• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Presumably he's on a pretty good contract with the ARU. He probably doesn't get much or anything in the way of third party deals though to bump it up.

I think people underestimate the contribution that a different life experience and huge reduction of travel has on the decision when players go overseas. It's even more of a drawcard for people with young kids (like Kepu).

When I talk about more rest for him, I'm talking about fewer trips...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When I talk about more rest for him, I'm talking about fewer trips.

How is that a realistic option though? The players don't want to sit out of tours and because they're being rested.

A reasonable chunk of his salary would be made up from match payments. He doesn't get that if he sits out.

It would be great to warehouse heaps of players in Australia but we just don't have the money for it.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
There needs to be an evening up on the pays. Don't pay Folau ridiculous money - he's good but not THAT good. KB (Kurtley Beale), QC (Quade Cooper) and Genia are on huge money ATM. Share some of that with the bloody forwards or we will see more blokes (and younger ones at that) in good/great career form look overseas for the $$$$.

Players like Hooper Slipper, Simmons deserve more $$$$$. They are all very experienced and probably with Moore should be the higher paid players.

The alternative is that blokes like that piss off overseas, players not as good get promoted and we all continue to whinge about getting flogged at set piece and then the backs can't do their job - score tries.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
There needs to be an evening up on the pays. Don't pay Folau ridiculous money - he's good but not THAT good. KB (Kurtley Beale), QC (Quade Cooper) and Genia are on huge money ATM. Share some of that with the bloody forwards or we will see more blokes (and younger ones at that) in good/great career form look overseas for the $$$$.

Players like Hooper Slipper, Simmons deserve more $$$$$. They are all very experienced and probably with Moore should be the higher paid players.

The alternative is that blokes like that piss off overseas, players not as good get promoted and we all continue to whinge about getting flogged at set piece and then the backs can't do their job - score tries.
the problem is the ARU seems to think that marketing attraction of a player is what is important, not what they mean to the team.

Israel gets a lot of publicity but Australia unfortunately places more value on backs and scoring tries that the forwards who allow the backs to get the ball.

Our tighthead props and their backups should be the highest paid players

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)

See Slipper and Simmons I agree with because the step down to the next best in their position is fairly significant. Hooper I don't because we have a lot of openside flankers. The step down from Hooper to Hodgson or Gill or a fit Pocock is fairly small. The step down from Kepu is a crevasse. We are probably less likely to lose games from no Hooper than to lose games from no Slipper or no Kepu.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
How is that a realistic option though? The players don't want to sit out of tours and because they're being rested.

A reasonable chunk of his salary would be made up from match payments. He doesn't get that if he sits out.

It would be great to warehouse heaps of players in Australia but we just don't have the money for it.

The same method used by the NZRU for their top players. Sabbatical for Super Rugby games, Richie McCaw and Conrad Smith were benefited recently. Since they can't compete against European wages, is a good alternative.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Presumably he's on a pretty good contract with the ARU. He probably doesn't get much or anything in the way of third party deals though to bump it up.

I think people underestimate the contribution that a different life experience and huge reduction of travel has on the decision when players go overseas. It's even more of a drawcard for people with young kids (like Kepu).

BH, I wish more of our contributors had expressed these sentiments when Ben Mowen decided to go to France for precisely the reasons you state. I know he was the Wallaby captain but at the time of his decision most posters thought he wouldn't make the Wallabies this year, and Kepu unfortunately (for us) is even more valuable as our nearest world standard THP.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
BH, I wish more of our contributors had expressed these sentiments when Ben Mowen decided to go to France for precisely the reasons you state. I know he was the Wallaby captain but at the time of his decision most posters thought he wouldn't make the Wallabies this year, and Kepu unfortunately (for us) is even more valuable as our nearest world standard THP.

Plenty did, but what difference would it have made? Do you think the ARU is actually listening to the public - there's about 3 threads running fairly hot suggesting otherwise.
Why do we all get the feeling that the tight forwards don't get the same top ups as the princesses?
Mowen wasn't even offered a top up! Yet Hooper is/will be when we have 300 #7s to choose form and our No 8 plan (which apparently meant we didn't need Mowen) was Mr Palu who has never played more than about 75% of any season - but is on a top up, I'll bet.
FTFY.

