• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
TT, I had no idea that Easts have played Brothers, more than any other team in Grand Finals. I swear Souths and Easts played in at least 3 together. The more important fact is that Easts only have a 33% (1/3) success rate against Brothers in GF's.

A 33% success rate!!! I'll round it up to 34% just for you, TT.

T

Tigers Tale

TT, I had no idea that Easts have played Brothers, more than any other team in Grand Finals. I swear Souths and Easts played in at least 3 together. The more important fact is that Easts only have a 33% (1/3) success rate against Brothers in GF's.

A 33% success rate!!! I'll round it up to 34% just for you, TT.

You are 100% correct Filth but I think 1971 & 1984 Easts over achieved by making the GF.

Easts have played in the following GFs:
1971 v Bros loss;
1984 v Bros loss;
1995 v Souths loss;
1997 v Souths win;
1999 v Wests win;
2002 v Canberra loss;
2008 v Bros win;
2013 v GPS win.

Nothing like the numbers of GFs played by Bros or Uni.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Its not a bad effort though, TT.

Did you go to the 1997 win? I heard Bottemley went off for a week after the game. I also heard similar events occurred the year before at Yoku Rd after GPS ended Souths reign of five straight premierships.

2009 for Brothers certainly was a very long time coming. We had lost a few before hand by the slimmest of margins, but that's rugby.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth it does tend to be cyclical.

1997 was memorable but so too was 1999 when the Wests Bulldog was brought back to Bottomley Park after the GF win and held for ransom.

2008 was special because it was over Brothers and 2013 was special with a number of Easts Juniors and superstars of the future in Butler, Placid, Gunn, etc in the team.

Let's hope there is another for the Tigers in the not too distant future, but I would like to see Norths, Wests, Bond experiencing some finals football in the near future also.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sounds like the new coach down at GPS has really initiated a culture change in the way trainings etc are being conducted. Early reports are that some players are finding it very different after playing under Arnold for a number of years. Nothing really positive or negative to be said but definitely sounds like 2015 could be a bit different down at Yoku.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sounds like the new coach down at GPS has really initiated a culture change in the way trainings etc are being conducted. Early reports are that some players are finding it very different after playing under Arnold for a number of years. Nothing really positive or negative to be said but definitely sounds like 2015 could be a bit different down at Yoku.

Different Big Dog?.....In what way?......I'm very interested to hear your thoughts.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
After talking to a few of the players it sounds like they had grown accustomed to Shane (and Foggs) coaching styles and really knew them on a personal level. Whether or not this impacted on selections, how they were managed etc is something only the players would know.

Dammers seems to have come in with an open slather and come down hard during pre-season. I've heard he is running a tight ship, making sure players are arriving on time and pushing them hard. Thats not to say Arnold wasn't, clearly he is a good coach who got the results but it sounds like the coaching styles are different. I think some of the guys who found it 'easy' to train/play under the old regime are finding it hard to make the transition.

Part of it is probably also that Shane didn't come from a fully professional coaching background so maybe his expectations during trainings were different. Dammers has coached across the world in some great setups so would have some different ideas as to what works. Like I said in my original post though, thats not a bad thing and I think its going to work out very well for the club.

T

Tigers Tale

And it's confirmed. Thor is off to Crosby Road.

http://bit.ly/1z2aBst

Looks like Santa came early to Crosby!

Well done Filth you deserve a break when it comes to out of town reps.

Now I suppose if the Thor doesn't fulfil his potential the Reds have a scapegoat but I do hope he comes on quickly at the Filth so that he's in the Reds match day 23 sooner rather than later.

T

Tigers Tale

Is there any indication which clubs Hunt & Thompson will align themselves to?

With Thor & JOC (James O'Connor) at Crosby maybe Filth might shut up about the no-Filth Reds.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth this is impressive particularly his speed off the mark for the try v Easts!! He was just offside in that one.

Greene's progress to the next level is more about what he does without the ball but he's not alone Jake McIntyre is not the world's best defender either.

Tommy B

Bob McCowan (2)
The only reason players put stuff like that out on youtube is to get picked up. He has obviously dropped a few spots in the pecking order in QRU. If you go buy the NRC, he is now behind Cooper, McIntyre, Brandon, Tuttle, and now the Reds have signed another young flyhalf.

I hate to say it Filth, but I think he may be trying to move on. Luckliy we have young Pat James to step up when needed, and Clynton Knox plays 10 pretty well.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Brothers: where talent goes to die.

Despite being an insanely good club and having some great success as a club, individually star players go to brothers and are never seen again. Not starting anything, but wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to why this happens?

I remember when Zane Hilton was coaching he used to blowup about Ted Postal being the only pro they had coming back while other clubs (eg Sunnybank, Souths etc) were getting stars back 3-4 weeks before finals.

McKibbon was probably the last player "developed" at Brothers. Harvey had potential, but not the attitude and Shipperly was a star and stayed one.

When you think about the names on the Brothers team sheets year in year out over the last 10 years, its a real surprise.

Last 10 years filth players who played at provincial level, not a single Super rugby starting player (though Mckibbin was good enough if Phipps not there):

Cordingley*
Chambers*
Postal *
Mailata
Daruda
Shaw x2
McKibbin
Rapana*
Murphy

*played professionally before ever playing at Brothers.

Compare that to Norths:
Houston*
Genia*
Connor
Loane
Mogg
Auelua
Hewatt
+ Numerous Internationals at Tier 2 level

For the recruitment and talent into these two clubs, there certainly seems to be something amiss.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
With Matty Lucas back in town and McIntyre getting to play a whole season at club level, sunnybank with have a pretty potient 9/10 combo.
Can any other club match that?
Brothers with Campbell/green maybe.
I would back gale/Thompson(if goes around again)/Dalgleish to compete.
Tuttle/Duncan p when they are not off with Aussie 20's.
Who have Souths got in that area this year?

T

TOCC

Bond University have built new change rooms and a new training pitch for 2015, the uni has invested a hell of a lot of money into rugby for 2015.. Gary Nucifora as director of rugby, Sean hedger as coach, new training facilities, sponsor of QLD country and I believe also sponsors of the Wallabies.

How is the bond university investment been perceived on the Gold Coast, do the breakers connect with the wider rugby union community?

T

Tigers Tale

With Matty Lucas back in town and McIntyre getting to play a whole season at club level, sunnybank with have a pretty potient 9/10 combo.
Can any other club match that?
Brothers with Campbell/green maybe.
I would back gale/Thompson(if goes around again)/Dalgleish to compete.
Tuttle/Duncan p when they are not off with Aussie 20's.
Who have Souths got in that area this year?

Easts have Mullins (played 9, 10 & 12 for Bne NRC) and Brandon (Qld Country NRC #10). With Adam Deck (former Aust Sch Boys #9) as back up. Not only is Deck a talented #9 but he is also an accomplished goal kicker.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
TOCC - looks like Bond have invested a lot into their rugby program. If the results become apparent (I'm guessing will probably take 2-3 years before we can judge on that) do you think other Brisbane based university's may start building rugby programs? QUT and Griffith are probably the only two who could do it. Obviously UQ is already established.

It could change the landscape of Premier Rugby fairly quickly.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
TOCC - looks like Bond have invested a lot into their rugby program. If the results become apparent (I'm guessing will probably take 2-3 years before we can judge on that) do you think other Brisbane based university's may start building rugby programs? QUT and Griffith are probably the only two who could do it. Obviously UQ is already established.

It could change the landscape of Premier Rugby fairly quickly.
QUT had an association with Norths a few years ago but that's gone now. I'd say its pretty unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.