• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Craft beer thread

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Interesting to note Lion Nathan got nine gongs on that list while Carlton could only scratch up one. Sorta backs up my earlier observation CUB have done SFA with Matilda Bay since swallowing it up all those years ago. A crying shame, they had some delicious drops (Red Back, Dogbolter) which the marketing fuckwits have decided we don't like. Try and find an Alpha Pale Ale, a Bohemian Pilsner or a Helga at your local bottleo. Good luck.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I had the Moo Brew IPA/APA on the weekend. Bloody terrific it was too.
Well at $600 a carton you'd hope it's terrific.

Only 1 Lager in the Top 100 seems too low for mine. Australians drink a stack of Lager. We should make better ones. I'd actually rate the James Squire Sundown Lager & Vale Lagers ahead of the Stone & Wood one that did sneak in.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Well at $600 a carton you'd hope it's terrific.

Only 1 Lager in the Top 100 seems too low for mine. Australians drink a stack of Lager. We should make better ones. I'd actually rate the James Squire Sundown Lager & Vale Lagers ahead of the Stone & Wood one that did sneak in.

The problem is that lager is a dirty word amongst the craft beer set; I've said it before but there has been an unhealthy obsession with IPA and all things hoppy over the last few years.

I guess the 'market' views lager in the same way that 'wine drinkers' (i.e. the fashionable type) have shunned chardonnay out-of-hand - and instead of a good mix, bottle-os and producers respond to the demand and fill their shelves with beers that have a play on the word 'hop' in their title, their wine racks with Marlborough SemSauvBlancs, or worse, with 'cheeky' ciders.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Calling beers "lager" or "pale ale", it's similar to the progression we've had in Australian wine nomenclature when we've moved from calling white wine "Chablis" to "Chardonnay", it's the same. "Lager" comes from the German "laager", which means "to leave", or to "store" in a brewing context. Lagering beer under cold storage conditions, compared to the warm and fast brewing technique used for English ales, resulted in a crisper brew with carbonation, much better suited to our hot climate than the rich, flat ales brought here by the Poms. Most of the beers on that list would've been lagered in cold fermentation tanks, what the new craft beer revolution has done is use correct, internationally-accepted names to describe the various brews. Hence Pale Ale rather than IPA, or simply "ale".

The daggy old brands the mainstream brewers've put out for 150 years (VB/XXXX Bitter/Tooheys New/Foster's Lager/Resch's Pilsener/Tooheys Old Black Ale/Kent Old Brown Ale) are all Australian derivations of English ales using the new German lagering method introduced by the Foster brothers in 1888; they should more accurately be called "Australian ales". There're no beers in the world like these Australian English/German brews, the breweries adapted their English recipes to Australian conditions. This can be seen specifically in the two Olds, Tooheys Black and Kent Brown, here the modern brewers have tricked the yeasts, which were originally used to top ferment in warm conditions, to work as bottom-fermenting yeasts in cold storage tanks.

This current fascination with IPAs will soon wear off, they're too bitter. When I was with one of the two main Australian brewers a bitterness of 26/27 IBUs was considered over the top, now I see some IPAs rated up to 50 or 60, they're out of balance and will soon lose popularity (and I like a bitter beer!). A bit like those massively over-wooded Chardonnays of 10/15 years ago, they were out of balance. Balance and overall enjoyment's everything in beer and wine.

There endeth the brewing history lesson.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
This current fascination with IPAs will soon wear off, they're too bitter. When I was with one of the two main Australian brewers a bitterness of 26/27 IBUs was considered over the top, now I see some IPAs rated up to 50 or 60, they're out of balance and will soon lose popularity (and I like a bitter beer!). A bit like those massively over-wooded Chardonnays of 10/15 years ago, they were out of balance. Balance and overall enjoyment's everything in beer and wine.

There endeth the brewing history lesson.

I'd be interested to hear what you think the next direction craft beer will take?

The current fascination with animal level hops is a lot about breaking free of the shackles of traditional brewing. And the actual "craft" Brewers will need to keep evolving their point of difference to keep the momentum going.

I suspect the direction Aus Brewers will take will be closely behind their American counterparts, which involves adding a lot of non traditional ingredients.

