• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU fee structure change for 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hypothetically, if NSWRU refused to sign up, what would the contribution be for each player to make up the $1.1 million? Probably about the same, but it might be fun to see what happens.

As much of the ARU's income is generated from Sydney, the ARU might find they're not as smart as they think they are.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Hypothetically, if NSWRU refused to sign up, what would the contribution be for each player to make up the $1.1 million? Probably about the same, but it might be fun to see what happens.
If the NSWRU muscled up, I would be more than happy to donate into a fund to replace the ARU grant.
I would much prefer them to risk going down in a blaze of glory,than die a death of a thousand cuts.

Druid

Herbert Moran (7)
I would hope that the ARU does not really want to withdraw the funding of the development officers and it is just a threat however what I find interesting is the following. If the ARU did withdraw the funding and NSWRU worked out a way to be completely self funding e.g. insurance, rep programs, development etc. then the amount of influence the ARU has over 50% of the playing population essentially goes down to zero. Not sure if that is what is desirable but one path that we could be heading down. I would hope that the ARU are smart enough to know that the big stick approach is not working and that just maybe a collaborative approach might be a better approach..

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
If the NSWRU muscled up, I would be more than happy to donate into a fund to replace the ARU grant.
I would much prefer them to risk going down in a blaze of glory,than die a death of a thousand cuts.
I'd be happy to donate to the ARU if they took a positive attitude to engaging the people they're currently alienating.

I love the game. I want it to be great. These poor buggers just need some people who can get the job done and bring everyone along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If they had a positive attitude towards engaging people,you wouldn't need to donate funds.

It's like they have been to a Joe Hockey seminar about lifters and leaners.

The problem I have with the ARU,is I don't consider the grass roots as leaners if they are not self sufficient.
I consider them an investment in the future.
They should do some fucking surveys at Test matches,and with Foxtel subscribers.
99.99% never played the game at the highest standard.
They are people who played the game for the love of it.The very people they are in the process of taxing out of the game.
Most of the parents at the Test matches played Rugby throughout their School years,and probably a few years after that.
If 1/3 or a 1/4 of today's 10yo's stop playing in the next year or two, either because of the costs or because their teams folded due to these costs.
Are they still going to love the game enough to spend $500 to take their kids when the time comes?

I wonder if the ARU would be doing this if this Latter guy & Pulver had 50% of their KPI's being an increase in participation levels?

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
The media on this keeps flowing. It can't be good to have this sort of negative stuff in papers. And the ARU response to NSWRU threatening to cut off development funding isn't a good look. Maybe the ARU media person is on holidays, like a lot of club committees would like to be.

Reactions: TSR

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I have had some recent dealings with them and I have been extremely impressed: they seem to know where they are trying to get to.

They're world's best practice if you compare them to the ARU.

I'm told that NFJ is providing excellent direction and leadership, in stark contrast to..........;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Interesting to note that Mr Larrett's title is:
General Manager rugby Participation - Andrew Larratt

But his role description seems to involve:
Larratt is the final appointment in Pulver's executive, following an internal financial and organisational review that delivered a revised organisational structure focused on investment in the certain key strategic areas.

This include:
* Expanded participation in the game with a focus on Sevens and the women's game;
* Accelerated development of elite talent to support greater success in Super Rugby, the Wallabies and our national Sevens teams;
* Re-energised Premier rugby competitions; and
* Fan Engagement Strategy to promote growth in the game.

The ARU's revised organisational structure focuses investment on these key initiatives while also driving productivity improvement to support a sustainable financial model for the game.

http://www.rugby365.com/article/55570-aru-ropes-in-cricket-boss

(My bold, colour and underline)
Nothing there about the grassroots at all, which suggests that the ARU doesn't really consider the grassroots as "participants" which is interesting.

As ILTW said the productivity bit is straight from the Abbott/Hockey lifters and leaners playbook - which says to me that the ARU considers anyone who doesn't make a profit to be a leaner and therefore expendable

I'm not quite sure where they think that their fans are going to come from if the alleged leaners of community rugby play another sport as kids.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Even the usual Pulver supporters and ARU sympathisers on these threads have stayed quiet. No criticism mind you, but they haven't been out there defending the NPF and those who want to implement it with the usual gusto.

No criticism from me on that score, however I think that the defenders of the Pulveriser and the ARU maybe don't have the connection to the grass roots that a lot of posters on here do or have had.
I think the best insight has come from the AFL view it: if they play they'll pay. The ARU seem dyslexic and have read this as if they pay they'll play.
And on the subject of the AFL - Im up in Byron for the first time in a few years and notice on the way into town a huge AFL logo on the side of a building and a laser levelled aussie rules ground at the Regional Sporting complex. We're losing a war we don't even know we're in.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
And on the subject of the AFL - Im up in Byron for the first time in a few years and notice on the way into town a huge AFL logo on the side of a building and a laser levelled aussie rules ground at the Regional Sporting complex. We're losing a war we don't even know we're in.
AFL made $24M last year from AusKick. It is a behemoth. We pick up players from AFL often in the younger junior grades because it's a sport that doesn't suit them. There will always be a place for everyone in rugby, but it's hard hen you give away so much ground at the grassroots. No parent whinges about the cost of having their 6yo in an AusKick program for 8 weeks, but this money could almost cover the ARUs contribution to the Super Rugby franchises. Value for money, innovative programs, positive engagement and programs at club, coach and volunteer level are the ways to ensure the future success of the sport. Unfortunately, fees and changes without bringing along the punters is the best this mob can come up with...

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No criticism from me on that score, however I think that the defenders of the Pulveriser and the ARU maybe don't have the connection to the grass roots that a lot of posters on here do or have had.
I think the best insight has come from the AFL view it: if they play they'll pay. The ARU seem dyslexic and have read this as if they pay they'll play.

I fear that it will take the expansion of AFL into the Sydney GPS schools before the penny drops at the ARU. This process has already begun - Shore had a Year 7 AFL team this year, that's 20 plus boys not playing rugby.

Aa BH tells us, when the AFL charge for something there is a clear explanation of what you're paying and what you're going to get for it. And you get what you pay for. A mate of mine comes from a fanatical league family and his young bloke has been in the Swans development programme and academy since Year 7. He can't speak highly enough of how well the AFL look after the grass roots.

Status
Not open for further replies.