• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Quotes of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Benchmark was set by former dual international Rex "The Moose" Mossop in the mid seventies ...
"If there's one thing I can't stand , it's having male genitalia shoved down my throat!" (In response to a nudists beach near his home) ...The channel seven switchboard went into overload .

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Food for thought.

Scotland v Tonga

John Beattie (about scrums):

You'll find teams now who are going forward who will deliberately collapse a scrum to get the penalty.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Wales v Springboks

Wales tries a lineout five metres out from the Bok line and put everybody in:

Eddie Butler:
Here we go: 15-man lineout. Alex Cuthbert the six foot-six winger is coming across the field. All in !!

Jiffy Davies:
I hope they win it.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Montpellier v Bath - ERCC

The local crowd was not happy with referee Ian Davies on Friday night as their team was getting toweled by visitors Bath in the mud.

Montpellier was down 0-30 and hadn't scored a point until they went over for a try in the 68th minute after winning a five-metre lineout.

Also Bath player Stuart Hooper got carded from the lineout, and after the replay the English commentators discussed the merits of the sin binning.

Austin Healey: It's not a yellow card; but it has enabled the referee to get out of this stadium alive after the game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Ulster v Scarlets ERCC

There is a scrum just before half-time and referee Luke Pearce free kicks Ulster. He says:

Only front row can hook the ball, not the flanker.
A commentator laughs: You learn something new every day; so the front row are the only ones who can hook it back?

It was Brian O'Driscoll.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
When asked by Shane Warne if he was comfortable under the catch hit by Kohli, Mitchell Marsh (who did everything wrong, but nevertheless took the catch) said:

I'd be lying if I said I was - I pretty much shat myself.

This is the rugby quotes thread?

Excuuuuuuse me - carry on.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
There were a couple of rugby quotes relating to horse racing in recent weeks:

Toulon v Clermont

The commentators were discussing the absence of the injured Matt Giteau and the talk about rushing him back into the Toulon team.

But it was a long season and Morgan Turinui said:
You don't win the Melbourne Cup six months out. He's a staying horse, and he'll come back to form after Christmas when it starts getting warmer … he'll be there when they need him.

Women's Sevens: NZ v Australia - Dubai

Willie Lose thought that NZ and Aus each had a fast runner in their team:

We know that here in Dubai they have the Emirates Million Dollar horse race. I'll tell you what … Woodman and Tonegato wouldn't look out of place at the starting line: two great fillies who have got plenty of pace.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Women's Sevens: NZ v Australia - Dubai

Willie Lose thought that NZ and Aus each had a fast runner in their teams:

We know that here in Dubai they have the Emirates Million Dollar horse race. I'll tell you what … Woodman and Tonegato wouldn't look out of place at the starting line: two great fillies who have got plenty of pace.

Willie Lose has one of those great voices that when you read a written quote of his you read it out in your mind in his voice.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Leinster v Harlequins ERCC

Quins' fullback Mike Brown fielded a ball kicked through by Luke Fitzgerald. He turned around and cleared the ball but he had placed a foot in touch beforehand.

The crowd roared.

Nick Mullins:

40,000 Leinster fans spotted the heels of Mike Brown going into touch and just made sure the referee heard about it as well.

Brian O'Driscoll (ex-Leinster captain):

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Toulon v. Leicester Round 4 ERCC

Leicester loose head prop Marcos Ayerza takes out Toulon scrummie Sébastien Tillous-Borde from a ruck before the ball is picked up. He is pinged.

Ex-Leicester scrumhalf Austin Healey:

I remember the good old days when you used to be able to dummy from the breakdown … and keep the forwards guessing.
Now all they do is hit you—where's the fun in that?
Later the commentators discussed referee George Clancy letting play go on for Leicester when he apparently blocked Chris Masoe making a tackle for Toulon.

Austin Healey:
A great blocking line from George Clancy…
Andrew Cotter:
Did you ever run to the referee?

Austin Healey:
Always run to the referee; always make him make a tackle.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Toulouse v Montpelier. Dec 20

Montpelier set up a maul 10 metres from the Toulouse try line The hooker Charles Geli has the ball at the back.

Commentator: Geli at the back.

Montpelier drive through the Toulouse pack splintering them in every direction.

Commentator: No sign of any wobbles yet. Now let see what they can do.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^
Good spotting Sully - I don't think that commentator Robbie Nock made the funny remark deliberately; nor realised he had done so afterwards.

Munster v Leinster

Co-commentator John Beattie was in good form on Boxing Day:

The forwards of both sides were willing:
They're like two packs of underfed dogs.

He was critical of players cleaning out opponents beyond the ruck:
Rucking has become like taking the garbage out.

He also had a Mexted moment:
Look at them coming out of each other's backsides.
(You have to applaud safe sex on the field.)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Harlequins v. Northampton - Boxing Day

Scrummie Danny Care does a good job of picking up the ball from a mangled Harlequins' scrum and clears his line nicely.

Commentator Austin Healey, ex-England and Lions scrumhalf:

People at home don't understand what it's like when you're trying to pick the ball up, when everybody in front of you is trying to walk over your head.

Sounds hard to do when he puts it like that.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Northampton v Racing Metro - ERCC

A scrum doesn't work for referee Nigel Owens so the main commentator brings in the scrum expert to earn his pay.

Alastair Eykyn
What's going on here Flats?

David Flatman
All sorts of stuff in there Ali. I don't know, they don't know, Nige doesn't know; so just reset to get going forward.

What hope do we punters have?

Talking about the visiting team in the above match, during another game:

Mark Robson
Racing Metro, scoring 32 points at Franklins Gardens … that wasn't a victory, that was a contract killing.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^

The Racing Metro coach must fancy Szarzweski too.

He's 32 years old and he's just been signed for another 5 years.

No comment - only quotes?

I shouldn't have written that ……

and I felt sorry, and I felt bad about what happened.​
Monica Lewinsky​

Status
Not open for further replies.