• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That was my suggestion on twitter. While Parra stadium isn't huge right now (21,487) the proposed upgrade will take it to about 32k

And filling it for a Super Rugby game against one of the South African teams is pretty achievable right now.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That was my suggestion on twitter. While Parra stadium isn't huge right now (21,487) the proposed upgrade will take it to about 32k

And filling it for a Super Rugby game against one of the South African teams is pretty achievable right now.

Isn't Parramatta Stadium another SCG trust property

A mutterer

Desmond Connor (43)
Folau is an immense talent.

On his game he is probably one of the best in the world.

Collectively and probably unfairly, supporters want to see him play at that level in EVERY game - reality says that just cannot happen.

he needs to stop kicking like a bloody afl player. it's not going to work in rugby.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Is anyone else surprised that Folau's kicking isn't better? I wad expecting some massive punts from him.

Yeah I am Sully. He is absolutely shithouse at that. Probably ONE of the reasons he was a dismal failure at AFL

What really surprises me is that the bloke is now coming under some fire for performances - and generally well deserved.

Israel was held up there as the saviour of rugby by many. He couldn't do a thing wrong and some posters made excuses for his sometimes below par performances.

The worm seems to have turned a bit and Folau nows seems to being viewed reasonably objectively by most (similar to most other players)

T

TOCC

I think it's more of a case of other teams having figured out some of Folau's strengths and weaknesses so now he isn't finding the freedom he had on the first season of test rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah I am Sully. He is absolutely shithouse at that. Probably ONE of the reasons he was a dismal failure at AFL

What really surprises me is that the bloke is now coming under some fire for performances - and generally well deserved.

Israel was held up there as the saviour of rugby by many. He couldn't do a thing wrong and some posters made excuses for his sometimes below par performances.

The worm seems to have turned a bit and Folau nows seems to being viewed reasonably objectively by most (similar to most other players)

I think it's more a case that the EOYT were the weakest tests he's played.

His performances before that had generally been superb, almost without fail.

I don't think it has anything to do with him being a protected species prior to that.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think it's more a case that the EOYT were the weakest tests he's played.

His performances before that had generally been superb, almost without fail.

I don't think it has anything to do with him being a protected species prior to that.

BH - yep - and that's 5 games.

I certainly think that he has had surperb moments but few surperb 80 min games.

protected, well maybe or maybe not. I do think and I reckon if you look at comments even on this forum, very few posters were prepared to constructively criticise the guys.

Izzy is a very good football player ATM, a great - maybe one day but not yet.

No doubt he still has plenty of improvement in him whether at 13 , wing or 15,

I look forward to that but I fear the bloke will be off to Europe after 2015, That would be a shame

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
True, but he isn't perfect and we want to see him improve.

He needs to improve him kicking (accuracy and speed to release) and palm off skills (he often gets tackled too easy)

For someone who usually beats a couple of defenders before he gets taken down this is just a little bit too rich. I know the Brumbies can't tackle to save their lives (ha ha) but in the first Super game last year he basically ran through more than half the team to score.

I'll be glad when the season starts, the silly season is wearing thin.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Happy new year bitches.

Haven't been keeping up to speed with the squads so pardon me if this has been discussed but I am very surprised that Cheika has not recruited an experienced lock.

He had a good three punch going with Skelton, Jackpot and Douglas but now he expects Douglas' boots the be filled with four versatile back rowers?

Or am I missing someone in the squad list on the Tahs site? Holloway is listed as a lock but looks a bit lightweight? Does the kid "play a bit heavier" than his stats?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
With regards to Folau, I also think that there is a tendency for a group of supporters to go over the top in praise for every player who shows a run of good form, which builds that player into a tall poppy. And we all know what happens to them in Australia.

Unfortunately every 'shiny, new thing' in Australian rugby seems to get announced as 'the greatest since...' or 'the next...' and when they don't live up to the lofty praise the pack seems to set in to crucify them.

For example, Shaun McMahon played a good game vs the BaaBaas and was then anointed by some on here to be a shoe in to be the next great flanker.

It seems the age of letting guys establish themselves over a period of years has passed.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Happy new year bitches.

Haven't been keeping up to speed with the squads so pardon me if this has been discussed but I am very surprised that Cheika has not recruited an experienced lock.

He had a good three punch going with Skelton, Jackpot and Douglas but now he expects Douglas' boots the be filled with four versatile back rowers?

Or am I missing someone in the squad list on the Tahs site? Holloway is listed as a lock but looks a bit lightweight? Does the kid "play a bit heavier" than his stats?

My opinion of Holloway has changed since I saw him in the NRC. Prior to that I thought he was a potential 6/8 but nothing more and definitely a lightweight. But he was very dynamic in that comp and left a lot of his opposition in a heap and I thought then that he could step up into a jumping lock position. If he continues to develop he could play 4, 6 or 8, depending on the team needs.

If Dennis can be a jumping lock then I reckon Holloway can in spades. I think he's a player to watch over the next 18 months, he could be anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.