• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby Season 14/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Pat Lam has been excellent. There were rumours he was going to be pinched, along with Connacht's two best players Marmion and Henshaw, by Leinster. Delighted that in his case they have proved unfounded, hope the same is true for the players.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
How long until we see the headline "Hartley banned for 8 week for eye gouging psychologist" with the article saying his ban was reduced because of an early guilty plea, lack of video evidence and Lewis Moody's testimony as to his changed character?

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Quarter-final draw (to be played 3/4/5 April)

Semi final 1 : Clermont Auvergne/Northampton Vs Racing Metro/Saracens
Semi final 2: Toulon/Wasps Vs Leinster/Bath

Looks like a Toulon Clermont final on paper. Realistically only Leinster or Racing look like the teams that could stop them if they both have form and luck on their side. Though if Bath did beat Leinster, with their youth and pace in the backs they could certainly be the team to win at the Mayol.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Bath out scrummed a Glasgow team down to third/ fourth choice across the front row, with a centre playing number eight, wingers playing in the back row etc. They did not win because of their backs where they were completely out played by Glasgow. It will be four home wins in the QFs. As long as Racing beat fucking Saracens I don't really care.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Bath out scrummed a Glasgow team down to third/ fourth choice across the front row, with a centre playing number eight, wingers playing in the back row etc. They did not win because of their backs where they were completely out played by Glasgow. It will be four home wins in the QFs. As long as Racing beat fucking Saracens I don't really care.

True but away against Toulouse, three of their four tries were some of the best in the group dotage, while JJ'S could easily be try of the tournament. JJ, Eastmond, Watson, Rokodugani. Lethal out wide. Throw in Ford, Louw, Burgess and they look decent. A side so good Henson is barely getting into the team..

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
True but away against Toulouse, three of their four tries were some of the best in the group dotage, while JJ'S could easily be try of the tournament. JJ, Eastmond, Watson, Rokodugani. Lethal out wide. Throw in Ford, Louw, Burgess and they look decent. A side so good Henson is barely getting into the team..
Chavin is a bit fat and slow now although he still
has great hands. The Whole tournament is going to continue to be about injuries. Racing, Clermont and Toulon have so much more depth than anyone else they can deal with injuries better than the other sides. If Leinster can get the first choice 23 out for all three games they could win it. If Toulon were compelled to travel to Paris for their semi final rather than at a 'neutral' venue half an hour down the road, things might be a bit easier for the ladies as well.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Will be interesting to see how Burgess goes this evening for the England Saxons against a strong Wolfhounds midfield of Madigan, D'Arcy and Earls. I think D'Arcy has been selected to deal with his attacking threat but he might find the footwork of Madigan, Earls and the back three of Fitzgerald, McFadden and Felix a bit more of a defensive challenge than the mindless, contact seekers in the English league. I predict he will be penalised on more than one occasion for a dangerous tackle and might even see a yellow card. The other thing of note, from an Irish perspective, is the return of Sean O'Brien and Iain Henderson. Henderson was monstrous on Saturday night for Ulster against Leicester, destroying rucks and battering off tacklers like flies. Should be worth a look if you get a chance, it is on Sky as well as RTE so should think it will be available somewhere in the Antipodes.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
The mungoes have a line for everything. If a former league player goes well at rugby they say it proves how easy the game is if the former league player can't hack it, it's cited as proof that players prefer league (see Benji Marshall).
That's a version of the Morton's Fork fallacy, also a kind of Dana White "No True Fucking Fight Fan" fallacy. If they can't have it their way, they'll have it both ways.

What about decent league players who switch to union, do okay but aren't world-beaters, and choose to remain in union? There's more than a few of them knocking around in England. They tend to play in the centres or on the wings, and one likes to do swan dives and get his face punched.

My sense is that's a lot more common in Great Britain than Down Under, and that in general there's less animosity between the codes in the north anyway, at least these days.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Will be interesting to see how Burgess goes this evening for the England Saxons against a strong Wolfhounds midfield of Madigan, D'Arcy and Earls. I think D'Arcy has been selected to deal with his attacking threat but he might find the footwork of Madigan, Earls and the back three of Fitzgerald, McFadden and Felix a bit more of a defensive challenge than the mindless, contact seekers in the English league. I predict he will be penalised on more than one occasion for a dangerous tackle and might even see a yellow card. The other thing of note, from an Irish perspective, is the return of Sean O'Brien and Iain Henderson. Henderson was monstrous on Saturday night for Ulster against Leicester, destroying rucks and battering off tacklers like flies. Should be worth a look if you get a chance, it is on Sky as well as RTE so should think it will be available somewhere in the Antipodes.

Burgess looked totally pedestrian in what was a god awful error strewn game. Not many of the players on show covered themselves in glory. I thought Henderson was the best of the Irish and English fullback Pennell was man of the match.

Neither Lancaster nor Schmidt would have learned much and I think the Ireland camp will be glad that Sean O'Brien got a solid 50 minutes under his belt.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
It was a terrible game not helped by a ref who was pedantic and didn't enforce offside. Thought it would be better than that, modern pros can't just rock up and play, it seems.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
It was a terrible game not helped by a ref who was pedantic and didn't enforce offside. Thought it would be better than that, modern pros can't just rock up and play, it seems.
I used to think it might be a good idea to have a former prop on as a second ref for the scrums. Now I'm not so sure.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Peter O'Mahony, the next Irish captain, has signed a three year contract extension with Munster/ IRFU. Good news for once after Varley's retirement and Robocop's injury.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
And Iain Henderson signed on for three more years for Ulster. Conor Murray next season is going to be the big one, the French will break the bank for him.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
And Iain Henderson signed on for three more years for Ulster.
How long before Henderson starts becoming an impact player at the start of the game instead of the last 20 minutes? He plays with some urgency that's fantastic to watch, especially at the breakdown, and he's still young. Could see him starting a few World Cup games, if not sooner.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
How long before Henderson starts becoming an impact player at the start of the game instead of the last 20 minutes? He plays with some urgency that's fantastic to watch, especially at the breakdown, and he's still young. Could see him starting a few World Cup games, if not sooner.
He is starting in the second row for the Nordilators tonight. I think he needs to show he can put in a full 60 minutes before he can start for Ireland. However he is only a month back after seven months out of the game so it will come. He did some crazy things in the last round of the Nigels cup including his trick of obliterating rucks. I would like to see him start next weekend against the Orcs with POM moving to eight.

Status
Not open for further replies.