• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer of 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Loved it. It will be one of Australian cricket's enduring mysteries as to why Watson played as many tests as he did. Conceptually he's fantastic, but the reality is unfortunately a little different.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think if he'd tried to be a Bowling all-rounder and stayed down the order he would have been better off. Assuming bid body BSD held up. Which it didn't.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Boxing Day test tomorrow. I'm hoping the Indians can bat well in both innings to force the game into 5 enthralling days. They've let themselves down badly in the first two tests with their 2nd innings effort.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
They've let themselves down badly in the first two tests with their 2nd innings effort.

Or maybe the Aussie bowlers are hitting their straps after a less than glorious tour of the UAE(?). Think this will be our strongest attack of the three tests so far. Maybe only better atm if Pattinson was in instead of Hazelwood, but I've got the highest regard for Josh. Will be around the Aussie team for a very long time I think.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Plenty of adds on Twitter for the Scorchers next game. Good to see Cricket WA working in the new advertising mediums.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Here's hoping Burns gets a go at 3 and scores a ton on debut and we never see Watson at the top of the order again.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Announcer at the G for the Boxing Day Test, James Sherry:

"Please join me in welcoming the teams to the arena: India lead by Captain MS Dhoni, Australia lead by Captain Michael Clark ... ... ... "

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Watson going ok and needs to push on here, been given a life and must make the most of it. A ton will secure his spot for the next two years until he makes another;)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unfortunately yes, but to be fair he is not a number 3 batsman.

It's been a problem for Australian cricket for decades - the exception being Ricky Ponting (I don't count Greg Chappell who was mainly a no. 4).

The introduction of 20/20 cricket (and earlier OD cricket) has seen some improvement in batting in Aussie teams - especially the ability to score quickly and put pressure in the bowlers, and the bowlers batting better - but it hasn't helped to develop good Aussie openers and no. 3s for test matches.

They seem to have deteriorated since the shorter versions of the sport have taken hold.

OK, Hayden was an exceptional opener in test matches, and so is Warner now, but you know what I mean.

But no. 3 - the situation is worse than the THP and lock problem is for the Wallabies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Absolutely, Lee, he's not even in the same street as a proper test number three. After Ponting we've really struggled to find a replacement in that most pivotal position in the batting order. We've had some good 'uns over the years, but the well is a little dry right now.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Absolutely, Lee, he's not even in the same street as a proper test number three. After Ponting we've really struggled to find a replacement in that most pivotal position in the batting order. We've had some good 'uns over the years, but the well is a little dry right now.

Hoping Nic Maddinson will step up in the near future.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Excellent choice. Mitch M's injury is probably the only thing that saved Watson from the axe. Jesus that bloke annoys me with the bat. All that ability for very little result.

That's the thing - for me Watson has limited ability. That coupled with a lack of concentration means he will never be a consistently good test batsmen.

Watson relies on the mechanics of his technique, not a bad thing but compare that to the lesser techniques of Warner and (previously) Smith. These blokes see the ball very early and use their bat against it effectively meaning when they are in they are very in. Watson on the other hand doesn't see the ball as early and very rarely looks 'in' during a test match.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I can't see any reason that Smith wouldn't be able to move up if required.

Maddison and Burns are also promising. M. Marsh will only get better as a batsman - you can see his talent in how quickly he picks up the length of the ball.

Might end up something like the following in the next year:

Warner
Burns
Smith
Maddison
Clark ?
Marsh

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'm Australian to my back teeth, and it's marvellous to see the new captain lead his team to a series victory against the Indians. BUT, the spurts of good play from Rogers, Watson and Haddin aren't doing anything to solve our long-term problems in each of their positions. However, I will stick up for Haddin; call me old-fashioned but I thought the primary role of a keeper was to take catches and stop byes. Haddin had a magnificent test in Brisbane where he equalled the Oz keeper catching record, not good enough for the chatterati who're calling for his dumping because he didn't score enough runs! Que?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I agree Lindo. But it's hard to judge him on his Keeping when there are so many batsman/keepers around.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
[quote="Lindommer, post: 702512, member: 1539] However, I will stick up for Haddin; call me old-fashioned but I thought the primary role of a keeper was to take catches and stop byes. Haddin had a magnificent test in Brisbane where he equalled the Oz keeper catching record, not good enough for the chatterati who're calling for his dumping because he didn't score enough runs! Que?[/quote]
I don't think he should be disposed of just yet, but I saw him stuff up two runouts at the gabba as well as those regulation chances.

This mornings 50 showed why he's in the team - for his batting (as well as leadership). Hes only a good enough keeper

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Haddin is still the best keeper in Australia IMHO. Any runs we get from him are a bonus but obviously I'd like to see him making more at the moment. This morning was a good start though.

In terms of three, I could see Burns making the step up if he makes some runs where he's batting currently (like Punter did). We need to invest in a long term option and if Joe can take this opportunity would could have him, Smith and Clarke (if he makes it back) form a pretty good nucleus over the next couple of years. After that I'd like to see blokes like Maddinson, Lynn and Ferguson kick on and demand a spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.