• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fair Call but I get the vibes things are worse than a Grand Final Hangover
Without being too critical before the premiership win of the Blacks last year they had struggled for a fair while as has the Leeton Phantoms - The Hay Cutters have been good in 3rds in recent years but won't commit to regular Rugby - I don't know if a strong MIA means a strong SIRU because that hasn't been the case in recent years- I reckon strong Temoras, Albury & Tumut in recent years has boosted the local Competition
Lets hope the Blacks & Phantoms have good competitive seasons this yera

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I don't know if a strong MIA means a strong SIRU because that hasn't been the case in recent years- I reckon strong Temoras, Albury & Tumut in recent years has boosted the local Competition

Agree, the point is that clubs outside the major centre need to be strong for the competition to be strong, hopefully we have another strong competition in 2015.

berrablue

Frank Nicholson (4)
Here's an interning one... I heard that Rogos contract at Easts didn't happen and he will be back coaching in SIRU? If true, you would think the phantoms may be getting a boost? The rumour that Vunibaka is heading to Leeton has been around for a while so this would make sense. Can anyone confirm?
Any news on Waratahs coaching front? From what I hear there pre season has been covered but still no head coach.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I heard that Rogos contract at Easts didn't happen and he will be back coaching in SIRU? Can anyone confirm?
Get your mole to confirm... :) Maybe someone at Easts has some mail? @Empire

Any news on Waratahs coaching front? From what I hear there pre season has been covered but still no head coach.
Nothing confirmed as yet, I know they have fielded a couple of applicants but nothing in concrete yet.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Mail I'm getting is Will Mitchell is going to coach Waratahs this year & as far as the Seru Rogo situation is concerned the word is he has linked with the Phantoms - should be a good first up clash between the Blacks & Phantoms this year !!!! - might need some Security Guards on deck at Leeton who I think will host the Blacks this season before the Split

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
intersetint to read the latest obn the Southern Inland Website - sounds like SIRU are concerned about a few Clubs not coming up with 1st & 2nd Grade sides this year
My predictions are no Coota , Temora, Leeton or Griffith 2nds in 2015 and they get told by SIRU they have to play in a 1 club Comp with Deni, Hay & Junee
Whilst I see the goods and bads with this situation I bet a few of thoose Clubs won't be happy

rugbyfollower

Frank Nicholson (4)
Why don't siru and respective clubs boycott the farsical ARU fees and levies. Even the senior player casual levy is $30 per game. Disgraceful bureaucracy disguised revenue raising for Israel folau's salary.

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
Yeh I'm pretty sure we won't have any casual guys rock up and pay $30 to play a game......That's a packet of Fags and a six pack

rugbyfollower

Frank Nicholson (4)
No not trolling at all, genuinely what are the reasons for the smaller towns like temora, cootamundra et al potentially not putting forward a 2nd grade team? Is it to do with ARU and insurance levies? My bet is that it is. ARU levies and insurance plus club subs makes rugby an expensive choice. Sure rugby fanatics and tragics will always play, but if 2nd and 3rd graders are made up of some fringe league converts they will go back. I hope I'm wrong but with the well documented and rumoured ARU financial situation what are people expected to think?

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
who cares what the reason is if some Teams don't have a 2nd Grade - go and ask Young & Tumut why they have got 2 Grades - Despite all the fears about the new Fees etc it might actually flush out some more committed players who only play when they feel like it (usually home games) and don't want to pay any money out of their pocket to pay for Insurance - The Comp will move on but some Clubs may regret their decisions in the long run
SIRU needs to build its comp on the committed players and Clubs not the fringe players who like to pick & choose their matches

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
SIRU Rep Program Update:

Ok, so we know that SIRU are going to Country Week in Bowral on the 2nd and 3rd of March which is an improvement to the Rep Program.

The 2015 Brumbies Provincial Championships will be held in Wagga over the June Long Weekend which is a bonus for the zone and SIRU do support this event very well.

One big addition to the 2015 program is the Brumbies Provincial Team (combination of SIRU, Monaro and Far South Coast) will play the NSW Country Cockatoos as a curtain raiser to the Brumbies v Crusaders match in Canberra on Saturday 13th June.

This match is no doubt a step up from the Australian Police Team in recent years and is a genuine opportunity for rep players to strut their stuff against players from across the state. What a grudge match that will be. I'd give my left nut to have play in that match.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
SIRU Rep Program Update:

Ok, so we know that SIRU are going to Country Week in Bowral on the 2nd and 3rd of March which is an improvement to the Rep Program.

