• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

I suggest that GPS supporters need to keep a lid on expectations - granted they do seem to be getting a good core together but Uni & Sunnybank have pretty fair playing stocks as well.

Would be fair to say that these 3 teams would be favourites to finish in the top 3.

Putting aside my bias I predict that Bond will get there quicker than we think and finish 4th in QPR15.

Could be tough for Easts, Bros & Souths - I think they will have some success against the top 4 but they will lack the consistency to finish in top 3.

I hope that Norths & Wests will improve but despite changes in coaching set-ups at. Norths they both appear to have pretty much have the same players as 2014.

GPSGPSGPS

Frank Nicholson (4)
Sika is back at GPS, he is just training with QLD U20's at present and not available for club training, North's went hard at him but he has decided to stay put which is great for the club.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Not to under cut your judgement but I don't think we can comment on Bond and Wests squads as we haven't heard peep out of any camps on what's going on. For all we know the three of them could have imported a whole new team.

Brothers have added some potential fire power in the Tupou family to their ranks and with strong showings in Colts, Reggies and Prems I can't see them dropping out of the race.

The real question marks are over Norths and Souths. A lot of good players have been linked with both clubs and where there is smoke there is fire. Also I have heard that Norths have had a few new faces around the traps and if they're in fact pulling players the calibre of Sikimeti then they are doing well. I have also heard clubs are benefitting from the restructuring of the FOGS Cup competition
with some handy converts making appearances around the traps.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Not to under cut your judgement but I don't think we can comment on Bond and Wests squads as we haven't heard peep out of any camps on what's going on. For all we know the three of them could have imported a whole new team.

Brothers have added some potential fire power in the Tupou family to their ranks and with strong showings in Colts, Reggies and Prems I can't see them dropping out of the race.

The real question marks are over Norths and Souths. A lot of good players have been linked with both clubs and where there is smoke there is fire. Also I have heard that Norths have had a few new faces around the traps and if they're in fact pulling players the calibre of Sikimeti then they are doing well. I have also heard clubs are benefitting from the restructuring of the FOGS Cup competition
with some handy converts making appearances around the traps.

Any big name signings at Souths? I thought a lot more players would have joined in the exodus there after Piccone left Yoku, but it seems not to be the case.

T

Tigers Tale

Bond apparently have a few Tiger back this year in Fatal, Sam Cox & Ross Morais.

Mind you Sam Fatal has never played for the Breakers/Bond as he came to Easts straight out of TSS.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any big name signings at Souths? I thought a lot more players would have joined in the exodus there after Piccone left Yoku, but it seems not to be the case.

I've heard Kuridrani has gone to Souths, however, the opposite has been said in this forum, not sure which is true. Nathan Nicol can potentially be called part of the exodus despite him going to Souths to coach Prem Colts. Also have heard Jake Milne, former GPS and Brothers player has gone to Souths but haven't really heard much about him since he left GPS so not sure.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Red Heavies will travel to Sydney on the 14th February, to compete for the Australian Club Championship (ACC) against 2014 Shute Shield winners Eastwood. The Red Heavies recorded a hard fought win in the Hospital Cup Final and will be eager to kick off their Premiership defense with a strong outing in Sydney.
After a disappointing loss to Sydney University in their last ACC game in 2013, the boys will be looking to come away with the win and add to UQRFC’s two ACC wins (1990 & 2011). It will be hard fought contest against a very strong Eastwood outfit, who have won 2 of the last 4 Shute Shields. We wish our boys all the best for the game.

UQRFC vs Eastwood
14th February 2015
Kick Off – TBA
Venue: T G Millner Field, Eastwood Rugby Club

T

Tigers Tale

Good luck to the Red Heavies v Eastwood.

It is a shame that these games are not S15 curtain raisers anymore but the atmosphere at Bottomley for last year's ACC game was fantastic, so playing the game at the suburban fields where the club gets the proceeds of the day also has it's appeal.

I think Brothers changed the practice in 2010 and had it played at their home ground - the wonderful Crosby Park!! Well done Brothers on that front.

OMG - complimenting Uni & Bros in the one post!!!

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Good to hear kuridrani is staying at yoku. Am I correct in saying he has been hanging around the premier group since he was about 8 years old? Would have been sad to see him leave so close to making the next level.

