• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld election promises

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So which rugby clubs have been promised what if their candidate is returned to power next weekend? Just saw a letter from our man (Scott Emmerson for Indooroopilly) has promised $200k to my Taylor Bridge Bullsharks if he gets re-elected.

Saw the Wynnum bugs promised $75k for the same deal with their man.

Any other rugby clubs going to benefit ?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Not heard much local, i am in an electorate with a 18% majority so nothing been promised here.

Newman said yesterday though that electorates cannot expect the promises fulfilled unless the local LNP member is returned. I'd say the bullsharks look ok but the bugs not so much. :(

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
So which rugby clubs have been promised what if their candidate is returned to power next weekend? Just saw a letter from our man (Scott Emmerson for Indooroopilly) has promised $200k to my Taylor Bridge Bullsharks if he gets re-elected.

Saw the Wynnum bugs promised $75k for the same deal with their man.

Any other rugby clubs going to benefit ?

Absolutely nothing promised to Souths, so once again we will struggle, especially with the new ARU registration process and insurance levy. Grassroots Rugby gets the shaft again!!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Of course they have

On Sunday 11th January 2015, as part of his plan to keep Queensland and Ashgrove strong, the Premier, Campbell Newman gave a commitment if the LNP was re-elected, that funding of $1 m would be provided to upgrade and expand the Ashgrove Sports Ground and Ashgrove Bowls Club carpark and for the construction of a new state-of-the-art training oval at St Johns Wood, the home of GPS Rugby Club, one of the oldest and largest sporting clubs in Australia.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
apparently they will take over some of the army's land (which I assume is over the creek?) with the army doing a lot of the clearing etc?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I misrepresented earlier. Apparently 10k has been promosed to a netball club in mu electorate..... that's it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It will be over tomorrow. Thete will be a winner but it won't be the people of Qld.

No asset sales and no cruise ship terminal on the Gold Coast.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Heard some reports that GPS Rugby Club sent out a letter to members asking/telling them to vote for Campbell Newman. If this is true I think it is an inappropriate act to try to dictate to their members. They are a rugby club not a political party. If the LNP is critical of unions trying to influence their members and use membership fees for political purposes then what I assume would have been club funds from memberships, used for political purposes is equally inappropriate. They have been sufficiently pork-barrelled over the last few years.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Breakdown - Let me remind you that tonight's result has nothing to do with Centrelink unemployment cheques which are a Federal responsibility.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I remember the last changing of a Liberal Govt to Labor..

Way back when John Howard lost and Kevin Rudd's razor gang came in and scrapped the Ballymore development.

Seriously.. This was a joke. Queensland is the Rugby heart ground of Australia and that bit of infrastructure was well needed. There's still no hall of fame built in Herston which is sad.

On the flipside it was pretty cool when Campbell Newman came in and scrapped the Brisbane Lions funding out at Springfield. I mean It sucks for AFL Development, But the whole liberal/labor footy codes wars eye for eye, tooth for tooth was on full display here... The Athletes/fans lose out due to the govt playing cutting games with one another.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
warhorse, without trying to turn GAGR into a political war-zone I will say that the letter that was sent out to GPS Members on behalf of the club ruffled some feathers among supporters. The letter definitely wasn't as black and white as 'Vote for Campbell!' but it was still a bit out of place to be coming from the rugby club and several prominent club members have voiced this opinion.

In regards to the money that was promised to the club for renos, new fields etc I think you will find that the Enoggera Barracks are still keen to move a head with the plan so will most likely provide funding for it anyway, from what I've heard.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Governments should not be involved in funding of reno's upgrade etc. It should be up to the club to fund raise/ get sponsorship. There's already perceived favouritism in clubland (not just rugby) about getting the rub of the green from the regulatory bodies without taxpayer money being kicked in to the most suitable electorate.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Governments should not be involved in funding of reno's upgrade etc. It should be up to the club to fund raise/ get sponsorship. There's already perceived favouritism in clubland (not just rugby) about getting the rub of the green from the regulatory bodies without taxpayer money being kicked in to the most suitable electorate.

disagree completely. Clubs provide a valuable community service and governments have an obligation to continue to support such service.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
My point may have been missed (or probably poorly made)
Support and contribute funds - yes
Pay for upgrades (in the order of $1m) not necessary for provision of a valuable community service - no.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm with the Baron.
Funding for an amenities block,or lighting for a multi purpose oval is great.
Millions to upgrade a stand or build a hall of fame,not so much.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Going off the initial post re cash injections, it should be a case of the clubs putting in an application for funding based on the benefits it will provide to the community, $x has been raised by us but we need another $40k so we can do blah so it could be used in the off season by.....
Not a case of heres some cash...enjoy the new dominator scrum machine and strapping tables and whatever else you fancy. p.s. A vote in return would be a nice way of saying thanks.
Maybe the former is what happened with bugs and Taylor Bridge. im just going off the brief post Reg so maybe the cash is in response to some application for facilities benefitting more than the rugby club.... Like the gym stuff at s'bank

Status
Not open for further replies.