• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer of 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Well played with the ball and in the field this morning, we really got back into the game. I agree about MJ, there's something not right about him at the moment. The test is really balanced on a knife edge right now. If these two can kick on and build a reasonable partnership we're right in this. On the other hand if we're about six or seven down at lunch and a hundred behind we're in real trouble. A great time for Mitch M to step up I think.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Not a fan of playing Starc and Johnson in the same XI. Harris should be ready to come back next test. If not, where are guys like Pattinson & Cummins at?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Our last four wickets have put on more runs than our first six.

Jeez our tail wags well and often!

Starc could save his spot through his batting.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Wow - Remarkable job by the tail.

Really looked like we had all the momentum heading into the second innings but the kookaburra has been acting weird of late.

Hopefully conditions are more favourable for the bowlers tomorrow and we can put them under the pump early. Vijay was a very important dismissal. Provided we can dismiss them for under 350 I reckon we can chase it down in half a day with the firepower we have at the top of the order.

Agree with above posters regarding Johnson, his rhythm seems off and rarely threatening the batsmen, even with the short stuff. If this is how ineffective he is bowling at the Gabba, you'd have to worry about his impact at the SCG and MCG which are traditionally slower pitches with less varied bounce. Then again, he's the world's best bowler for a reason, I'd put money on him to play a big role in the remaining tests.

Not sure if Starc's knock with the bat will save his spot without a few more wickets tomorrow. We already have enough passengers (Watson, Haddin, Rogers, S.Marsh) and IMO there isn't room for two left arm quicks in a test XI if neither are swinging the ball.

Proteas dominating Windies as most expected, should be a resounding victory without even needing a second innings. Kiwi's are also making Pakistan look second rate in the ODI's, they might pose a bigger threat than we thought at the CWC.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Had a chat with our resident Scottish cricket expert yesterday, he reckons Hazlewood's got the ability to emulate Glenn McGrath with his naggingly accurate deliveries attacking off stump. We discussed the outstanding debuts from Cummins and Pattinson these last three years, I opined we desperately need one, or two, of these young tyros to go on and stake out a long career in the baggy green. It's a bit like a golfer who shoots a round of 65: the big question is can he do it again and again?

Well played Mitch Johnson, now we want you to be as successful with the ball. And well played Starc, Lyon and Hazlewood. What odds could we've got on a first innings lead when we were 4/208?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Joe Burns added to the squad for the Boxing Day test. M Marsh ruled out. With 6 bowlers in the 13 named it looks like he will play.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes. Burns will be batting 6. Congratulations to him. I didn't expect to debut now but I certainly had him pegged for the Baggy Green in the next couple of years.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yes. Burns will be batting 6. Congratulations to him. I didn't expect to debut now but I certainly had him pegged for the Baggy Green in the next couple of years.

Could be a good pick but personally, I'd have liked to see Nic Maddinson get a go. Longer term, whomever comes in should probably push Watson down to No 6 with Shaun Marsh making way for brother Mitch.

Has the full squad been named? Is Warner in or out? If out, I'd like to see Finch come in but it will probably be Cowan. Not sure if he is consistently a test match player.

An attack of Johnson, Harris and Hazlewood is looking good for the Melbourne test.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Excellent choice. Mitch M's injury is probably the only thing that saved Watson from the axe. Jesus that bloke annoys me with the bat. All that ability for very little result.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I read the batting order isn't finalised, must be tempting to bat Burns at 3 and move Watson. If Watson fails again they can make it a straight swap of Watson-Marsh in the final test.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Cricket Aus deserve so much credit for the BBL. They didn't get it right the first season of T20, but have gone from strength to strength each year.

Admittedly a 6 week season is easy to get a bit of hype up for and try a few things, but the fun of seeing the old dogs, internationals and young guns is a joy to behold. The tone of the commentary, the features like on field mic's, bringing interesting tweets into the conversation all add so much value to the viewing experience.

Any of the CA gurus want to head down to St Leonard's and offer some ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.