• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Cheers. Didn't think of him!
Yeah Pickle is a good one and would be in the grey area for 'wellknownenoughness'.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Ed O’Donoghue is injured
Looks like kotze will get a start at lock then. I thought he was excellent in the NRC final, will be interesting to see how he steps up. Also interested in talakai and faagasse stepping up, the quality of the pack is going to have a huge impact on how Duncan goes at 10.

T

TOCC

I rate Kotze, he brings that typical South African physicality..
He is a good player to have in the squad, a mature player with reasonable experience..

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
For your convenience - A guide to the notable nicknames in the reds 2015 squad
Ben Daley - Dales
Greg Holmes - Homer
Saia - FTS of S.Finger
Hanson - Chibba
Horwil - Kev
McDuling - Dules
Browning - CB
Fakaosilea - Junior
Frisby - Pickle
Feuai-Sautia - CFS
Ant - FTA or A.Finger
Kuridrani - Panther
Hunt - Special K
Taulagi - JJT

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The most alarming thing for me is that there is even a discussion about a short term signing after one injury and before the season has even started.
It's that all too familiar feeling of unease that the guys pulling the strings aren't 100% across it all that is lingering on the edge of my conscious thoughts.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for Duncan to have a go and see what he's got but the higher up thinking that has resulted in us being in this position concerns me already.

The alarming thing for me is that it appears at first glance to be quite an extensive injury list with the 2015 reds without even a ball being kicked, yet I am not reading corresponding comments (or laments) in the other franchises threads. Sure, there are the one or two injuries here and there, but this seems a bit more than just the usual one or two you would expect.

I have read comments on here about "it's a contact sport" or "it's shit weather" etc, which seems illogical to me given surely every other team is exposed to weather and playing the same game and don't (apparently) have the same injury woes at this time of the season.

I should qualify, I am largely going of what is written in these here threads, so perhaps the injury toll is not as bad as what it is, or the injury is little more than a niggle - I don't know.

I just am not reading the same laments in other threads so assume they are not suffering as we apparently (might be?) are.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
“Fortunately of the 10 players sidelined from either surgery in 2014 or recent injury we expect Greg Holmes (shoulder), Ben Daley (shoulder), Ed O'Donoghue (ankle) and James O'Connor back next week.

“This will also be bolstered by the likelihood Adam Thomson will also be available for selection, as his commitments with his Japanese club will be over.”

The other injured players unavailable for selection are: Cooper - suffered a fractured collar bone at training and will be out for 10-12 weeks; Lock Dave McDuling – strained glute during a rucking drill last week; Flanker Eddie Quirk - still recovering from a knee reconstruction; Lock Rob Simmons - returned from Wallabies Spring Tour with a shoulder complaint that will be managed week to week; Centre Ben Tapuai - hamstring injury at training two weeks ago and has not recovered; wing Lachie Turner - injured his shoulder during a contact drill last week and could be back Round 1.

Does anyone else feel as worried as I do about our premier lock going into a WC year with an injury that will be managed week-to-week? I know it would be a blow to a Reds team that has run over the injury Chinaman (again) but he needs to either be in surgery or off the park till he's 100%. The Wallaby second row without him doesn't bear thinking about.

B

Bobby Sands

So true, I'd be annoyed if the Reds are being selfish if he indeed does need surgery. The bloke needs to be fit of the WC.

Commercial realities I guess though, RG's plumbs are in the vice.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Does anyone else feel as worried as I do about our premier lock going into a WC year with an injury that will be managed week-to-week? I know it would be a blow to a Reds team that has run over the injury Chinaman (again) but he needs to either be in surgery or off the park till he's 100%. The Wallaby second row without him doesn't bear thinking about.

Hawko -thank God there is about 1.5 billion of 'em

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)

You're not the lone ranger Hawko.

Inquiring minds want to know exactly why he didn't go under the knife after the EOYT.

I'm generally always in favour of throwing RG under the bus for this sort of thing but surely he wouldn't be that crazy. You manage an injury through the last few weeks of a season, doing before game 1 is just not feasible.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
If it's a proper unstable shoulder it's just going to get worse not better. Reds should have copped the hit and let him have surgery in December.

If not, they may have made the right call allowing it to be managed until it comes right even though he may be able to play with it with no consequence.

I suspect the former but am happy to be proven wrong. Time will tell

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The alarming thing for me is that it appears at first glance to be quite an extensive injury list with the 2015 reds without even a ball being kicked, yet I am not reading corresponding comments (or laments) in the other franchises threads. Sure, there are the one or two injuries here and there, but this seems a bit more than just the usual one or two you would expect.

I have read comments on here about "it's a contact sport" or "it's shit weather" etc, which seems illogical to me given surely every other team is exposed to weather and playing the same game and don't (apparently) have the same injury woes at this time of the season.

I should qualify, I am largely going of what is written in these here threads, so perhaps the injury toll is not as bad as what it is, or the injury is little more than a niggle - I don't know.

I just am not reading the same laments in other threads so assume they are not suffering as we apparently (might be?) are.

It's not the end of the world yet. If you look at TOCC's post #4829, to quote
So it only looks like Quirk and Cooper are out for a significant amount of time, with Turner, Tapuai and McDuling back for round 1 -2..""

Status
Not open for further replies.