• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer of 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
... and hasn't played since. And has serious questions over his relationship with his peers.

Look, I'm as much for keeping useless Victorians like White out of the squad as anyone, but the fact is, we've already got Maxwell and Bailey (Tasmanians are just Victorians that can swim) so we have to deal with it. And that includes White's inclusion if Clarke breaks down (though personally I'd go for the other Marsh).

If he contributes to a CWC win, then more power to you.

If he gets injured, I reserve the right to say "Nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah!" in your face every time we meet.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I just don't see who the replacement is and whoever they are, they won't make the first choice XI.

For that reason I think you may as well pick him. If he gets injured again and you replace him, so be it. You'd essentially be bringing in the same batsman who still wouldn't get a game.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm not in favour of taking half fit players into big tournaments/tours. We've criticised the Poms for doing it and rightly so. Unless Clarke is fully fit or close to it he shouldn't play IMHO. You don't want him or the blokes around him wondering whether he can go the distance or not.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
ABC News hit a new low .... Interviewing Bollywood stars at the AACTA awards tonight ... and the caption in question "Brett Lee - Actor" ... but possibly better than "Russell Crowe - Singer" ...can't wait to see Brett on the Fantales wrapper.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Finch's dismissal was more a case of good bowling, 2nd ball of the innings and it was moving around quite a bit. To be fair, I think Anderson deserves some credit. Some people forget Finch was our leading runscorer in ODI's last year and also, we are two weeks out from the WC - it would be stupid to drop him now.

Maxwell stood up today when it counted and Bailey has to go. Either Clarke or S.Marsh should come in.

However more importantly, we need to pray that Faulkner is okay. He would be a HUUUUGE loss. I don't even want to think what our side looks like without him.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
However more importantly, we need to pray that Faulkner is okay. He would be a HUUUUGE loss. I don't even want to think what our side looks like without him.

Agree. JF has been in excellent form with bat and ball. Would definitely be missed. Options to replace him if necessary are probably Henriques, Coulter-Nile or Abbott. Any other all rounders?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maxwell stood up today when it counted and Bailey has to go. Either Clarke or S.Marsh should come in.

This is why we need Clarke to be fit and captain the team. If he isn't there, Bailey will be the captain and will be in the XI.

Clarke scored a 50 for Wests in grade cricket on Saturday and importantly spent about 3 hours in the middle. His comeback seems to be going well (touch wood). He plays another game this week where he will start fielding as well.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Options to replace him if necessary are probably Henriques, Coulter-Nile or Abbott. Any other all rounders?

None of the above hopefully. It just places more pressure on Watson, Maxwell, and M.Marsh to pick up the slack. One of those three will need to bowl at the death too which is where the problems might arise.

Without Faulkner our side still looks okay provided Watson finds form.

Warner
Finch
Watson
Smith
Clarke/S.Marsh
Maxwell
M.Marsh
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Hazlewood

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Where does Shaun Marsh come from? He may take Clarke's spot in the squad if he has to withdraw through injury but that would make Bailey captain of the team.

I think that Bailey will be in the XI and captain unless Clarke plays.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
You're probably right.

Personally, I think without Faulkner we can't afford any passengers in the middle order. Bailey is exactly that, and has been for the last 12 months. His form hasn't remotely looked like improving either.

Although I'm not a huge fan, S. Marsh was pretty impressive in the Big Bash final and looked good when he covered for Warner.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Michael Clarke plays his next game today against Bangladesh. This time he'll be doing some fielding as well as batting. Reports so far suggest he's right on track.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Impressive tons for Maxwell (122*) and Warner (104) in the warm up today, Indians looking to chase down 372.

Meanwhile Chris Lynn on 250* on day 2 of the Shield game between QLD & Vic. He can't be far away from the test side.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Question for the ACB wallahs: how come both Clarke and Faulkner have been set such stringent fitness standards while F U Watson waltzes straight back into the team when his hamstring's "better"? When is Watson EVER completely fit?

Lindo's fitness test for Shane: two Sheffield Shield matches, with both batting AND bowling, to be completed without incident after every injury before a return to the Australian side's considered.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Read an interesting article on Maxwell from Cricinfo today (link below). It seems he's worked out the mental side of his game and is trying to work his way into an innings before unleashing the big shots. I'm glad to hear it, because we've seen him do some pretty brainless stuff at times in 50 over cricket. He's got bags of talent, but at times I question his mental approach.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/story/827667.html

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
50 overs is a pretty long time to bat.​
Players like Warner and Maxwell (and Warner is certainly already there) just need to realise that if they face more than 50 deliveries there is almost no way their strike rate won't be above 100.​
It's got to be about time at the crease for them and thinking that if they get their eye in and bat for a while they won't be needing to worry about their strike rate.​

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Finch is another who fits into that category.

There are some who are even calling for him to open the batting in the longer domestic form of the game. I'm a subscriber to the belief that if you have the talent and the application, anything is possible. Finch certainly has the talent for test cricket and obviously has an exceptional eye and timing.

I think the worrying signs for Finch so close to the world cup are that even when he has put together a decent knock (at least in the last few ODI's) it has been at far slower than a run a ball. For such an aggressive opening player who makes a living from scoring quickly in short forms that has to be concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.