• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not sure if this is unusual but it's possible for 10 players to make individual milestones this year.

-McCutcheon needs 18 games to make 50 Super Rugby caps
-Hooper needs 18 games to make 50 Waratahs caps
-Tilse 15 games to 50 Super Rugby,
Ryan 6, and Foley 3
-AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is 4 games from 50 Waratahs caps
- Chapman is 15 from becoming a Super rugby centurion.
- Hoiles is 6 games 50 Waratahs caps and 8 from a century of Super Rugby
- Beale is 1 game from 100 caps plus another 14 from 100 waratahs caps
- Ben Robinson is 12 games from over taking Phil Waugh as the most capped Waratah

Plus Folau "only" needs 9 tries to surpass Tiquiri as the Waratahs highest try scorer.

I just thought this was telling of the experience in the squad and their commitment to the Tahs. Normaly it's only a couple each year who reach a mile stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots and lots of guys make 50 games

Obviously a lot less make 100.

The fantastic achievement in the above is Ben Robinson's. He still has a season or 2 in him and there is only ONE highest capped player (until the next one). Hopefully he plays 15 games this year.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Robinson is an interesting one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he missed both of the last 2 World Cups through injury?? Certainly the last one and he was our best prop at that stage.

As I understand it (working purely off the opinions of others that I have read) his main problems seems to be he is a less than committed trainer (I would be interested as to how he is travelling at training Lee) and his work rate is considered sub par. Yet some of his contributions around the field can be absolutely first class. You would think that he might be motivated to pull out all stops this year to make sure he gets a crack at the World Cup.

If Sio can bounce back strongly from injury we could actually have 3 credible world class loose head options for the Wallabies this year.

Of course, that all means crap in the scrums if Kepu gets injured and/or we can't improve the output of our back 5.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

If he means he's carrying a few extra kilo's all I can say is "poor bastard". Look what the trainers did to Skeletor.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There's no way Tilse will play 15 games this year.

I agree. He's been around the traps for a long time (9th year at the Tahs?), and only been used really as a foil to fire up Fat Cat or bully people at Shute Shield. Hard worker no doubt, but he's not making any massive statements for a rugby career.

In a land short of quality props, a guy who can barely hang around on the bench for 9 years isn't doing our reputation much service.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Robinson is an interesting one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he missed both of the last 2 World Cups through injury?? Certainly the last one and he was our best prop at that stage.

As I understand it (working purely off the opinions of others that I have read) his main problems seems to be he is a less than committed trainer (I would be interested as to how he is travelling at training Lee) and his work rate is considered sub par.

If Sio can bounce back strongly from injury we could actually have 3 credible world class loose head options for the Wallabies this year.

Yeah he missed both. If I recall correctly he was still unproven for 2007 and he had the knee thingo in 2011 and tried to get away with not having an operation but it was no-go.

There's no doubt that he is a committed trainer but he doesn't have the engine that other players have, which is why he often starts and gets replaced before oranges. And then if he is needed he is fresh enough to come back. Also he doesn't have the natural dominance in the tight of some other props, but he's good one out from the ruck on attack or defence.

Some attributes such as having a big engine and attaining a dominant presence can be acquired by some players; others not. It is better that they are born with these things but Fat Cat wasn't.

Good loosehead props are a dime a dozen compared to good tighthead props. The move of PAE offshore was deplorable, and that of Longbottom not much better, but we can't blame the players.

Reactions: TSR

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Connolly not picking Robinson in 2007 was seen by some as the perpetual interstate vendetta (ie. anti-NSW, as passed on by Jones) as Fatcat was in form and had earned his international stripes by that stage. Politics always fucks Oz rugby. Yes, pot/kettle/black and all that - but we easily forget/ignore this when we've got the slipper on our foot.

Interesting that the front row failing was the catalyst for our demise at the RWC that year. Not Sheperdson's finest hour.

I'm thoroughly interested in the various reasons why Deans, Link and Cheika all dropped him early in their respective coaching tenures, noting he also lost the NSW captaincy to Dennis when Cheika dropped him in R1 2013. Lazy trainer? Indisciplined? Powerbroker? Never got a decent grasp through our pathetically sycophantic media snouts.

T

TOCC

I'm interested as to what the reasons for dropping him were as well, it's happened a few times at different levels of representative rugby now..

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As I indicated above: he's not a bruiser, and doesn't have a big engine. What level he had in those areas has faded and he is over 30 now. Some props get better with age; some don't.

I'm thinking that as time went by the coaches mentioned above thought the technical expertise he once had in the scrum, or still has, did not make up for those other deficiencies anymore.

When McKenzie took over the Wallabies after the Lions series he dropped him from the starting team and he hasn't started since.

It's not that he's crap because he's still coming off the Wallaby bench: its just at the margin. A younger Fat Cat may have kept his starting spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.