• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Did the Warathas Media Unit put a time to this or is an all day stake out required?:)
I saw a schedule for the day.
IIRC first game in the Willie O cup is 9am,then anothe @ 10.40.
Tah's play their first trial @ 1pm,then after the 3rd trial ,the final 2 games in the Willie O cup are played.
No idea when/how the player signings will be organised.
The weather/lack of cover has scared this softie from attending.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I saw a schedule for the day.
IIRC first game in the Willie O cup is 9am,then anothe @ 10.40.
Tah's play their first trial @ 1pm,then after the 3rd trial ,the final 2 games in the Willie O cup are played.
No idea when/how the player signings will be organised.
The weather/lack of cover has scared this softie from attending.

Will the great man be in attendance?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Received my membership pack today. Very important question. Did anyone get a car sticker in their pack? Didn't appear to get one.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Received my membership pack today. Very important question. Did anyone get a car sticker in their pack? Did appear to get one.

Out of pure curiosity when did you pay for it? I'm just trying to work out how far away mine is?

JT0406

Allen Oxlade (6)
8:30am: Gates Open
9:30am: Kick Off – Willie O Cup Manly (1st) v Newcastle Brothers (4th)
10:40am: Kick Off – Willie O Cup Burwood Blues (2nd) v Griffith (3rd)
1:00pm: Kick Off – NSW Waratahs v Randwick
1:35pm: Kick Off – NSW Waratahs v Sydney Uni
2:15pm: Kick Off – NSW Waratahs v Parramatta
3:40pm: Kick Off – Willie O Cup 3rd v 4th
5:00pm: Kick Off – Willie O Cup Final

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, I've given it some thought, and have to say I'm mildly disappointed in the move to lock up the SFS as the venue.

Partly because, coming in from the west, its nice to be able to take the short journey to Olympic Park. Even though the atmosphere there is generally shit (the Final last year excluded, obviously) and the local facilities are not up to the standards of the Beerluminati.

I live near a train station so I can get in and get out again with reasonable speed, and don't mind the walk to the stadium (fuck buses, seriously).

But the facilities inside the SFS are shit. The concourse is poorly lit, and too narrow for a crowd, while the old seats need replacing. I generally don't move from my seat for the game unless I'm desperate to piss, and don't even bother with the shitty "beer" and "food" they "serve".

Hopefully part of the deal is that they actually put enough fucking staff on at the games, and upgrade the lighting around the footways to suit. Some decent beer wouldn't hurt, either.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The SFS suits me fine

Good restaurants and pubs nearby and a decent view of the game.

The facilities/service may be shit inside the ground but hey anywhere is better than Homebush

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well, I've given it some thought, and have to say I'm mildly disappointed in the move to lock up the SFS as the venue.

Partly because, coming in from the west, its nice to be able to take the short journey to Olympic Park. Even though the atmosphere there is generally shit (the Final last year excluded, obviously) and the local facilities are not up to the standards of the Beerluminati.

I live near a train station so I can get in and get out again with reasonable speed, and don't mind the walk to the stadium (fuck buses, seriously).

But the facilities inside the SFS are shit. The concourse is poorly lit, and too narrow for a crowd, while the old seats need replacing. I generally don't move from my seat for the game unless I'm desperate to piss, and don't even bother with the shitty "beer" and "food" they "serve".

Hopefully part of the deal is that they actually put enough fucking staff on at the games, and upgrade the lighting around the footways to suit. Some decent beer wouldn't hurt, either.

I agree about facilities at the SFS, but the place has had little done to it since in opened in 1988 and is due for a major redevelopment. A similar redevelopment at the SCG has improved the food, drink and other facilities out of sight.

I understand that league, rugby and soccer are supporting a plan to increase capacity of the SFS to 65,000 as part of the state government's stadium plan. ANZ has now lost both AFL and the Waratahs which puts the SCG Trust in a much better negoitiating position.

I don't mind going to ANZ, but the views are hopeless. It's so poorly designed to view sport, that it doesn't actually provide a good view for any of them. In fact I'd even go as far to say that the SCG is a better place to view league and union that ANZ.

The main impediment to an improved SFS is the contract signed pre-olympics which effectively gives ANZ a veto over improvements to any stadium within a 100 km radius. Things may change.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-light-rail-link/story-fnpn0zn5-1227133631151

T

TOCC

I still think it's a massive shame that there won't be any super rugby played in Western Sydney from 2016..

Swans moved to SFS but a large part of that would have been due to the arrival of the Western Sydney Giants.. Granted ANZ is a shit stadium to watch rugby union at, it still would have been good to see Parramatta investigated for hosting one match a year..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I still think it's a massive shame that there won't be any super rugby played in Western Sydney from 2016..

Swans moved to SFS but a large part of that would have been due to the arrival of the Western Sydney Giants.. Granted ANZ is a shit stadium to watch rugby union at, it still would have been good to see Parramatta investigated for hosting one match a year..

Parramatta Stadium is part of the state government programme. If it's increased to 30-35,000 capacity (as mooted), I'd have no problem with the Waratahs taking a game there.

The problem for me with ANZ isn't it's location. Getting to and from by bus takes about the same time as getting to SFS by Ferry and bus, and I find the food facilities outside to be good. The problem is the view - unless you're in the members or in the platinum seats, the players are like ants.

The arrival of the Giants would only be a small part of the Swans thinking. Basically ANZ is a crap ground to watch AFL at as well and there is zero atmosphere there unless you have 70,000 plus people at any game of any code.

T

TOCC

There was only a few Waratahs games in 2014 which exceeded the capacity of Parramatta Stadium though, maybe the premiership will lift the average crowd in 2015 so that might change...

I think it'd be a great shame if there were no super rugby in Western Sydney from 2016 given the rising threat from the Giants, Wanderers and existing NRL teams.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There was only a few Waratahs games in 2014 which exceeded the capacity of Parramatta Stadium though, maybe the premiership will lift the average crowd in 2015 so that might change.

I think it'd be a great shame if there were no super rugby in Western Sydney from 2016 given the rising threat from the Giants, Wanderers and existing NRL teams.

That's true, but hopefully crowds are back on the rise and we'll see a return of 30-35,000 to most matches involving Aus or NZ teams and 25-30,000 for the SAF matches.

In it's current configuration, Parramatta Stadium isn't great. After the redevelopment, it'll be first rate and I agree that the Waratahs should look at playing matches there. Plenty of good pubs and restaurants in Parramatta too, for those that way inclined.

I agree that it would be a shame if there was no super rugby matches in the west. Although, having said all that, the new agreement with the SCG Trust might proclude any matches from being played anywhere but the SFS.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Rugby has no chance of taking the west. Playing games in Homebush merely served to piss off the core supporters. It's a shitty gameday experience also.

Yeah, the SFS needs an update but at least you can see the action whilst you are there from most of the seats.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That's true, but hopefully crowds are back on the rise and we'll see a return of 30-35,000 to most matches involving Aus or NZ teams and 25-30,000 for the SAF matches.

In it's current configuration, Parramatta Stadium isn't great. After the redevelopment, it'll be first rate and I agree that the Waratahs should look at playing matches there. Plenty of good pubs and restaurants in Parramatta too, for those that way inclined.

I agree that it would be a shame if there was no super rugby matches in the west. Although, having said all that, the new agreement with the SCG Trust might proclude any matches from being played anywhere but the SFS.

Pirtek is actually a great ground to watch football. I was at the Wanderers game on New Year's Day and while the game was uninspiring (the A-League is a joke in terms of quality) you do get quite close to the action.

The SCG Trust deal isn't necessarily a negative. As long as they actively engage with the western half of the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.