• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would have thought this is the very definition of underdone.
Of the 8 starters that you mention,how many will play a full game?
40 odd minutes is not much to get your timing back,for the start of the season.

They don't play the final in February

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Last week?
No.
But I think last week had very little value in terms of getting a Soup side ready for the start of the comp.
It's obviously a delicate balancing act to be ready at both ends of the season.
Maybe it's the right idea to have this sort of a prep.
But it is a risk,because in my view they will be underdone for their first game.
We can't bank on winning 9? Straight at the back end every year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Last week?
No.
But I think last week had very little value in terms of getting a Soup side ready for the start of the comp.
It's obviously a delicate balancing act to be ready at both ends of the season.
Maybe it's the right idea to have this sort of a prep.
But it is a risk,because in my view they will be underdone for their first game.
We can't bank on winning 9? Straight at the back end every year.

Trials are a difficult thing. The Rebels were dominant in their trials last season and then generally sucked.

I agree that it's a delicate balancing act and I'd like to think that part of that was deciding which players needed the game time and which players Cheika was happy to sit out and rely on only one trial to be ready for the season.

You might find that the Tahs treat this one against the Chiefs much closer to a regular game and play the bulk of their key players for much of the game rather than changing most of the team at half time as tends to happen in trials.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think part of the problem is the trial against club sides is so far from super level it doesn't really offer much in terms of preparation. That's not to say it shouldn't happen, it's a great initiative and helps engage the base going into the season, it just shouldn't be done at the expensive of enough trials vs other super sides.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Last week,there were plenty of players who will not play SS at all this year having a run against the Tahs.
That is no benefit to the pros at all,especially when the full time Tahs players were outnumbered by freddy fill ins in Tahs jerseys in each of the games.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I guess we'll see how they go this Friday. If they get blown off the park by the Chiefs then that summation is probably correct but I don't think that will happen.

From reading reports of the other trials (and watching the Reds v Rebels), it seems like the players who are most ready to go are the test players and they've been at preseason training for less time than anyone else.

I think the value from the trial against Shute Shield sides was largely in sorting out a few players gunning for the couple of open starting XV spots and bench spots.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
You might find that the Tahs treat this one against the Chiefs much closer to a regular game and play the bulk of their key players for much of the game rather than changing most of the team at half time as tends to happen in trials.

Agree. A clue here is that the Gen Blue senior team is playing in the curtain raiser. Last year this team was made up of players not in a matchday 23 that week. Therefore the Waratahs should be playing most of the regular team, though Dave Dennis is still a marginal prospect.

Tala Gray and Pete Betham will also be missing with Betham no chance.

And .......................

JACKPOT IS BACK and looking in great shape.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I had a quick chat to Tala on Saturday and he said he was hoping to be right for this Friday but it seemed hopeful more than anything. On that basis you'd think he'd be available for round 1.

Given he's been injured he'll be behind Holloway at least to start the season. Given how well he went in the NRC (and Holloway as well) hopefully Cheika is happy to cycle through his players a bit to give these guys a run this year. We won't lose anything switching between Hoiles, Holloway, Gray etc. on the bench.

Rugby Is My Life

Herbert Moran (7)
Trials are trials - don't read too much into them. Don't forget the Tahs started last season in mixed fashion before 'turning the corner' and going undefeated from the 'Canes game through to the GF.

Regardless it's just exciting to have some rugby back - let's hope the crowds we saw in the 'golden days' return and Allianz is packed every week!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I saw a familiar face at Tahs training today but couldn't place him.

Then it clicked - I couldn't place him because he was in the wrong country. It was Mario Ledesma the sacked forwards coach at Montpellier who also worked with Cheika at Stade Francais in the same role.

They said he was just observing but he had Tahs trainer's gear on and gave a bit of advice to the hookers throwing and to Paddy Ryan and Fat Cat on their scrum position.

Some said that Cheika was bringing him in to help the Wallabies.

Helluva nice chap.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I saw a familiar face at Tahs training today but couldn't
place him.

Then it clicked - I couldn't place him because he was in the wrong country. It was Mario Ledesma the sacked forwards coach at Montpellier who also worked with Cheika at Stade Francais in the same role.

They said he was just observing but he had Tahs trainer's gear on and gave a bit of advice to the hookers throwing and to Paddy Ryan and Fat Cat on their scrum position.

Some said that Cheika was bringing him in to help the Wallabies.

Helluva nice chap.

Eureka

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It would be great if he remained coach for the Tahs and/or Wallabies but I read he's shadowing the Tahs in preparation to be the Argentina Super franchise head coach next year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Heard that also from somebody from the Argentine press living in Oz.

He also confirmed that once the Argies are in Super Rugby that national coach Hourcade will not choose overseas players.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting spin coming out of the Tah's camp. Cheika seems to be working hard on ensuring egos are in check and they appreciate the effort and attitude is there

"I don't think we are in the position yet where we can claim to be the team to beat," said Nick Phipps, the Waratahs and Wallabies half-back on Tuesday after the Waratahs trained at Moore Park for their final trial game against the Chiefs at Campbelltown Sports Stadium on Friday night.
"Last year we had a great season, but we haven't earned the right as some of the other clubs have in their dynasties to be able to come out and say 'We are going to defend the title' and things like that.
"We certainly don't have any right to say we want to go back to back or anything like that.
"There are other teams like the Crusaders … even the Chiefs to an extent … they have earned the right to be able to say they want to be in that top two every year.
"We found our identity last year as a club and we just want to keep playing like that and hone it. We still haven't reached out potential."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/n...hey-are-the-team-to-beat-20150203-134l18.html

Status
Not open for further replies.