I think Australia's current scrum problems are more to do with the numbers 4 - 8 than 1 - 3.

I think our front row issues really start at about #16 (I include Skelton)

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Plenty did, but what difference would it have made? Do you think the ARU is actually listening to the public - there's about 3 threads running fairly hot suggesting otherwise.
Why do we all get the feeling that the tight forwards don't get the same top ups as the princesses?
Mowen wasn't even offered a top up! Yet Hooper is/will be when we have 300 #7s to choose form and our No 8 plan (which apparently meant we didn't need Mowen) was Mr Palu who has never played more than about 75% of any season - but is on a top up, I'll bet.

Where I can see the list of Wallaby salaries?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
How do you know what they're each on?

When QC (Quade Cooper) signed a few years ago it was rumoured that he negotiated the deal himself.

When asked how much he wanted, he didn't put forward a figure. He merely said:

$1 more than Giteau. The ARU agreed and the deal was sealed.

Whilst I don't KNOW exact figures a few years ago the big princesses were commanding about $800,000. Times have now changed

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Saracens have called for the salary cap to be scrapped:

In a week where Dan Carter became the first £1 million player, Griffiths fears the Premiership clubs will be left behind unless they are given freedom to spend up to their own individual limit. Griffiths says seven Premiership teams are behind the motion to scrap the salary cap and the issue will be discussed on February 4 at the next PRL shareholder meeting.
"The combination of England hosting the Rugby World Cup in 2015 and Sevens featuring in the 2016 Olympic Games creates a historic but fleeting platform for rugby union to grow dramatically," Griffiths said. "We must release the handbrake and step on the accelerator.Saracens CEO Ed Griffiths addresses the media, January 21, 2013Ed Griffiths wants an end to the salary cap© Getty ImagesEnlarge

"The clubs need to encourage investment, to provide the spectacle and quality deserved by our broadcast partner, BT Sport, and title sponsor, Aviva. It would be a pity if the world's top players light up the World Cup on English soil, and then leave to play club rugby in France. If the salary cap is left to forbid the required investment, it will kill any hope of growth."
Griffiths says English clubs must be allowed to spend at the same level as their Irish and French counterparts. "English clubs must compete in the European Champions Cup against Irish and French clubs spending two or three times as much on players. Imagine the likes of Arsenal and Manchester City being asked to compete with Barcelona, FC Bayern and Real Madrid under those circumstances. It would never happen, but it happens in rugby. Strong legal opinion suggests the salary cap, as applied, breaches European competition laws.
"We understand some clubs fear the removal of the salary cap will cause wage inflation yet, in reality, salaries are already being driven by the French clubs. We can either sit back and become a second rate 'lowest common denominator' league, or we can leap forward."
Griffiths also feels England players must be on a salary that reflects their true value. He added: "Lastly, we must be fair to England international players, who are encouraged to play club rugby in England to be eligible for the national team. Their salaries should be determined by the free market, nothing less. It is simply unfair, inequitable and possibly illegal for their pay to be restrained by the artificial mechanism of an outdated salary cap.
"Time moves on. Situations change. The game needs to evolve. In the interests of English rugby, in the interests of building the best league in the world, in the interests of the sponsors and broadcasters, in the interests of the players… it is time to #scrapthecap."

www.espnscrum.com/premiership-2014-15/rugby/story/251293.html#uQPAHQwIJ4g1dBbJ.99

If this happens, we're finished.

Even ABs would have problems, despite their greater depth

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The writing has been on the wall for a long time. The NH plutocracy want to own the game, lock, stock, and barrel.

The next step, an SH breakaway hybrid code.

You read it here first, I reckon it will happen this decade.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If there's going to be a breakaway in the coming years it's most likely to be the English and French clubs breaking away from their national unions. The power of the unions in the NH was broken earlier this year and it seems hardly anyone in the SH noticed the biggest change in rugby since professionalism.