• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt charged with cocaine supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
If found guilty then he is obviously sacked, but I think there's a case for unfair dismissal if he is sacked before been found guilty.

I don't think that's necessarily correct. It'll depend on the terms of his contract. These sporting organisation often have contractual clauses which provide that being charged with certain offences is a ground for contract termination, regardless of guilt.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
pfft but this was to break the Kurtley Beale page count.. we need a kick start ;) .. Obviously KHunt was supplying Beale.. ;) (JOKING JOKING)

I predict big things for this thread: 5 hours and 9 pages in and we still don't have a single fact as to the basis for the charges.
We've had mention of unmentionables.
Godwin's law with its rugby sub-clause is in play: 2015 rugby season has begun

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am going to take the approach so many of you lot have taken whenever any of your own players have fucked up:

From this point forward I will ignore any and all evidence that is contrary to my desire for the reds to have a good season and shall make repeated and nonsensical arguments that in no way address any of the salient points that any of you choose to make, nor any of the subsequent facts that may come to light.

I think he should play and this is obviously a small.and inconsequential matter. Surely we should all just be focusing on the rugb.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
Ok, I get all this innocent till proven guilty stuff, so will reserve actual judgement until a later date.

But having said that, I agree that I doubt such a high profile person would have been arrested had there not been some pretty good reason.

The big issue I have (if he is guilty, feel like I have to include that) is that he has been handling cocaine, whether for himself or others. If for others, then it sends a pretty damning message that he thinks its ok for people to be using it. If he has been using himself well that speaks for itself, I have no time for those who use drugs. Don't care how widespread it is, I've seen the ill effects of it too often.

if you ask me he should be suspended pending the outcome of the court hearing, without pay. He has set a very poor example to all of the young children who no doubt already looked up to him ... allegedly.

If he pleads guilty then immediately terminate his contract. This should not even be a question.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
Why? If he's just given a fine then I have no problem with him still playing.

Maybe its just me, but I do have a problem with someone who pleads guilty to supplying cocaine continuing to have a contract with any Australian rugby team, no matter what the punishment is, fine, jail time or warning.

If he pleads guilty it means he did it, and to me that says he shouldn't have a contract any more.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Soo. What? Every player who ever commits a criminal offence shouldn't be allowed to play professional rugby? Cliffy Palu's arrest for assault back in the day bothers me more than Hunt picking up some coke for him and his mates. People make mistakes.

Dunno what the answer is.
Snorting (am I showing my age?) coke as a once off at a party is in the "shit happens" spectrum.
Belting someone is in the "real shit happens" category.
Having contact with a drug syndicate prepared to deal with you? That might be indicative of some unsavoury connections.
Bottom line: who needs this shit from a bloke who stood too deep in attack?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Sure, which is why I'm saying leave it up to the legal system. You're sticking your head in the sand if you think he's the first, or last, rugby player to be involved with drugs though.

Then again, I didn't want JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale lynched for eating at Hungry Jacks so I'll probably be in the minority on this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.