• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Running

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Thanks FP. I've downloaded a few apps and will try them all to see which works best for what I want to do. Probably fairly sage advice about the first few runs, I think my body almost went in to survival mode after the first one so probably best not to go in too hard, too fast or I'll damage my body or my motivation possibly.

Mate I am in get "ski fit" mode at the moment, so trying to get old bones moving, lubricated and working through a body weight program* whilst getting some running in. If I go as my brain thinks I can, I just get hurt these days

(* You are your own gym - best one I have found by far https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.leafcutterstudios.yayog&hl=en)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
That sounds good FP. Cheers mate. I might try and find an apple equivalent!

Did my second run this arvo. Same distance in 21 minutes so dropped 4 minutes!
First run I only managed 500m before I started walking. Today I went 1.5km before I had a walk. I probably could've kept going if it was flat but it was a big hill that did me in. Got half way up and my calves were on fire!
Anyway 7min/km average is a good start. I found a pace that I could sit in pretty comfortably so hopefully I will continue to improve steadily. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That sounds good FP. Cheers mate. I might try and find an apple equivalent!

Did my second run this arvo. Same distance in 21 minutes so dropped 4 minutes!
First run I only managed 500m before I started walking. Today I went 1.5km before I had a walk. I probably could've kept going if it was flat but it was a big hill that did me in. Got half way up and my calves were on fire!
Anyway 7min/km average is a good start. I found a pace that I could sit in pretty comfortably so hopefully I will continue to improve steadily. :)

Might not be a bad idea to stroll into a chemist & get your blood pressure checked. The dizzy/shakiness from your 1st run sounds a bit shit. If you're coming of an extended break I'd take it pretty easy getting into things.

I use MapMyRun too just to plot training courses and sometimes race routes. It is good & free and you can track your progression etc but I'm not into running with a phone so really just use the desktop website version.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Might not be a bad idea to stroll into a chemist & get your blood pressure checked. The dizzy/shakiness from your 1st run sounds a bit shit. If you're coming of an extended break I'd take it pretty easy getting into things.

I use MapMyRun too just to plot training courses and sometimes race routes. It is good & free and you can track your progression etc but I'm not into running with a phone so really just use the desktop website version.

Ok. I will do that. It felt a bit shit at the time but I actually went heaps better today. I think on my first one I went out way too fast. But good advice, I'll get the BP checked.

I live in a smallish country town so the ability to plan runs isn't that big a deal. Basically I can run east on the road out of town or go the other way and head west on the road out of town. ;-)
Running with my phone today was crap but. I might look at getting some kind of holder for it but if I can't find something I like I'll be ditching it.

T

Train Without a Station

I got a couple of iPhone holders off Kogan or catch of the day. They come in handy.

The apps are great because you can track your per km pace and it also will even give you split feedback at as low as 250m intervals, telling distance, time, overall speed, km split speed, etc. good to maintain and track progress.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah I do love the data you get from them. Splits, voice cues etc. Just hated holding it or it in my pocket.
Do the armband holders work? They look potentially quite annoying. Was also thinking a bum bag might be an option.

T

Train Without a Station

Biggest problem I have is sometimes the Velcro rubs against my side. But I run like a robot that needs oil so it may just be me.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Nope. That's what I was thinking would be my issue too. I'd like to say it's because I have huge guns but it's not.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Have let my running go by the wayside over the Xmas period (and a few weeks prior) Though back now for 2015.

Did my first organised run on Saturday. A 5km Parkrun.

Thought it was awesome to see well over 100 people assembled and ready to run at 7 am on a Saturday morning.

I got a round of applause for being a first timer.

Really enjoyed running with the other people.

I ran 31m.17s, will be there again this Saturday

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Have let my running go by the wayside over the Xmas period (and a few weeks prior) Though back now for 2015.

Did my first organised run on Saturday. A 5km Parkrun.

Thought it was awesome to see well over 100 people assembled and ready to run at 7 am on a Saturday morning.

I got a round of applause for being a first timer.

Really enjoyed running with the other people.

I ran 31m.17s, will be there again this Saturday
Parkrun is excellent.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Did another 5km Parkrun on Saturday ran 29.06. Getting better.

Though I would test myself tonight, by running 10km. ( never ran that far before)

Last Km definitely wasn't pretty ,a combination of running ,walking and swearing. though I made it.

Will feel it tomorrow, but more than happy with my effort.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Main thing I found on my first 10km was the hydration - cramped really bad in the last three km and felt like I was never going to shit correctly again!

Over time I got used to that, but was sure to never overload on the fluids beforehand (I hate carrying a water bottle) or you end up sloshing around the first few minutes like an old gourd.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Any tips for building leg endurance. my times are still coming down and breathing feels good.

But my legs really start to burn when I'm pushing so I end up slowing back down.

With cleaning up my diet and running regularly, Ive managed to drop 7 kgs this year.The owner at my local fish shop must think I have died, its been that long since Ive been there:p

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any tips for building leg endurance. my times are still coming down and breathing feels good.

But my legs really start to burn when I'm pushing so I end up slowing back down.

With cleaning up my diet and running regularly, Ive managed to drop 7 kgs this year.The owner at my local fish shop must think I have died, its been that long since Ive been there:p
Wazza, that burn will gradually lessen in intensity. Keep at it, you're going well. 7Kg in a couple of months is outstanding.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yeah, just build up gradually or your injury risk will go a bit nuts. Maybe get your hands on something like this:

http://www.runnersworldonline.com.au/product/runners-world-complete-guide-running/

You'd usually want 3 key sessions a week of a long run (slower paced), your speed session which is intervals of between 500m to 2km reps at a faster pace and then a threshold run or 2 sitting around 15-20secs/km off your 10km pace. Or whatever you'd normally run. Run it so it's not easy but not super hard either.

There's a "Cool Running" Forum you could check out too. Lots of pretty knowledgeable runners on there. http://www.coolrunning.com.au/forums/

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeah, just build up gradually or your injury risk will go a bit nuts. Maybe get your hands on something like this:

http://www.runnersworldonline.com.au/product/runners-world-complete-guide-running/

You'd usually want 3 key sessions a week of a long run (slower paced), your speed session which is intervals of between 500m to 2km reps at a faster pace and then a threshold run or 2 sitting around 15-20secs/km off your 10km pace. Or whatever you'd normally run. Run it so it's not easy but not super hard either.

There's a "Cool Running" Forum you could check out too. Lots of pretty knowledgeable runners on there. http://www.coolrunning.com.au/forums/
For Strava users there is also a Cool runner group. Of course, not everyone is obsessively recording every run they do. Or so I hear.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Wazza, that burn will gradually lessen in intensity. Keep at it, you're going well. 7Kg in a couple of months is outstanding.

Thanks mate ,I am pretty proud of myself.

Have received a few back handed complements though... Geez Wazza you look good you've lost some weight, you don't look so bloated in the face.......... Thanks , I think.

I will be a size smaller when I buy my 2015 Two Blues polo shirt.:)

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)

Thanks all for the advice. I am still a novice, but enjoying it.

Hats off to all that have been runners for many a year , Its hard going but you do feel better for it.