• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ideas for NRC 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Wouldn't green make more sense for NSW Country, given their Randwick association?

possibly, NSW Country is one of the few teams with a historical link to the colour of their jersey though... It depends if they want to cut their links to the NSW Country Cokatoos

T

TOCC

Agree with all that except for NH Rays. I detest the harlequin design anywhere and everywhere it appears.

I'm not its biggest fan either but i think it creates a point of difference in whats become a rather bland and generic sporting jersey market.

I would really like a couple of the teams to throw caution to the wind and style their jerseys similar to Stade Francais, the one blow is pretty horrible but it would be pretty good for catching the interest of most people. Even the mangoes have come up with a few unique designs for the Auckland 9's
18064.jpg

Wilson

David Codey (61)
possibly, NSW Country is one of the few teams with a historical link to the colour of their jersey though. It depends if they want to cut their links to the NSW Country Cokatoos

Blue and gold are the colours of Brisbane City so they have as much claim as anyone else to them. That said I don't really see the historic ties as being an huge impediment to change. The bigger issue with changing Brisbane City's colours so radically is that they're the most successful team, on and off the field, and you risk sacrificing some of that brand that has been built. It also makes it a bit difficult to use some of your highlights to sell the comp if your only champion doesn't appear to exist any more. Not to mention they were one of the only teams to go to the effort of buying an alternate strip. Admittedly I'm a city fan and don't want to see my side change colours so that does effect my thinking.

Realistically the colours needed to be better allotted at the start of the comp, solutions now are probably going to have to happen piece meal or opportunistically. The first step is probably introduce more variation in the designs, so similar coloured jerseys are more distinguishable. Major change can come with potential shifts in these teams, like NSW country taking a more permanent home.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't see how what country did with their games in 2014 was a bad idea.

They played one game in Sydney when there weren't any other games on and then spread the other games around NSW.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It's hard to build a fan base when you never play in the same place. If there was more access to the games it wouldn't matter as much.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Is there any successful domestic team in the world that doesn't base themselves in one place?

I can think of Harlem Globetrotters?

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Don't mind where NSWCountry play their games, so long as it's not in Sydney. Having NSW Country play in Sydney is like holding a birthday party for someone and not inviting them.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Don't mind where NSWCountry play their games, so long as it's not in Sydney. Having NSW Country play in Sydney is like holding a birthday party for someone and not inviting them.

Well Campbelltown is now back in the Illawarra Comp which last I checked was part of NSW Country RU. Having said that, I do understand your sentiment.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Well Campbelltown is now back in the Illawarra Comp which last I checked was part of NSW Country RU. Having said that, I do understand your sentiment.
Yeah, nah. There's noone who could convince a country bloke that Campbelltown isn't in Sydney.

That being said, I wouldn't mind that part of Sydney getting an NRC team.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeah, nah. There's noone who could convince a country bloke that Campbelltown isn't in Sydney.

That being said, I wouldn't mind that part of Sydney getting an NRC team.

I have an ulterior motive as games played out of Campbelltown are just a 5-10 drive over the Hume from Camden. I'd love for a NRC team to be based out of the region. While it is often tagged in SWS it's its own area by right.

T

TOCC

the Greater Sydney Rams should be renamed the Spartans...
The last vestige to professional club rugby union in Western Sydney from 2016, facing an onslaught from AFL, A-League and the NRL..

If i were the ARU and NSWRU i would be giving Greater Sydney Rams dispensation to improve their recruiting and premiership opportunities in 2015.

If the NSWRU/Waratahs don't advertise the shit out of Sydney NRC games in 2015 i will be incredibly dissapointed, the Wallabies should take the Rams under their wing and use the Wallabies social media platform to advertise Rams matches and derby games.

T

TOCC

Thats one area that needs to improve in 2015, cross-promotion across the social media platforms... QRU and Reds did it really well, so did the Rebels and Force... But Brumbies and especially the Waratahs did it extremely poorly, abysmally actually... The Wallabies social media platform barely acknowledged the existence of the NRC..

ARU needs to establish an official NRC page with links to all the articles and videos released by the clubs, the NRC needs a central location fans can go to and find the latest scores, news and match details.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thats one area that needs to improve in 2015, cross-promotion across the social media platforms. QRU and Reds did it really well, so did the Rebels and Force. But Brumbies and especially the Waratahs did it extremely poorly, abysmally actually. The Wallabies social media platform barely acknowledged the existence of the NRC..

ARU needs to establish an official NRC page with links to all the articles and videos released by the clubs, the NRC needs a central location fans can go to and find the latest scores, news and match details.

Some fan set up an NRC facebook page. It had thousands of followers and was posting all these links etc. Then it got shut down, presumably at the request of the ARU because it wasn't official. But they didn't replace it with one of their own.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
This is probably more aimed at the specific teams rather than the NRC comp as a whole but it would be good to get some more 'brand' integration at club level leading up to the competition kickoff.

To me, the NRC comp still kind of feels like its just been whacked on at the end of the club comp, rather than being a logical progression for fans to support once the club season is over.

Maybe getting representatives of the respective NRC franchises attending club games and offering draws to win free tickets and merchandise etc, giving away footys to the kids watching the games. Just something to get the ball rolling and build interest leading up to the competition and raise awareness that once your club is done playing, there is something worthwhile to support.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Good call . I think there needs to be more of a fuss made that getting picked for an NRC franchise is something important. There is still a bit of an aura that S15 teams are the be and end all when it comes to 'making it' in rugby and now there is an added step in the process.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It is going to take a long while for the NRC to develop the cachet that playing Soup does.

It might, but only if the rugby public actually starts caring about a team of their own, and start supporting THEIR team.

See me in ten years, we might have some good news for you, if the patient is still alive, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.