• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trial: Waratahs vs Three Shute Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
As there will be no TV and the quality of rugby reporting elsewhere is so dismal, all Waratah attendees are requested to provide match reports and comments in this thread. "NSW expects this day that every man (and woman) will do their duty."

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I saw half the Sydney Uni game and the Parramatta game. I can't pass much comment on the rugby itself, it was mostly pretty scrappy as you'd expect. I think I was most impressed by the Two Blues' efforts to play the Tahs-style continuity game, which worked pretty well - they even put a try on the Tahs.

Most of the big names weren't playing - of the Wallabies, Beale played the last game, Horne and Skelton both games that I saw, Benn Robbo also. Palu played. Betham was in playing kit, but i don't think I saw him play - I may have confused him with Volavola, wouldn't have been the first time. Dennis, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Phipps, Foley, Folau, Kepu all sat it out. Kellaway has clearly been taking hair dying tips from Tom Carter.

All the players were very accessible after the games for photos, etc. A great idea to combine it with the Willie O Cup - a great atmosphere there. Well done Tahs.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No injures according to Cheika. That's all that matters.

Sounds like big T was impressive. Don't understand the hate surrounding him, he'll be better than Nadolo.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No injures according to Cheika. That's all that matters.

Sounds like big T was impressive. Don't understand the hate surrounding him, he'll be better than Nadolo.
He was probably the most dominant player of the day. Scored several tries.

Jed Holloway was also good.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
It was a nice day, plenty of good food and sunshine but not much shade and no beer
Tahs rolled wicks in first game
Again as said above big t was a standout in this game which was fairly scrappy overall and can't really take much out of it
Latu needs to practice his throws but was good with ball in hand

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)

He's great with ball in hand, but in his five Waratahs games I don't think he made a tackle, save for two consecutive shoulder charges in the semi-final. Maybe he'll be a great, but he's got plenty to learn. Maybe preseason has made the difference.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
It was a nice day, plenty of good food and sunshine but not much shade and no beer
Tahs rolled wicks in first game
Again as said above big t was a standout in this game which was fairly scrappy overall and can't really take much out of it
Latu needs to practice his throws but was good with ball in hand

No beer?

WTF?

I hope that mystery bags were available.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He's great with ball in hand, but in his five Waratahs games I don't think he made a tackle, save for two consecutive shoulder charges in the semi-final. Maybe he'll be a great, but he's got plenty to learn. Maybe preseason has made the difference.

I agree he has issues but no one seems to care about Nadolo's negatives when he's scoring tries.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How did Sam Lousi go?

I didn't really see a lot of him good or bad but he seemed fairly physical and not out of place.

I think he'll be a few spots down the pecking order but it doesn't seem like he's a poor choice to recruit at this stage.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was pretty impressed with Vasa Faleali'i on Saturday. He looks like a good recruit and should be ready to step up to the matchday 23 if either Phipps or McKibbin are injured. Certainly looks to be a good replacement for McKibbin next season.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I didn't really see a lot of him good or bad but he seemed fairly physical and not out of place.

I think he'll be a few spots down the pecking order but it doesn't seem like he's a poor choice to recruit at this stage.
I think he will need to play in the SS every week,to try and fast track his education.
We might be in a bit of trouble if the ranks thin out to the level that he gets a jumper this year.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
What a top day in the west it was on Saturday. The only downfall at Granville was the lack of shade, but all of that aside, a great local atmosphere, tons of kids running around getting signatures, some quality football (albeit a bit disorganized), but a great day and more importantly a top effort of community involvement form the tahs. The only question i have is why this wasn't advertised to death........this is what is needed big time in the west!!!!!! More of it please.