But I for one hope to always be able to buy a Feral Brewing Company Hop Hog.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I for one hope to always be able to buy a Feral Brewing Company Hop Hog.

As long as Feral exists you'll never have a problem. The bigger craft guys will have their mainstays and will experiment with small batches.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
At the rate they're selling beer and gathering gongs you shouldn't have a problem getting your gums around a Feral brew, CWA, they're bloody delicious!

Just got back from a week by the beach at Coolangatta, had a few beers in the local pubs and all the surf clubs (licensed surf clubs, what a top idea). It was interesting to see the tap arrangements when I ordered at the bar: very few daggy old brands. Lion Nathan seem to've tied up the surf clubs, and there were more James Squire taps than XXXX; the one pub committed to Carlton brands had one, yes one, Matilda Bay tap, that stupidly-named Minimum Chips. And it's very ordinary. CUB seem to think we Australians are going to get all worked up over some Italian beauty beckoning us to buy a Peroni. Another ordinary beer. But it confirmed to me the two mainstream brewers have realised modern beer drinkers want something more than their fathers did. One bloke sidled up next to me at the bar at the Rainbow Bay SLSC (magnificent spot) and asked for a Carlton Draught, to be told it wasn't on tap here. The poor bastard couldn't believe it, "no Carlton Draught!", he didn't know what to do. He obviously wasn't familiar with the James Squire range in front of him and ended up ordering a Tooheys New. A dying breed.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I certainly have developed a massive taste for IPAs in the last couple of years. I'm probably more likely to have an IPA or at least a more bitter ale in the fridge than a clearer lager style.

A few years ago I would have almost always had Coopers or Fat Yak or some other pale ale in the fridge.

As for lagers, I think James Boags Premium Lager is one of the best in the country. Excellent beer.

That said, as I've got older I'm more likely to have 3 or 4 beers than 8 or 9 beers :D The more bitter beers are definitely less of a 'sessionable' beer than a pale ale or a lager.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't think big hoppy flavours will be going anywhere in a hurry but I am noticing a trend to deviate from the traditional IPA style. At my local craft bottle-o I've noticed a few wheat beer styled IPAs (white IPAs I think is the term?) and also hoppy red ales.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This ad was shown during the USA Superbowl.

It would seem that craft beer sales may have the big Beer Companies (& producers of lightly alcoholised brown water drinks) worried about their market share in the USA.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
If anyone has time to look more into that Budweiser ad and the responses it generated I highly suggest it. Definitely put a lot of people offside and I don't think earned the response they wanted.

Interesting to note that the parent company who owns Budweiser recently acquired Elysian Brewery, a fairly well known craft brand in the US. Needless to say the Elysian staff were perplexed as to why their new bosses would turn face like that - the pumpkin peach ale they mention in the ad is actually a style brewed seasonally by Elysian.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-foo...y-foreign-brewing-giants-20150211-13bd25.html

Article is about the contracting approach from SAB Miller and Kirin which effectively forces small local producers out of the market.

Keep voting with our feet, methinks.

"An SABMiller contract, seen by Fairfax Media, demands that its company be the exclusive supplier of all light-strength draught beer; all low-carbohydrate draught beers; all domestic premium and sub-premium draught beers; all imported draught beers; all specialty and craft draught beers; and all draught spirits and ciders.

The contract specifies that Foster's, now CUB, will supply beer mats, coasters, signage and promotional products. A second CUB contract specifies locking up taps for exclusive rights for three years or more."

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
That article does go on to say how a lot of the 'mainstream' craft breweries are now owned by SABMiller and Kirin. I don't think many of the small craft producers would have the capacity to fill the taps in major establishments such as RSLs and large venue pubs etc, which seems to be what the article is talking about. Hopefully the big companies continue to fill those venues with the likes of Squires and Matilda Bay etc.

I doubt SABMiller will be able to get contracts with the boutique craft bars which are more aimed towards the smaller distributors both from Australia and abroad.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Enjoyed an Anchor Steamed Beer yesterday. Product of the world's smallest brewery located in San Francisco according to its label. Only 4.9% alcohol. Does it qualify as a craft beer?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Enjoying a Wihenstephaner Weissbeir Dunkel with the Tahs Force game. Seriously good beer. Such a delicate character for a dark beer.