The 2015 Brumbies Provincial Championships will be held in Wagga over the June Long Weekend which is a bonus for the zone and SIRU do support this event very well.

One big addition to the 2015 program is the Brumbies Provincial Team (combination of SIRU, Monaro and Far South Coast) will play the NSW Country Cockatoos as a curtain raiser to the Brumbies v Crusaders match in Canberra on Saturday 13th June.

This match is no doubt a step up from the Australian Police Team in recent years and is a genuine opportunity for rep players to strut their stuff against players from across the state. What a grudge match that will be. I'd give my left nut to have play in that match.

I agree with your comments and the opportunity which Country Week presents, as well as playing NSW Country is a fantastic thing for the players of SIRU.

Having been lucky enough to play at Country Week at u/19 and Snr level ( I like to think not too long ago!), it does provide a nostalgic opportunity for those in my vintage, however I know that the SIRU team will be well out of its depth. Although Ive only played a few thirsty thirds games over the years sonce moving to the zone,I have been a keen SIRU enthusiast & seen enough to tell me that the Country Week experience will be a nightmare and the curtain raiser agaist the Country Cockatoos will be a train wreck. Remember, the guys who will make up the squad for Country Cockatoos are playing a higher standard of rugby on weekly basis, some are semi professionals, some / many will be on the radar of Super Rugby Clubs and some will have been in proffessional systems in the past. I can tell you now, only about half a dozen players frokm SIRU will be able to hold their own at both events. Thats if they even nominate themselves to be selected!

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Don't agree with your line of thinking "Independent" regarding Counbtry Week & Rep game against Country.
How can you say the Country Week experience will be a Nightmare- SIRU is in the 2nd Division Competition of Country week (Richardson Cup) but will get a tiugh game against Illawarra if they clash, I'm pretty sure a Competive SIRU outfit will go OK against the other Zones (let's wait to we c the Draw !)
As far as the Rep game is concerned Brumbies Rugby apparently threw out the challenge for this match & Country accepted.There is no way that the Brumbies Prov Side will beat Country - but so what - the selected get good exposure and realise how strong the rest of NSW Country is - no problems there I wouldn't have thought- stop using words like Night mare & Train Wreck because they are comments that suggest that the End Result is much bigger than the Competition itself. I'm glad I wasn't playing with you in your Rep Glory Days - I think you might have been a bit of a White Flag Merchantor a win at all costs player
Also heard on the Grapevine that the thirsty 3rds mighn't be happening this year because of reduced nominations

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Don't agree with your line of thinking "Independent" regarding Counbtry Week & Rep game against Country.
How can you say the Country Week experience will be a Nightmare- SIRU is in the 2nd Division Competition of Country week (Richardson Cup) but will get a tiugh game against Illawarra if they clash, I'm pretty sure a Competive SIRU outfit will go OK against the other Zones (let's wait to we c the Draw !)
As far as the Rep game is concerned Brumbies Rugby apparently threw out the challenge for this match & Country accepted.There is no way that the Brumbies Prov Side will beat Country - but so what - the selected get good exposure and realise how strong the rest of NSW Country is - no problems there I wouldn't have thought- stop using words like Night mare & Train Wreck because they are comments that suggest that the End Result is much bigger than the Competition itself. I'm glad I wasn't playing with you in your Rep Glory Days - I think you might have been a bit of a White Flag Merchantor a win at all costs player
Also heard on the Grapevine that the thirsty 3rds mighn't be happening this year because of reduced nominations

Ok, "nightmare" might be too harsh, but it will definitely be a very bad dream! I hope I am proven wrong though.
I will stick to my thoughts on the game against NSW Country. That will be a train wreck and the more thought I put into it, it probably is an OH & S issue for the SIRU.
To be involved in a rep system like NSW Country, the standard of rugby and the rep program for the players in SIRU needs to lift significantly, just like they were in my "glory days". Cant recall scorelines or gaps between clubs in my day like there are in SIRU.

My "rep glory days" Sicnarf, were always win at all costs, as well clubs games I played for. If it is anything else, why bother pulling on a jumper?

The loss of Thirsty 3rds would be very, very detrimental to the SIRU comp. I hope it stays alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.