Onto my thoughts on the games/players:

V Randwick:
Horwitz organised very well from flyhalf and moved the ball to the line well, McKibbon got a lot of quick ball and looked very in control. Skelton was getting plenty of go forward as was Ryan & Chapman with the dusty grey hair look going nicely!. Cliffy looked better a bit later into the run, but started slowly. Of the new guys who imposed well was Dempsey. Dempsey got plenty of running in and was very much involved in the loose, could be a good Higginbotham type back rower. Big T was immense down the side. Good, hard go forward. Some quality play form him, although, i would like to see him replicate at the next level. Speed may not be his strong point, but very strong into contact close to the line. Would love to see him on that Rob Horne line in from the blind a bit more!!! Well done to Randwick who came out hard and held back nothing, including some fists. The red head 8 from the Wicks was into everything, and eventually into the Tahs, earning a yellow for his troubles!

V Sydney Uni:
Uni came out hard and constant errors seemed to shake the tahs a bit and they started behind on the board. Eventually some consistency started to head their way and go forward was the order of the day. At the time i assumed Skelton was doing a lot of the punching up the middle, only to realise he was on the bench, so the punching was being done by Lousi. Didn't see him in the lineout, but he was getting good meters forward. Big impresser in this one was Stewart in the centres. Scored one and generally punched forward very well. Could be a very good AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) replacement, as he looks like the type to make quality meters forward. Hugh Roach was into everything, and interestingly started the game at 7!! Eventually went into 2 to replace Latu who was blowing fairly hard. Big T again making good meters and linking well with the outside backs.

V Parramatta:
Tahs started to roll on the replacements, again Stewart Impressed. Kurtley came on in this part and was getting into everything. Looked very vocal and really enthusiastic. Not always his best involvements, but he looked like he was taking on a big time leadership role out on the field and that can only be a good thing for him and the tahs. The best of the tahs in this portion was Holloway. Scored one try backing up a break by the winger and was generally getting into anything and everything. If they can squeeze him into the second row, he would have to be up there as the most athletic and dynamic locks in world rugby, as he has a monster motor and loves the contact!! Watch this space! Couple of the young 20's guys got on here, with Hanigan from Randwick looking very comfortable alongside the more experienced boys, and McCalman from Uni looking very busy around the park.

The key highlights/standouts from the hitouts i suppose were Big T, dominant on the wing and good at what he did. Only question for the bosses is, alongside Horne, do you have Big T, Betham, Carraro or Kellaway. Betham i think might still be out, and Big T would have to be a nose in front. Stewart & Dempsey were very good and offer plenty of encouragement at the prospect of what is to come in 2016! Kurtley looked really interested and keen for involvement and skelton looked in seriously good nick. Holloway is one who could be a real bolter to stamp the foot down this season in some role! All in all encouraging stuff form the tahs! Very pumped up for Campbelltown on friday night

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think he will need to play in the SS every week,to try and fast track his education.
We might be in a bit of trouble if the ranks thin out to the level that he gets a jumper this year.

I agree.

I think Skelton, Potgieter, Chapman, Dennis and perhaps Holloway will be the main locks used this year. I think we'll be pretty average at set piece again but fit, fast and physical in open play. We'll be filling lock with converted backrowers but I think we've got so many good ones. Jed Holloway and Tala Gray will go well this year and are too good not to be getting on the field in Super Rugby.

On a side note, I thought Matt Philip did alright at lock for a young guy when he came on (assuming I'm right and he was the number 20).

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I was pretty impressed with Vasa Faleali'i on Saturday. He looks like a good recruit and should be ready to step up to the matchday 23 if either Phipps or McKibbin are injured. Certainly looks to be a good replacement for McKibbin next season.
He was pretty good I thought, although I suspect we really need to see him put under more pressure than was the case on Saturday. Promising.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
He seemed completely unready to take a pass from the lineout when the ball was given to Robinson quickly. I thought both scrumhalves made some errors but typically I didn't notice when every thing went fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Holloway would be a good bench player to fill anywhere 4, 5, 6, or 8. Got some pace too.

Status
Not open for further replies.