything said here is going to change any decision makers mind, the only reason I've joined the forums is because I heard about this plan in October and I think it's going to significantly damage a game that I care about deeply. If I can offer a perspective to anyone who might be in a position to take action in their region, then I've done what I can do.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One of my roles was to work with regions and clubs on all aspects of club administrative aspects. Townsville was the only region who would not return calls and were largely non-communicative nor open to discussions. The only region on the state. And I spoke to clubs up there who weren't getting information we were trying to get out to them because TDRU wanted to control all all communication with their clubs.

I asked numerous times what i could do to assist and never got any productive responses.

Personally there was nothing more I could have done for them but only because they were not prepared to talk with me.

That's not my issue. It's theirs. Good luck to them

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As for your comments about not wanting to improve regional rugby well that's crap too. I was in regional qld every fortnight when I was in that role. And on the phone to DOs and regional administrators weekly. And that was just my role.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
As for your comments about not wanting to improve regional rugby well that's crap too. I was in regional qld every fortnight when I was in that role. And on the phone to DOs and regional administrators weekly. And that was just my role.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not interested in getting into personal slanging matches. You obviously have an opinion that differs from mine relating to the QRU's development program in regional areas - I would argue Townsville's model is successful and sustainable, and there is empirical evidence of that. I'm not aware of any programs implemented or developed by the QRU that have managed the same outcome. If that's wrong, I'm not sure why there's such unanimous dissent against the program that has been proposed by the ARU and QRU - if there were positive outcomes being delivered, I'm sure everyone would be happy to pay.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not interested in getting into personal slanging matches. You obviously have an opinion that differs from mine relating to the QRU's development program in regional areas - I would argue Townsville's model is successful and sustainable, and there is empirical evidence of that. I'm not aware of any programs implemented or developed by the QRU that have managed the same outcome. If that's wrong, I'm not sure why there's such unanimous dissent against the program that has been proposed by the ARU and QRU - if there were positive outcomes being delivered, I'm sure everyone would be happy to pay.

I think this is part of the problem. I'm not sure that the state unions are actually providing the services that the grass roots want in all instances.

I've had a fair bit to do with a number of DO's over the years and they're all spread too thinly. They certainly come and help at training sessions and they help with school gala days, but while these are helpful to some extent, they are short term. Long term requires many more resources to do things like organise and run primary school competitions which run during PSSA sport time on Fridays and have DOs running skills sessions at clubs all season (at the moment they can get to each junior team once in a season if they're lucky).

Money has a bit to do with it, but asking people what they want would be a good start.

The tropical north should be any area that the QRU and ARU should be looking at helping IMO. Great spot for the 10th NRC team.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
All registered junior players are receiving a Merry Christmas e-mail from the ARU today. Suggest that they all reply with a DON"T MAKE ME PAY A LEVY message.;)

The stock reply you get is hilarious.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Seems it wasn't Reg's opinion but his personal experience. That's a lot different in my book.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Seems it wasn't Reg's opinion but his personal experience. That's a lot different in my book.
I'm in regional Queensland every day, not every fortnight. I've been at the footy four days a week, sometimes up to seven days a week, 25 weeks of the year for the past 7 years. I reckon I'm just as qualified to give my account of my personal experience.

Hit23

Frank Row (1)
I play for and am on the committee of a small country rugby club with 2 senior teams. We struggle as it is now. Players travel 200 kms to our nearest opposition and 300 to our furtherest. This is because we love rugby. None of us will ever play for the Reds or Wallabies but we don't care. We commit weekly because we love the game. We rely on "blow ins-old boys-part timers" on a weekly basis. This new system will destroy us. We are teachers, tradies, policemen, physios and local business owners. We are the heart of rugby in this country and we are being told we no longer matter.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Just received a letter from the ARU which reinforces the mandatory nature of the reforms an asks individuals to register online using the RugbyLink system. Less than a week till Xmas. What a lousy, cynical exercise.

Druid

Herbert Moran (7)
Status
Not open for further replies.