• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Los Jaguares 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

26yr old Martín Landajo(40 Test caps) has made history by becoming the first player to sign with the Argentina Super Rugby Team..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think they'll be a competitive team from the beginning. The Pampas squad that beat all our Super Rugby A sides last year to win the Pacific Rugby Cup was full of young players and will provide the majority of their team next year.

They obviously won't attract all of their players back from Europe but I'm sure they'll get a few of them, especially given the change in policy for test selection. Add those guys to that Pampas team and it'll be a good squad with a lot of depth.

The concern for me is that with only 1 Super Rugby team the Pumas will be weakened in the short term. If the Super Rugby side finished mid table in its first season that'd be a pretty decent result - but will it cheapen the Rugby Championship to have effectively the same side taking on the Wallabies, All Blacks and Springboks?

Hopefully it won't be long til Argentina have 2+ teams.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think they'll be a competitive team from the beginning. The Pampas squad that beat all our Super Rugby A sides last year to win the Pacific Rugby Cup was full of young players and will provide the majority of their team next year.

They obviously won't attract all of their players back from Europe but I'm sure they'll get a few of them, especially given the change in policy for test selection. Add those guys to that Pampas team and it'll be a good squad with a lot of depth.

The concern for me is that with only 1 Super Rugby team the Pumas will be weakened in the short term. If the Super Rugby side finished mid table in its first season that'd be a pretty decent result - but will it cheapen the Rugby Championship to have effectively the same side taking on the Wallabies, All Blacks and Springboks?

Hopefully it won't be long til Argentina have 2+ teams.

My concern has always been that Argentina should have two Super teams from the beginning of their entry into the comp. My reason is slightly different in that I can see the one Super squad being virtually the Pumas' squad and there'll be little difference between their Super and test teams. I don't think it will be a good thing to have essentially a test team playing in a provincial competition. Have the same misgivings about Japan's entry.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
My concern has always been that Argentina should have two Super teams from the beginning of their entry into the comp. My reason is slightly different in that I can see the one Super squad being virtually the Pumas' squad and there'll be little difference between their Super and test teams. I don't think it will be a good thing to have essentially a test team playing in a provincial competition. Have the same misgivings about Japan's entry.

It will basically be a larger Pumas squad given they're only going to select locally based players for the test team from 2016. I guess the difference is that they'll rotate their players a bit more in Super Rugby.

My understanding is that the Argentinian Union wanted to have only 1 team to begin with. It is a big financial commitment after all and I guess they want to bed down 1 team before they think about a 2nd.

The Japanese side will likely be a bit stronger than the Japanese national team as it'll have a few imports.

It's not ideal to have only 1 team from either country but the situation will last 5 years at most. And I wouldn't be surprised if it changed earlier than that.

T

TOCC

They won't get all of their big name ayers back from Europe but they'll get a few, I'm not concerned about the Argentina team been too good, it will take them a few years just to get used to the tempo and speed of super rugby. Anyway, that's a South African problem if they are too good.

T

TOCC

Guido Pagadizabal(lock) is another signing..

I believe the Argentina coach is also shadowing the Waratahs for much of 2014, it's a good thing they are willing to help out.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It will basically be a larger Pumas squad given they're only going to select locally based players for the test team from 2016. I guess the difference is that they'll rotate their players a bit more in Super Rugby.

My understanding is that the Argentinian Union wanted to have only 1 team to begin with. It is a big financial commitment after all and I guess they want to bed down 1 team before they think about a 2nd.

The Japanese side will likely be a bit stronger than the Japanese national team as it'll have a few imports.

It's not ideal to have only 1 team from either country but the situation will last 5 years at most. And I wouldn't be surprised if it changed earlier than that.

Leading to an Americas conference made up of 2 teams each from Argentina, US and Canada.:)

T

TOCC

There's already 2 threads with this discussion going on, try and save this one specific to the 2016 Argentina super rugby team

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I wonder whether they'll play all their games in one location, or if they'll try and be an all Argentina team with home games scattered throughout the country.

With future expansion in mind I hope they are a Buenos Aires team rather than an Argentina team.

T

TOCC

Given their horrible travel schedule I'd imagine they will try and base them in one location. Japan and Argentina will be racking up the frequent flyer points that's for sure.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Japan and Argentina will be racking up the frequent flyer points that's for sure.

I think the best option is for them to play their home games in a couple of blocks. Would be too difficult if they have to keep flying back and forth every couple of weeks.

For example, a schedule like this:

4 home games
5 games in South Africa
4 home games
2 games in Australia or New Zealand

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This Argentinean side is looking a bit unfair, it's almost going to be the national side isn't it? Will be hard to beat.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
This Argentinean side is looking a bit unfair, it's almost going to be the national side isn't it? Will be hard to beat.

This issue is likely to worry our SA brethren much more than us. If the Argies do start winning their conference we'll be able to hear the screams from here without the aid of amplifiers.

And just imagine if they top the table and get the home semi/final. Everyone will be up in arms, especially the broadcasters.

T

TOCC

It's a positive for Super Rugby, it would be worse if they fielded a team which was uncompetitive, anyway some super rugby teams would have beaten many test teams in years gone by..

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
That could really stand to Argentina come the Rugby Championship. They'll have plenty of experience together by that point.

T

TOCC

It could also work against them , if they only pick players from the Argentina Super Rugby team it means those players are going to be pretty fatigued with no break throughout the season... At least with other SANZAR teams they might have 6-8 players in the test squad but the Argentina team will have 30...

Status
Not open for further replies.