Here is a clip of Tom Pincus converting a try at thee Darwin sevens

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Chris Kurindrani was a Souths Junior until Colts when he and Tevita left and went to GPS and Uni respectively. Chris played in the the 2009 Souths Premier Colts winning premiership team.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not sure Big Dog. Not close enough to the action. Will have to wait until the first trial game v Wests on Tuesday night, 10th Feb. at Souths @ 7:00pm. Will see who is new then.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Fair enough wahorse.

It seems that at least for 2015, GPS has managed to retain the glut of players I feared would be heading to Souths. Will be interesting though to see how many stick around after this year, depending on how the team goes and gels with Dammers. As I've said before his coaching approach seems to be clashing with a few blokes who enjoyed playing under Shane and Buzz, whether or not it improves over the season remains to be seen.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
TD I believe that it's only Premier Grade but I am sure there will be a large contingent of Prem Reserves showing what they can offer in Premier Grade.

nenenoah

Frank Row (1)
Colts to Grade Players to look out for in 2015.

Souths: Nigel Tanuvasa - After breaking into premier grade midway through last season and playing great rugby, he will find himself a definite starter at 12 for Souths this year.
GPS: Dylan Sikimeti - Back at GPS for 2015, looking to start and will play plenty of Rugby off the bench for premier grade.
Campbell Magnay - 'Big Red' has tough opposition for a starting spot as GPS centre, however he is simply well above a colts level and his Reds training should see him as a permanent starter in premier grade.
Easts: Michael Gunn - No surprises here will probably miss out on the Reds starting 23 for most of the season however, he is looking fit and thick and ready to play a strong season for Easts Premier Grade. Definite starter.
Wests: Alec Fontavalo - Played a lot of 7's over the offseason and is relatively fit, size is not on his side but he is an exceptional rugby player and should receive game time off the bench at Wests.
Bronson Taukipulu - Altho still a colt, his training with Reds 20's has seen him fitter then previous offseasons and should receive plenty of game time off the bench.
Bond: Douglas McMillan - Had a quiet year in 2014, and word is he is bigger and stronger and wanting to take premier grade by storm, with a strong push from bond management, should be a starter.
Norths: Garrath Ryan - Looking much stronger physically with his 20's training. Fittest prop going around, and was a permanent starter for Norths last year and will retain his spot as he was arguebly one of the standout props in premier grade.
Patrick Fortescue - Straight from colts and word from the nest is he is looking more sizier and fitter then ever, back playing 7 or 6. Should be a definite bench player if he doesn't work his way into the starting premier grade side.
UQ: Adam Korczyk - After a couple of years of on and off starting in premier grade, he is looking like an absolute man. His size and pure aggression will see him starting to dominate the Premier Grade scene. Bench for Reds is more than possible for Adam.
James Dalgleish - Will continue to string Uni's premier grade backline together and will find himself a permanent starter outside Pincus this year. Too much talent to sit in Reserve Grade.
Phil Potgeiter - 20's training has Phil in great shape, and he is hungry for another season at the Red Heavies. Will probably spend most of his time on the bench due to Uni's massive depth but nevertheless a few injuries could see him frequently in Premier Grade
Hayden Russell - Unfortunately for Hayden he is as good as they come for big, hard centres, yet will struggle to play premier grade being overshadowed by the exceptional James Dalgleish. A definite bench player for premier grade and potential starter again with injuries
Sunnybank: Conrad Quick - Will find himself starting in premier grade more and more as he gets older. Size also is not on Conrad's side but he makes up for it in sheer power.
Brothers: Henry Fitzgerald - Freakish flanker, can do anything you ask of him. Will definitely see game time in premier grade.
Patrick James - 'Sticksy' is the thinnest rugby Player, but unbelievable at tackling, breaking the line, and using players outside him. Brothers have great depth already in this position but word is, at training Sticksy has been putting his hand up and been involved in absolutely everything. Hopefully will see plenty of game time 2015.

My predictions on the players too lookout for in 2015 who will be leaving the Colts bracket. Lets see how right these predictions hold up in 6 months time .. Goodluck

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Great post nenenoah

Would like to add:
Ed Gibson (played colts at souths last year) to the list. He will most likely be the starting 10 for uni in the aussie champs game in a few weeks. Looked very impressive in pre season. Himself, dalglish and Nathan Russell (still a colt) will all be fighting it out for the 10/12 jersey through out the year
Aaron Pleash - is a very good player and depending on under 20's selections will be in and around the premier squad at loose head or hooker

Status
Not open for further replies.